Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

John Company» Forums » Rules

Subject: Military Affairs logistics action: placing officers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to make sure I've understood this correctly. When performing the logistics action, the player in charge of military affairs distributes any guns and officers freely among the presidency army boxes. For each army box that had officers assigned, if there are vacant officer positions in the army, the player in charge of military affairs fill the vacant positions with new officers, and any excess new officers are returned to family supply. If there are no vacant positions, one old officer is replaced with a new one, and the old officer as well as any excess new officers are returned to family supply. In all cases the player in charge of military affairs chooses which officers to place and/or replace.

Is this correct?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nom_ wrote:
I just want to make sure I've understood this correctly. When performing the logistics action, the player in charge of military affairs distributes any guns and officers freely among the presidency army boxes. For each army box that had officers assigned, if there are vacant officer positions in the army, the player in charge of military affairs fill the vacant positions with new officers, and any excess new officers are returned to family supply. If there are no vacant positions, one old officer is replaced with a new one, and the old officer as well as any excess new officers are returned to family supply. In all cases the player in charge of military affairs chooses which officers to place and/or replace.

Is this correct?


Yup.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hollebeke
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nom_ wrote:
if there are vacant officer positions in the army, the player in charge of military affairs fill the vacant positions with new officers, and any excess new officers are returned to family supply.


But you can still replace old officers with new ones once all vacant positions have been filled. correct?

nom_ wrote:
If there are no vacant positions, one old officer is replaced with a new one, and the old officer as well as any excess new officers are returned to family supply.


This is not limited to only one replacement. correct?


As we play this the military affairs officer can distribute guns and officers in anyway he likes. Replacing as many old officers with new ones as he chooses.

Additional question: in another post think I saw that it is possible to send for example 4 officers to one army (automatically returning one new officer to the stock). Can you do this while there are still vacant positions in another army?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That is some of what I was wondering, too, but based on Cole's reply my understanding is:

Billtje wrote:
But you can still replace old officers with new ones once all vacant positions have been filled. correct?

If there were any vacancies to begin with, old officers cannot be replaced.

Billtje wrote:
This is not limited to only one replacement. correct?

It is limited to only one replacement.

Billtje wrote:
Additional question: in another post think I saw that it is possible to send for example 4 officers to one army (automatically returning one new officer to the stock). Can you do this while there are still vacant positions in another army?

Yes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Coeyman
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nom_ wrote:
That is some of what I was wondering, too, but based on Cole's reply my understanding is:

Billtje wrote:
But you can still replace old officers with new ones once all vacant positions have been filled. correct?

If there were any vacancies to begin with, old officers cannot be replaced.

Billtje wrote:
This is not limited to only one replacement. correct?

It is limited to only one replacement.

Billtje wrote:
Additional question: in another post think I saw that it is possible to send for example 4 officers to one army (automatically returning one new officer to the stock). Can you do this while there are still vacant positions in another army?

Yes.


Cole can you please confirm all 3 questions above?

In addition, let me ask for your feedback on a couple scenarios to test/clarify my understanding.

Scenario 1: There are no current officers in the presidency. 5 officers get assigned to be distributed. Which of these can happen? A) 3 new officers are assigned and 2 are returned to their owner. B) 2 new officers are assigned and 3 returned to their owner, leaving 1 vacancy.

Scenario 2: There are 2 current officers in the presidency. 3 new officers are assigned to be distributed. Which of these can happen? A) All 3 can be assigned, filling the vacancy first and then returning the 2 old officers to their owners. B) Only 1 new officer can be assigned and the other 2 new officers are returned while the old officers remain. C) 2 new officers can be assigned--one in the vacancy first, and then replacing 1 of the two old officers. Return the old officer and the remaining new officer.

To my understanding, for Scenario 1, only A is valid. For Scenario 2, I'm not really sure. All seem possible, but B and C both make sense to me.

And one last question. If say Bengal has 3 officers already and Madras has none. There is 1 officer to assign. From the rulebook "If an army has three officers, an old officer (stationed there at the start of the game turn) must be replaced by a new officer." This seems to state that the only choice the Director of Military Affairs has is which officer to replace in Bengal. Does he have a choice to instead fill a vacancy in Madras if he would prefer?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonc213 wrote:
nom_ wrote:
That is some of what I was wondering, too, but based on Cole's reply my understanding is:

Billtje wrote:
But you can still replace old officers with new ones once all vacant positions have been filled. correct?

If there were any vacancies to begin with, old officers cannot be replaced.

Billtje wrote:
This is not limited to only one replacement. correct?

It is limited to only one replacement.

Billtje wrote:
Additional question: in another post think I saw that it is possible to send for example 4 officers to one army (automatically returning one new officer to the stock). Can you do this while there are still vacant positions in another army?

Yes.


Cole can you please confirm all 3 questions above?


Short answers: Yes. Yes. Yes.

Quote:


In addition, let me ask for your feedback on a couple scenarios to test/clarify my understanding.

Scenario 1: There are no current officers in the presidency. 5 officers get assigned to be distributed. Which of these can happen? A) 3 new officers are assigned and 2 are returned to their owner. B) 2 new officers are assigned and 3 returned to their owner, leaving 1 vacancy.


