Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest» Forums » General

Subject: Dungeon Saga in 2018 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john doe
Scotland
flag msg tools
mb
So to anyone in the know or who went to Mantic Open Day, is there anything new coming out in 2018?

I'm kinda hoping for something like a book or PDF with more adventures in, although my money's kinda on a new KS in the summer for a 2019 2nd ed and them just scrap the game as it is (which is kinda sad)

What would anyone else like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
necromorph wrote:
So to anyone in the know or who went to Mantic Open Day, is there anything new coming out in 2018?

I'm kinda hoping for something like a book or PDF with more adventures in, although my money's kinda on a new KS in the summer for a 2019 2nd ed and them just scrap the game as it is (which is kinda sad)

What would anyone else like?
as ive said elsewhere on the forum..this is one of the best dungeon crawlers available|!!..and every expansion fetches a new part to the game!!.theres lots of stuff already out for the game if you get all the stuff off the mantic digital site.or,was a backer like me got the extra campaigns/quests in books etc.
but it would be good to see a whole new major expansion for the game.

still play this a lot and our friends and my son and his friends enjoy the game.its got simple but challenging game mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Right now I am looking forward to getting my Star Saga out from under the tree to give it a go to see how various system changes play. Also looking forward to the new vanguard models which open up new options for the Dungeon Saga universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
My whishes:
- Overlord Decks for every race in mantica. I want to play against Basileans and not only use the basic cards.
- sperate expansions for every aspect of the AC that does not work. Means a random dungeon expansion with a random quest system and dungeon events in special rooms etc. Something like that...

Thats just of the top of my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crusher Crancko
Spain
Boadilla del Monte
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think this game deserves a "tunning" process from Mantic to put it at the level it deserves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am overhaul of the co-op/solo rules. Rules that doesn't require the players to think for the overlord/necromancer (can't remember what they called that player).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Scratch
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't mind seeing a lot of the necromancer's role be supported by an optional app (mobile and/or PC). It really doesn't have to be anything as fancy as what FFG built for several of their games at this point (though I wouldn't mind if it was). Just something that could handle a wider variety of behaviors and produce more randomness behind the scenes.

I'd really like to see an app that perhaps employs certain strategies for certain scenarios, albeit in a limited sense due to the natural scope of an app. It might be interesting, because the Necromancer might seem to shift their priorities or strategy midgame -which is not unheard of for a player to do in such a role. Also, if done well, the app could provide scenarios with hidden events, etc. So you might initially be presented with a choice of to minor objectives, and only when you mark one as completed don't get the next one. This could allow for legitimate plot twists within the game session itself, and really enable some great storytelling. It's something I've been prototyping on my own, and I wish more titles would use the concept. You can really so a lot with it. Not to mention -you can have rules and FAQs built in, enabling much faster "soft" updates without needing to redo major book layouts and prints, should something arise after initial release.

For example:
At the beginning of a scenario, you know you have two goals: rescue Prince Fluffyduff(yep, that's the ridiculous name I chose for this example, and I'm sticking with it!), and defeat the ranger mercenaries who captured/imprisoned him. The player(s) can do either of these objectives first, or if they want to break basic 101 protocol, they can split the party. When a player triggers one of the objectives, the app can advise them of a new enemy spawn, add more narrative and objective(s), etc. So maybe the group reaches the cell of Prince Fluffyduff to find it empty, or they reach the Ranger group, and find that the prince hired them himself for the random -but something went wrong, and one of the rangers betrayed their group, leaving behind a room full of dead rangers and evidence of where the next scenario to find Prince Fluffyduff and his (now actual) captors might lead.

These are ultra-specific examples of how an app can hide and reveal any number of basic or convoluted plot twists for co-op or even solo play, so that even without a proper PLAYER handling the Necromancer role everyone can enjoy the game play AND storyline without spoilers of any kind. It's also much easier to present a more detailed and interactive/responsive story in this way, because the player will only ever see what they need when they need it. What might look like three overwhelming pages of "if this, then this" can just be presented over a few separately triggered events midplay -if an event or twist is never relevant, than the player(s) wouldn't even know there was more to the scenario. In a way. It's like a choose your own adventure book, but you have no idea how many other options might exist until you trigger them, and you only see the details that matter when appropriate.

I know that not everybody loves apps, but as an optional co-op tool, they can be really useful and set great atmosphere for players. Put some good fantasy writing behind it in small doses, and things really step up. Hell, if you want to go "top notch" with it, hire a couple decent lesser known voice actors to record dialogue (either from the perspective of a narrator, the necromancer, or as the characters that you interact with). These apps can add a lot even if they're bare bones with decent artwork and some passive (as in not too distracting or annoying) ambient background music/sound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yep necros my fav baddie still !!..still in my top 5 dungeon crawlers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
tootz wrote:
yep necros my fav baddie still !!..still in my top 5 dungeon crawlers

Really?!?

OK, so I've only played Undead and Greenskins, but I've looked at how the Abyssals and the Dragon play.

I find the Necro the most boring to play and most frustrating for the Heroes to play against of the Overlords. The Undead units are weak. All the scenarios are races, so the Necro's only hope is to delay the Heroes enough that the timer runs out. Boring.

The Greenskins are much tougher and not all the scenarios are races. Much more fun to play these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.