16 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Hausregeln / house rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus G.
Germany
flag msg tools
Is there anybody who can give me a link where i can read house rules. I think it is definitely not possible to win scenario 2 and 3 of the core game with a big gap not possible.
Is it easier to play alone or together (with two players)? I think it is easier together but also not possible to win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgal
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no such thing.

I assume you talk about the night of the Zealot. Yes it's really hard.
You have only one core box? It will be easier after some more games, and easier with more cards... (Yes, it's a lcg...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the second scenario is not supposed to be "won". Just try to get as many
Spoiler (click to reveal)
cultists
as possible. Sometimes only 1, sometimes all 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can't help with house rules, but I can maybe help with the difficulty you're experiencing.

First: change your perspective for scenario 2. You're only trying to get as many cultists as you can interrogated before resigning. You don't need to get all 6. 4 is quite good, shoot for that.

Second: play on "Easy" mode, it's definitely possible.

I think 2 player is the more enjoyable experience, but I don't know which I would say is easier.

Watch how you upgrade your decks, make sure you are including cards that will be useful in the final scenario.

In my opinion: the final scenario takes a bit of forethought. You need to decide before the scenario even begins if you are going to try to defeat Umordoth or if you are attempting to get clues and seal him out. I find the combat option is generally easier.

Spend all the actions you can on getting resources, drawing cards, and playing Assets. You do not need to leave the main path. ideally you will have Lita (or beat cop), shotgun, extra ammunition, and physical training. Dodge is also helpful. Any Elder Sign Amulets or Bulletproof vests you have are decent plays too.

If your second player is Wendy she is more event-heavy, but has the same general idea. she wants Sneak Attack, Backstab, Hard Knocks or Dig Deep, Lucky, and Cunning Distraction ideally. She's also going to need a lot of resources because these events are expensive to play. Remember, you don't need to look for clues *at all*. Just make yourself stronger.

Set yourself up until Umordoth appears, have Wendy use Cunning Distraction (to escape all the cultists), move in and hit as hard as you can with both characters. He should go down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus G.
Germany
flag msg tools
awp832 wrote:
I can't help with house rules, but I can maybe help with the difficulty you're experiencing.

First: change your perspective for scenario 2. You're only trying to get as many cultists as you can interrogated before resigning. You don't need to get all 6. 4 is quite good, shoot for that.

I think 2 player is the more enjoyable experience, but I don't know which I would say is easier.

Watch how you upgrade your decks, make sure you are including cards that will be useful in the final scenario.

In my opinion: the final scenario takes a bit of forethought. You need to decide before the scenario even begins if you are going to try to defeat Umordoth or if you are attempting to get clues and seal him out. I find the combat option is generally easier.

Spend all the actions you can on getting resources, drawing cards, and playing Assets. You do not need to leave the main path. ideally you will have Lita (or beat cop), shotgun, extra ammunition, and physical training. Dodge is also helpful. Any Elder Sign Amulets or Bulletproof vests you have are decent plays too.

If your second player is Wendy she is more event-heavy, but has the same general idea. she wants Sneak Attack, Backstab, Hard Knocks or Dig Deep, Lucky, and Cunning Distraction ideally. She's also going to need a lot of resources because these events are expensive to play. Remember, you don't need to look for clues *at all*. Just make yourself stronger.

Set yourself up until Umordoth appears, have Wendy use Cunning Distraction (to escape all the cultists), move in and hit as hard as you can with both characters. He should go down.

Thank you for your answer(s). Is it the right conclusion that in a 2 player game for example Wendy is the "decoy" and escapes the enemies and Roland is the one who is fighting against the enemies?

I dont understand how it should be possible to kill "Umordhoth" with 14 endurance (with 2 players) and you are only making 1 damage per action (without a weapon)

Thanks again for your further answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Smeary wrote:
awp832 wrote:

Thank you for your answer(s). Is it the right conclusion that in a 2 player game for example Wendy is the "decoy" and escapes the enemies and Roland is the one who is fighting against the enemies?

I dont understand how it should be possible to kill "Umordhoth" with 14 endurance (with 2 players) and you are only making 1 damage per action (without a weapon)

Thanks again for your further answers!

Right but you could use a weapon to do 4 damage with two actions and throw a dynamite for 7 damage in total in one turn (and in this case also 3 damage to you ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dynamite is a very efficient way to kill a number of cultists in one go. And as others have said, Scenario 2 isn't something you "win" or "lose". Just make Scenario 3 easier or harder. Killing 4 of the 6 is doing really well.

And I don't know why you would assume you would only be doing 1 damage. You can start out with decent weapons with 0 experience. And could definitely be upgrading those as you go along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Wilhelmi
Germany
Husum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On normal difficulty I had no problem finishing the campaign with Roland + Agnes.

I had to replay scenario 2 because I made a few rules mistakes on my first run but got all six cultists on my second try (but that was tough and a close call).

Umordoth never made it into my world but even if he did, I would not have wet my pants.

Roland + shotgun and Agnes with Shriveling + Forbidden Knowledge + Lita Chandler on the board and he is toast in one round. No dynamite needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus G.
Germany
flag msg tools
Mat628 wrote:
Dynamite is a very efficient way to kill a number of cultists in one go. And as others have said, Scenario 2 isn't something you "win" or "lose". Just make Scenario 3 easier or harder. Killing 4 of the 6 is doing really well.

And I don't know why you would assume you would only be doing 1 damage. You can start out with decent weapons with 0 experience. And could definitely be upgrading those as you go along.

I said 1 damage without a weapon! It is nessasary to have a weapon on your hand. Today i didnt draw a weapon and played scenario 3 for the first time and i didnt edit that post!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are supposed to view the campaign as a whole; the better you do in scenario 2, the less difficult scenario 3. But that being said, sometimes there is just no "you win!" option. Instead it is more, "you did as much as you could."

You CAN get them all in scenario 2, but it wasn't designed for that to be the typical outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear, Doc Savage is here!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
In the 3rd Scenario, you definitely have to choose a strategy from the outset. 1. Do I want to prevent U from coming into our world, or 2. Do I let it in, then kill it. You simply can't chop and change between the two, during the scenario, otherwise it's certain defeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus G.
Germany
flag msg tools
I have to say that i have played all scenarios until today only as szenario and not as a campaign!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgal
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of you talk about Lita being helpfull to kill him.
Remember that she gives a damage bonus against Monsters which Umôrdhoth is not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgal
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smeary wrote:
I have to say that i have played all scenarios until today only as szenario and not as a campaign!

That's not how it is intended
Your choices have consequences, you gain XP at every scenario...
It's a campaign game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW, I didn't realize Umordhoth IS NOT A "MONSTER" !!

Thanks, Morgal !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dynamite 5 damage. The two attacks with 3 damage each and couple of two damages... Easy even in one round, even easier in two rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.