Assuming there was only a single presidency in play (the others closed through conquest, revolt or whatnot), A is correct.

Quote:

Scenario 2: There are 2 current officers in the presidency. 3 new officers are assigned to be distributed. Which of these can happen? A) All 3 can be assigned, filling the vacancy first and then returning the 2 old officers to their owners. B) Only 1 new officer can be assigned and the other 2 new officers are returned while the old officers remain. C) 2 new officers can be assigned--one in the vacancy first, and then replacing 1 of the two old officers. Return the old officer and the remaining new officer.


Again, assuming no other presidencies, A is right.

Quote:


And one last question. If say Bengal has 3 officers already and Madras has none. There is 1 officer to assign. From the rulebook "If an army has three officers, an old officer (stationed there at the start of the game turn) must be replaced by a new officer." This seems to state that the only choice the Director of Military Affairs has is which officer to replace in Bengal. Does he have a choice to instead fill a vacancy in Madras if he would prefer?


He could send the officer to Madras or replace an officer in Bengal.

Here's the key:
The military affairs office must place all of the officers if they can. They can station them in vacancies or replace old officers. As new officers don't become "old" until the start of the next turn, the office cannot assign and officer and them immediately dislodge them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Crap. I'm confused again.

One presidency.

No officers in army.

4 to assign.

3 must be placed, one must go home.


One presidency.

1 officer A in army.

4 officers B, C, D, and E to assign.

2 of BCDE must be placed, two can go home OR
2 of BCDE must be placed, a third member of BCDE replaces old officer A, then last BCDE must go home


In other words, according to your last post above...when assigning officers, you must fill as many positions as possible, replacing old officers if you want, or must you replace old officers?

Additionally, it is your choice where you "attempt" to place officers, correct? As stated above...if all three presidencies are empty. 5 officers to assign, you could choose to send all 5 to one army, forcing 2 to go home? Is that right? That seems weird.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the rule for reference.

The Logistics Action (Military Affairs). Move all officers and guns in this
office’s holdings to any presidency army boxes.

If an army has three officers, an old officer (stationed there at the start of
the game turn) must be replaced by a new officer.

Replaced officers return to their owner’s stock.

If not all officers can be placed, any remainder are returned to their owner’s stock.

Reading it as written, Cole, let me rephrase to make sure I understand:

For each officer on the Military Affairs space, choose an Army that can receive a new officer. (The only Army that can NOT receive a new officer is one that currently has only officers filled from the current round.) If the Army has a vacancy, place the officer in it. If the Army is full, replace any officer in that army that has not been placed this round, returning the "old" officer to it's owner's stock.

Not so elegant, but does that cover it?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aram12 wrote:
Crap. I'm confused again.


No worries. We'll make it through .

Quote:


One presidency.

No officers in army.

4 to assign.

3 must be placed, one must go home.


Correct.

Quote:

One presidency.

1 officer A in army.

4 officers B, C, D, and E to assign.

2 of BCDE must be placed, two can go home OR
2 of BCDE must be placed, a third member of BCDE replaces old officer A, then last BCDE must go home


The second. Military Affairs has an obligation to place all officers if possible.


Okay, let me try to explain it just so we're 100% clear.

The Military Affairs Office has an obligation to place all of the new officers.

Then there are three subrules here:
a. New officers can go to any vacancy in any army.
b. If an army is full, new officers can replace old officers.
c. If there are no remaining legal placements for officers, the remaining unassigned officers are returned to their player's stock of cubes.

That's it.

So, as to your question, you could NOT choose to send 5 new to one army, forcing two to go home.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Cole Wehrle wrote:
jasonc213 wrote:
nom_ wrote:
That is some of what I was wondering, too, but based on Cole's reply my understanding is:

Billtje wrote:
But you can still replace old officers with new ones once all vacant positions have been filled. correct?

If there were any vacancies to begin with, old officers cannot be replaced.

[q="Billtje"]This is not limited to only one replacement. correct?

It is limited to only one replacement.

Billtje wrote:
Additional question: in another post think I saw that it is possible to send for example 4 officers to one army (automatically returning one new officer to the stock). Can you do this while there are still vacant positions in another army?

Yes.


Cole can you please confirm all 3 questions above?


Short answers: Yes. Yes. Yes.




I think this is where the confusion is...

Your confirmation to Billtje's question is erroneous, I believe...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AHA!

Apologies for not reading that carefully. I will add an item to the FAQ to address this point, specifically. Thanks!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsupthumbsup
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, so actually quite different from what i tried to write in my first post. It now seems to me that the procedure is basically:

Military Affairs must assign as many new officers to presidencies as possible, but no more than three per presidency. Officers that cannot be assigned are returned to family supply.

In each presidency that had officers assigned, if there are not enough vacant army boxes for the newly assigned officers, first return old officers to family supply until there are, and then place each new officer into an army box.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that covers it.

Interesting to note that Officers will never be returned to the stock unless the number of "graduated" officers that round exceeds the total number of Presidencies x 3. Also note in a 3 player game there are only 2 presidencies, and you are allowed to place 3 cubes in the Officer space. Hmmmm...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.