United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Father, Husband, Project Manager, Fantasy Football Commissioner, Tabletop Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

My wife and I are currently thinking about making a move from PA down to NC. Specifically we are looking in the Raleigh area with a focus near Cary, NC. I was curious what the board gaming scene looks like down there. We got to check out a couple stores on a recent trip and things looked pretty good. How is the gaming community/group situation? Where we live there are a couple options, but most of the bigger groups are close to an hour away. Based on what I saw it looks promising. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge they can share? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Croft
United States
Smithfield
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nlfuller77 wrote:
Hi,

My wife and I are currently thinking about making a move from PA down to NC. Specifically we are looking in the Raleigh area with a focus near Cary, NC. I was curious what the board gaming scene looks like down there. We got to check out a couple stores on a recent trip and things looked pretty good. How is the gaming community/group situation? Where we live there are a couple options, but most of the bigger groups are close to an hour away. Based on what I saw it looks promising. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge they can share? Thanks!

I used to live out in Cary, but recently moved out to Smithfield where the gaming scene is nonexistent. But in Cary it wa great. The Gamer's Armory is located in Cary, has a decent amount of table space, and with a minor discount (mostly 10%). The board game side of it is a little small, but they have a decent library of games to play and a weekly game night. Game Theory is located in Raleigh. They have lots of tables space, a weekly game night, and a smaller library of games to play. But they have a customer discount program. 5% when you spend $250 I believe, and I recently reached 10% which is nice. They are msrp, but they have a huge selection of games, and get a lot of new releases in. Atomic Empire located in Durham is the biggest. Tons of table space, with a bar and game library. Also have the biggest discount, of 20% and a huge selection of games. I love Atomic, but now they're 1.5hrs away, which isn't feasible. But only about 40 minute if you're in Cary and well worth the drive every once in awhile.

There is also a store in Garner, Event Horizons. But I can't recommend them. They sell over msrp, but also have their store displays right amongst their customer's playing tables. Which makes a really busy, cluttered experience.

If you're looking for meetup groups. Check out Triangle Game Night. You can find them on facebook. They have events in Raleigh, Durham, and the Dave & Busters in Cary every week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony McRee
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nlfuller77 wrote:
Hi,

Nathan,

You are coming to a target rich environment. First, you are in the backyard of The Geek Allstars Podcast and The State of Games. There is also two incredible game shops in the area. The one nearest to you is the Gamer's Armory and they have events all the time, I get their emails. Then in Durham, Atomic Empire is also a game store. I haven't had the opportunity to visit that store but Dan and Chris talk about it on their podcasts.

Then down the road, you have Epic Gaming Podcast and their meetups and events in Winston Salem area.

If the beach is calling, which is about 2 hours away, there is Cape Fear Gaming in Wilmington, NC

And if you want to drive 2.5 hours to Charlotte, you got a bunch of us in that area.

There are two small local conventions in the Charlotte area in the fall, MegaMoosecon and MACE.

Head over to The Geek Allstars guild for more info https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/1294

Good luck with whatever you pick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whitney Baker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Nathan,

I live in Durham (about 40 minutes down the road from Cary) and can +1 the recommendations for Atomic Empire, Game Theory, and Gamer's Armory. There are also several active local meetup groups, including a traveling library that meets at bars called Triangle Game Night and some less 'formal' groups -- at least in Durham -- that run several local game night meetups.

We also have a couple conventions every year ranging from the stereotypical large anime convention (Animazement) to a newer, gaming-specific convention (Playthrough) and smaller conventions that tend to have game rooms, like Illogicon.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm happy to help!
Whitney
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Rouser
United States
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have family I visit in Cary and it's a great place to be if you are a gamer. Very welcoming people, several public game nights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Click to view this user's profile.
badge
Uncertainty and Innovation
mbmbmbmbmb
nlfuller77 wrote:
Hi,

As a sidebar, the Game Designers of North Carolina guild (for board game design) has a large presence in Cary. If that's your thing, you can check us out. Game Designers of North Carolina

And I echo the recommendations for Gamer's Armory in Cary and Atomic Empire in Durham. Those are my main stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keller
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another recommendation for Game Theory in Raleigh and Gamer's Armory in Cary. Both are excellent stores with friendly and knowledgeable staff. Board Game Nights are Tuesdays at Game Theory and Wednesdays at Gamer's Armory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Royal
msg tools
mbmbmb
I host game night in my home, but just chimed in to say welcome to the area. It's a great place to live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Ward
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak for Smithfield, but if you are willing to drive into Wake County you'll find something fun.

Start here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1650983645154606/

Welcome! We have all the cardboard here. We are glad to have you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Carnagey
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your here the end of January you can come to "Who's turn is it anyway"

https://whoseturn.org/

Thought I posted this earlier but it must not have taken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hey! Welcome to Raleigh-Durham [if you do move nearby]!

I live in the area, and I checked out the Atomic Empire Monday night scene a few days ago. I had a very good time; the people were very friendly, welcoming, and inclusive. I intend to attend every Monday I can get over there.

However, it might be a bit of a long drive for you, depending on where you expect to be located in relation to I-40.

If I can be of any help or can give you more details about Atomic Empire, feel free to send me a message!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Schilling
United States
Pittsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Nathan, Hope you decide to move to NC!
Most of the best stores have been mentioned already. I do want to put in a +1 for Atomic Empire. It may be a bit of a drive but worth it. They have open board gaming every Monday Evening.

For groups you can connect here:
The Triangle Strategy Games Meetup Group
On Meetup and Facebook

The Triangle Area Board Gamers
On Facebook

Cary Stra-tee-gery Board Gaming Meetup
On Meetup

Cary Board Games Meetup
On Meetup

There are more with crossover on some, but this list is a good start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bochan
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
So glad I saw this thread. My wife and I are also moving to NC and, luckily, our jobs land us right in this area. Hope to see some of you folks soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was happy to see this thread as well. I'm moving to Holly Springs in July. I'm neck deep with home selling and move prep, but when all that settles, will be looking forward to jumping into the gaming scene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Garrett
United States
Cary
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Welcome to all you new Triangle-ites!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.