Subject: More Ballista questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blury Boardgamer
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi!
On my last game I played with Vermin Riders and I had the Ballista card ready to be used, but the Downwood Militia player said that I had not a tinkerer to build it. That was partially true, as one of the rat pilots is a tinkerer, but he was flying.

Would it be possible to build the ballista on a tree even if the tinkerer is not on that tree?

Also, we ruled that the ballista is a new unit you add to you army, so if you have 2 Oakguards using the ballista you can activate it AND the rest of the Oakguards (up to 3) in the same round, as they are different units.
Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N F
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Blury wrote:
Hi!
On my last game I played with Vermin Riders and I had the Ballista card ready to be used, but the Downwood Militia player said that I had not a tinkerer to build it. That was partially true, as one of the rat pilots is a tinkerer, but he was flying.

Would it be possible to build the ballista on a tree even if the tinkerer is not on that tree?

Also, we ruled that the ballista is a new unit you add to you army, so if you have 2 Oakguards using the ballista you can activate it AND the rest of the Oakguards (up to 3) in the same round, as they are different units.
Is this correct?

I don't have the card and rules in front of me, but I would think that the tinkerer would have to be at the location of the ballista to build it. That just makes sense to me. Would it make sense if Nez was on his home nest and built a ballista on one of the other trees? Nope. Same with a tinkerer flying around in the center of the map.

What you say about the units and activation makes sense to me, but again I don't have it in front of me. You activate the ballista unit by itself (which requires 2 figures to be on it). Then later you can activate the oakguard unit card which lets you use 3 figures. Sounds right.

Sorry for the not very definitive answers, but I saw that you also posted this on a ballista thread a month ago and got no response. So, I hope I helped out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin T.
Germany
Ravensburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blury wrote:
... I had not a tinkerer to build it. That was partially true, as one of the rat pilots is a tinkerer, but he was flying. ...

Afaik it´s not in the rules but I think it´s obvious that the character that builds the structure has to be present at that space.

edit: Seems I wasn´t exactly right here...

Blury wrote:
Is this correct?

A ballista isn´t exactly a unit but a structure. Still you are right, it is activated separately when two ground figures share the space. Therefore those ground units do still have their actions in this turn. Note that it comes in play tapped and can not be used in the round it is brought to play.

Rules page 13 Structures wrote:
A structure that can be activated can only be activated if it shares its space with the required figures (listed on the unit card after Activate) and no enemy figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Liu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I missed the question in the other thread.

A flying tinkerer or leader CAN build a ballista on its activation. Think of it as that unit shouting out instructions to the squad figures that are actually building the ballista.

And yes, a ballista is a structure (immobile unit) that has a separate activation, but it cannot be activated on the turn it is built.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blury Boardgamer
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks guys, you are really helpful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.