Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan-Jun 1956, USA vs USSR vs PRC

We'll wait a while for a fourthmore players (which would be nice), but we can still get started meanwhile.

First off, let's roll your starting budgets.

USA: 60 + Urhixidur previously rolled 1d6 = (4) = 4 MB
USSR: 60 + Urhixidur previously rolled 1d6 = (2) = 2 MB
China (or should I write PRC?): 60 + Urhixidur previously rolled 1d6 = (1) = 1 MB

I'll generate one spreadsheet per player, properly identified. Your "job" is to fill out your initial purchases (phases 3 and 4). Tab between editable cells and play around. If a cell goes red, your choices are illegal (during these first phases, it's just the treasury that could go into the red). Once satisfied, save your sheet and e-mail it to me (d.u.thibault@sympatico.ca) or drop it in the Liftoff! Inbox folder (you can do this for this phase because there are no secrets as yet). Once they're all in, I'll process them and produce sheets for the next phase.

I was first thinking of hiding the "irrelevant" rows, but I now think you'd rather have them available so you can play with your plans for the turn.

Initiative (decreasing budgets):
#1 USA
#2 USSR
#3 PRC
#4 EU

Notes:
1. It seems we can't use my Gallery as it accepts only images. Fair enough.
2. If you have a problem with the xlsx format (MS Excel 2007), I can downgrade to xls or ods

UPDATE:
Looks like we won't be using the Liftoff! Inbox DropBox much if at all. Instead, players will edit their Google Sheets (to which I retain access) and I'll issue new ones as the turns progress. Because each player can only see his own Google Sheet, I'll report public knowledge on the forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Caceres
Spain
Santa Cruz de Tenerife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would like to join in, if there´s a space available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seado3 wrote:
Would like to join in, if there´s a space available.

Just in time! You'll be Europe (EU). Initial budget: 60 MB + 1d6 = (1) = 1 MB. Send me your e-address and I'll give you access to the DropBoxes.

For initiative, you're tied with PRC (China). Random tie-breaker: custom2{China;Europe} -> ( China) -> ( China)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1213770. Urhixidur
  • 1d6 =
  • (1) =
  • Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:10 pm
  • [+]
  • 1213774. Urhixidur
  • custom2{China;Europe} =
  • ( China) =
  • ( China)
  • Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:11 pm
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see China is building a second launch site and not spending anything on R&D. The second launch site would be idle this turn anyway since she's only got the one launcher (Lucky Flame) and satellite (Flying Dumpling), so the odds of a successful first Orbital Satellite Launch mission are pretty bad (40%×40%×10% = 1.6%). There's still time to reconsider.

Of course, China may be merely biding its time, planning for a first launch in the second half of 1956. That is also a valid strategy.

Turning to the USA's orders for this semester, I notice the two programs being invested in have not been named. Not a requirement, but it does add to the flavour (historically, it'd be Explorer on a Juno). The ods format does mangle some of the image decorations; I'll try exporting to ods and see if I can fix this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike D
Thailand
Nakhon Nayok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Chinese plan is inscrutable. 🙂

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The European Union player sheet is now up. Because this is Christmas time, I'm not establishing any kind of deadline. I'll process the turn phases 3-4 and await your phase 5 inputs once all four sheets have been dropped off in the Liftoff! Inbox.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Caceres
Spain
Santa Cruz de Tenerife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow I´ve been looking at the files on the dropbox folder. really impressive, really good work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just released my rules write-up v 0.2. It adds the failure tables, clarifies how astronaut saving rolls work, and corrects a few other minor things. I've added an Unmanned Lunar Landing mission effect line, to reflect what happens if you complete an unmanned lunar sample retrieval mission, like the Soviets were trying to do just before Apollo 11. I had to complete some failure table blind spots such as astronaut injury risks when escaping death, and wording to account for unmanned failures. One major point: if the craft suffers a communications failure (table G), this makes the rest of an unmanned mission fail (because there's no crew to effect repairs, and ground control has essentially lost all control).

One disappointment is that there is no detailed failure table for a Docking failure. devil

And to all a Merry Christmas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I've created Google Doc versions of the player sheets. If I've done this right, you should be able to modify only the appropriate fields (as before), but at least we'll all have a uniform rendering of the sheets. The down side of this approach is that the sheets are private to each player (otherwise readers could see you play around with mission profiles during the secret phase), so I'll have to publish a common report of who's doing what on the forum.

Let me know whether or not this works like it should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iván is wondering if he should spend on R&D. My guess would be yes, you want to R&D as fast as you can. Without it, a component undergoing multiple safety checks during a single mission has an overall probability of success that plummets very quickly. You should pick what you want to use and try to crank it up to its max safety as fast as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Caceres
Spain
Santa Cruz de Tenerife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I´m sure we must spend on R&D My question was if I should start buying R&D dice or I should wait till everyone has brought programs.

