Hide
13 Posts

Codenames: Duet» Forums » Variants

Subject: Codenames duet with 4 players instead of regular codenames? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher J
msg tools
In theory, it sounds like this game would play really well with 4 people. Each side would have 2 people. You take turns giving clues (either no communication, only pointing out the words your clue should be for, or writing), which allows everyone to participate in clue giving. You can discuss the clues you are given when guessing, which is fun too and is the main social aspect of the game.

That sounds better than 2 because you can discuss with another person. It sounds better than the usual 4 player codenames too because of the discussion part.

So how does it actually play out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jernchr11 wrote:
In theory, it sounds like this game would play really well with 4 people. Each side would have 2 people. You take turns giving clues (either no communication, only pointing out the words your clue should be for, or writing), which allows everyone to participate in clue giving. You can discuss the clues you are given, which is fun too.

That sounds better than 2 because you can discuss with another person. It sounds better than the usual 4 player codenames too because of the discussion part.

I'm not sure this could work unless played silently (making the teams aspect pointless). As the two discussing will far too easily give away details about their keycard during their deliberation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With four players, I usually recommend Duet over the original version. You have to be careful when discussing what clues to give. We end up using the Notes feature of a phone to give suggestions. I'll come up with a potential clue and let my partner scan the board to see what he/she would pick. It turns out to be fun to have a partner when giving clues.

I imagined using Duet with even more players and two rooms, so there is almost a conference, but have not put that into practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Blumhardt
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
jernchr11 wrote:
In theory, it sounds like this game would play really well with 4 people. Each side would have 2 people. You take turns giving clues (either no communication, only pointing out the words your clue should be for, or writing), which allows everyone to participate in clue giving. You can discuss the clues you are given, which is fun too.

I'm not sure this could work unless played silently (making the teams aspect pointless). As the two discussing will far too easily give away details about their keycard during their deliberation.

Most of my Duet plays have been 4-player, and it works great! We just use notepads so that each pair can bounce ideas off each other.

The only downside we've found is that, for us, the game is much easier at 4 than it is at 2. We've found that we have to play with fewer tokens to keep it a challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher J
msg tools
negatrev wrote:
jernchr11 wrote:

You still have to guess the words for the clues given to you. So that's the main team aspect that involves chatting out loud I would think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jernchr11 wrote:
negatrev wrote:
jernchr11 wrote:

You still have to guess the words for the clues given to you. So that's the main team aspect that involves chatting out loud I would think?

Yes, but your OWN key-card helps with this deliberation as well; 'Well, I know it can't be bag and bottle, because they are both assassins on my side and so at least one isn't an agent'. So in discussing what the answers could be, you could easily cheat if you aren't too careful. Any out-loud discussion in Duet can very easily accidentally cheat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 9
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just assign each side a designated clue-giver? This solution eliminates any need need for clue-givers to collaborate in secret while still preserving open discussion amongst players who are guessing the clues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewkapish wrote:
Why not just assign each side a designated clue-giver? This solution eliminates any need need for clue-givers to collaborate in secret while still preserving open discussion amongst players who are guessing the clues.

Because as I said above, openly discussing guesses could also easily give away information the other side shouldn't have, because part of the deduction of Duet is using YOUR keycard to help with the clues you receive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewkapish wrote:

Aw, but my favorite part of team-Duet is discussing what clues to give. This is why I use my phone's Notes feature to communicate with my teammate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer playing Duet with 4 people instead of 2. It works really well. You just have to discuss clues secretly - we type notes on a phone or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher J
msg tools
negatrev wrote:
jernchr11 wrote:
negatrev wrote:
jernchr11 wrote:

Yes, but your OWN key-card helps with this deliberation as well; 'Well, I know it can't be bag and bottle, because they are both assassins on my side and so at least one isn't an agent'. So in discussing what the answers could be, you could easily cheat if you aren't too careful. Any out-loud discussion in Duet can very easily accidentally cheat.

This one should be pretty easy to avoid by not mentioning the association of the assassin with the words you choose. The people on one side just need to be mindful of the assassin locations so they can just choose one of them and not ever guess the other ones.

Are there any other complexities like this case where one side has hidden knowledge that effects there clue guessing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jernchr11 wrote:
negatrev wrote:
jernchr11 wrote:
negatrev wrote:
jernchr11 wrote:

This one should be pretty easy to avoid by not mentioning the association of the assassin with the words you choose. The people on one side just need to be mindful of the assassin locations so they can just choose one of them and not ever guess the other ones.

Are there any other complexities like this case where one side has hidden knowledge that effects there clue guessing?

...that's my point, that you suddenly need to be very mindful about deliberations. One mistake and the game is ruined a little as you've made it easier. Also yes, you also know that 3 of your agents overlap with 3 of the other player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Inman
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Why not just alternate who gives clues? Maybe each side has a token that slides back and forth to indicate who is the next clue giver. Would probably help to keep some of the challenge with 4 players as you’re only able to collaborate and discuss on the answers to the clues not on what clues to give.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.