BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games with random opportunity and deterministic outcomes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Two of my favorite games are Mage Knight and Castles of Burgundy... for the same reason.
Both of these games give you options via luck of the draw, and everything from there is a guarantee. I love this in games. You’re delt a random hand (or whatever) and you have to make the most of it, even if it’s not what you wanted. This, I think, gives guidance to actions, replability, excitement, and minimal frustration from bad luck as it can always be mitigated.

Any recommendations for other games other that do this?
I’d appreciate if all recommended games can be played solo or 2p.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of Stefan Feld's games are like this:
Merlin, The Oracle of Delphi, La Isla, Amerigo, Bruges, Bora Bora, Rialto, Macao...
But the only ones that can be played solo are the little brothers to CoB: The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game and The Castles of Burgundy: The Dice Game

Other good games that have input randomness, without any output randomness, and play solo as well as 2 player:

La Granja
Dice City
Dark Horse
Phalanxx
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
Colony
Avenue (or Kokoro: Avenue of the Kodama)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
wreadsiii wrote:
Most of Stefan Feld's games are like this:
Merlin, The Oracle of Delphi, La Isla, Amerigo, Bruges, Bora Bora, Rialto, Macao...
But the only ones that can be played solo are the little brothers to CoB: The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game and The Castles of Burgundy: The Dice Game

Other good games that have input randomness, without any output randomness, and play solo as well as 2 player:

La Granja
Dice City
Dark Horse
Phalanxx
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
Colony
Avenue (or Kokoro: Avenue of the Kodama)

Thanks! I definitely want to pick up some more Feld games. Just trying to decide which. I’ll check out the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Refvem
United States
Sonoma
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy
Tash Kalar
Neuroshima Hex!
And for solo, Onirim.

Dungeon Petz has this characteristic inside of a worker placement game. You'll spend the the placement gathering stuff that will be needed for the monsters in your pet shop. Once the placement is done you'll draw a whole bunch of cards that represent the needs of your monsters which you will then distribute amongst your monsters as you choose. Then you will need to give the monsters resources that you've gathered that match their needs.

I love this game. Not only is it fun, it's quite funny as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I actually own dungeon petz! I haven’t gotten it to the table yet.
Thanks for the other recs. Tash Kalar has been ok my radar just because its designer for awhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Alexander
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes - can't be played solo but makes a great 2 player game. I'm not a massive fan of euro games but this is brilliant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Bridge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DZ Woloshyn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Deep Future

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy
Agricola
The Voyages of Marco Polo

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zb1035 wrote:
Two of my favorite games are Mage Knight and Castles of Burgundy... for the same reason.
Both of these games give you options via luck of the draw, and everything from there is a guarantee. I love this in games. You’re delt a random hand (or whatever) and you have to make the most of it, even if it’s not what you wanted. This, I think, gives guidance to actions, replability, excitement, and minimal frustration from bad luck as it can always be mitigated.

Any recommendations for other games other that do this?
I’d appreciate if all recommended games can be played solo or 2p.

Thanks!

I would suggest Lord of the Rings The Card Game fulfils these criteria

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Refvem
United States
Sonoma
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zb1035 wrote:
Thanks for the other recs. Tash Kalar has been ok my radar just because its designer for awhile.

Give Tash Kalar a try on boardgamearena.com. I'd recommend reading the rules first or possibly watch a how to play.

And get Dungeon Petz to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
invervegas wrote:

Hardly. You have to make a lot of decisions in that game without knowing the outcome (which is, what deterministic means, that you can determine the outcome). Encounter cards being revealed after you decide whom to send on the quest, Shadow cards can mess up your carefully laid out plans in battle, and so on.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zb1035 wrote:

Get Dungeon Petz played. While a lot of the game is worker placement it also has some elements of engine building and a large portion of puzzle solving. You can mitigate a lot of the random draw elements out with good planning. And then it has that lovely worker placement feel where you have a hard time choosing because you sort of need all the options in every turn.

It is also very forgiving for all ages and skill levels. Each round always conclude even if you mess up your planning. You can miss out on winning, but the show keeps going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S.
Germany
Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I immediatley thought of

Terraforming Mars where you have the luck-aspect of drawing / drafting cards and the skill-aspect of playing them at the right time.

Seasons where you draft cards (only 9 for each player from 100) at the very beginning and draft rolled dice in each round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll for the Galaxy

"Juggling" your rolled dice results behind your screen to make them do what you want them to do is the driving core of this game and can be real fun. Special abilities that you can unlock over the course of the game increase your possibilities. Predicting what your opponent will probably do helps you out too. When I learnt the game I often had the feeling of "making lemonade out of lemons" after thinking my options through.

Instead of recommending Race for the Galaxy, I will recommend San Juan (Second Edition), which is a closely related design, but more accessible and to me personally more interesting in its details.

Thanee wrote:
invervegas wrote:

Hardly. You have to make a lot of decisions in that game without knowing the outcome (which is, what deterministic means, that you can determine the outcome). Encounter cards being revealed after you decide whom to send on the quest, Shadow cards can mess up your carefully laid out plans in battle, and so on.

Bye
Thanee

I really like The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, but Thanee is right and I would not recommend the game in this case either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.