Are the R&D dice cost correct? It´s noted 5MB per die on the orb. satélite and 10 MB on the one stage rocket. rather expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Caceres
Spain
Santa Cruz de Tenerife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, now I get it. There were 5 dice allready purchased. So I´m done with purchase and R%D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The purchase phase is simultaneous, so I expect a little bit of back-and-forthing between players. I will await each player's deposit of their modified sheets in the inbox, then give a warning on the forum thread before the purchases are "locked-in" and the turn processed to the next phase.

Assuming the Google Sheets work well for everyone, I'll wait until each of you has declared his launches on the thread (recall that you merely state how many launches you will be conducting, zero to three depending on how many launch facilities you have), and then I'll read each Google Sheet in order to prepare the actual launch schedule. The launches will be revealed (and resolved) one at a time on the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seado3 wrote:
Ok, now I get it. There were 5 dice allready purchased. So I´m done with purchase and R%D

Your sheet should have gone red when you put in 8 R&D dice in each program. The rules limit you to 5 dice per turn. You should reconsider your turn orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike D
Thailand
Nakhon Nayok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No launches from the Far East in the first half of 1956.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Caceres
Spain
Santa Cruz de Tenerife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My memory failed me, thought the limit was eight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Caceres
Spain
Santa Cruz de Tenerife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed with the new max of five R&D I guess is because of the bi-annual turns

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game status (Jan-Jun 1956):

* Purchases
** USA purchases ☑ (orbital satellite, one-stage rocket (program names redacted); full R&D)
** USSR purchases ☑ (orbital satellite (Petrov), one-stage rocket (Menzianov); full R&D)
** PRC purchases ☑ (orbital satellite (Flying Dumpling), one-stage rocket (Lucky Flame); no R&D; second Launch Facility (Area 88))
** EU purchases ☑ (orbital satellite (ESRO 2B), one-stage rocket (Vega); full R&D)

(Will China confirm that it is no longer purchasing the Area 88 second launch facility?)

R&D will be resolved as soon as the USSR purchases are turned in.

* USA
** orbital satellite (program name redacted): New safety 40 + 5d6 = (2 + 4 + 6 + 6 + 5) = 23 = 63%
** one-stage rocket (program name redacted): New safety 10 + 5d6 = (2 + 3 + 4 + 3 + 3) = 15 = 25%
* USSR
** orbital satellite (Petrov): New safety 40 + 5d6 = (2 + 5 + 2 + 2 + 3) = 14 = 54%
** one-stage rocket (Menzianov): New safety 10 + 5d6 = (5 + 5 + 6 + 5 + 4) = 25 = 35%
* PRC
** no R&D
* EU
** orbital satellite (ESRO 2B): New safety 40 + 5d6 = (2 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 3) = 8 = 48%
** one-stage rocket (Vega): New safety 10 + 5d6 = (4 + 2 + 1 + 2 + 2) = 11 = 21%

* Launch announcements
** USA ☑ (none)
** USSR ☑ (mission Ia)
** PRC ☑ (none)
** EU ☑ (none)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1225156. Urhixidur
  • 5d6 =
  • (2 + 4 + 6 + 6 + 5) =
  • Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:08 pm
  • [+]
  • 1225157. Urhixidur
  • 5d6 =
  • (2 + 3 + 4 + 3 + 3) =
  • Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:08 pm
  • [+]
  • 1225158. Urhixidur
  • 5d6 =
  • (2 + 5 + 2 + 2 + 3) =
  • Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:09 pm
  • [+]
  • 1225159. Urhixidur
  • 5d6 =
  • (5 + 5 + 6 + 5 + 4) =
  • [+]
  • 1225160. Urhixidur
  • 5d6 =
  • (2 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 3) =
  • [+]
  • 1225161. Urhixidur
  • 5d6 =
  • (4 + 2 + 1 + 2 + 2) =
  • Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:10 pm
Mike D
Thailand
Nakhon Nayok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No... China wants Area 88, please! There is a plan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valenze
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No launches for the USA for this time frame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Caceres
Spain
Santa Cruz de Tenerife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No launches from the french Guyana

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like
Bob Blanchett
Australia
Clifton Hill
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
will be taking over the USSR space program. Stay tuned, we should be getting going shortly.

So where does a newbie start? After getting access to the DropBoxes and the Google Sheet, he should read the Liftoff! - PBF introduction.docx in the DropBox, and peruse Liftoff! - PBF rules v0.2.pdf to get a feel for the missions and space programs. He should then move to his Google Sheet and tab between editable cells. For the first phase of the turn, he should merely pick out the space programs he'll want to initiate, and decide how much R&D to pour into them.

I'll field any remaining questions here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Caceres
Spain
Santa Cruz de Tenerife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, such an international group cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seado3 wrote:
Wow, such an international group cool

And run by a Canadian, the third space power. (Canada's Alouette 1 was the first satellite put into Earth orbit by a nation other than the USSR and USA —I'm not counting Ariel 1 which was merely an American satellite with a British label on it) devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Blanchett
Australia
Clifton Hill
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Waiting for Dropbox links Daniel

--
Got them. Strewth! A 54mb app to access online files?? Bloody Dropbox;)
No chance you could use Google drive??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [23] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.