12 Posts

Rising Sun» Forums » General

Subject: Is this interesting and balanced with 3 players only ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Petyr Baelish
msg tools
Hi guys !

What are your thoughts on this game with 3 players ? Does it feel balanced and interesting ?

Is it possible to play without alliances (I've read the rules and it is but is it interesting ?) ? Would the game still be good ?

Thanks to anyone answering this !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Will play almost everything. Unless i hate it ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
it's really hard to say since the game isn't out yet. Ppl might have played some demo's but i don't think it represent the whole game experiance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since alliances are shifting, temporary by nature, and invite betrayal, I think you should keep the alliance rules as is for a few games before trying a variant.

You don't win together, and can/should still scheme against your ally even while you're allied (try to outnumber them by surprise in a region with your last action, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wagner
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, of course! Why else would they put 3-5 players on the box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FxO ༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽
msg tools
mbmbmb
It's totally playable (and winnable) without alliances and it's pretty well balanced with 3 players as well. I was one of the playtesters and played over 20 times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that the player without an alliance has a couple of advantages going for him, too:
1) When he chooses a mandate, he doesn't share the ally benefit, so it's a pure benefit relative to the rest of the players.
2) When he chooses the Betray mandate, he ignores the usual honor penalty. Also note that Betray is at its strongest in a 3-player game, since it hurts all of his opponents (a 3 strength swing against both).

Note that I'm not saying that being the odd man out is *better*, but that there are some mitigating benefits. I suspect that a 3-player game would be better with the alliance rules than without, as it adds an extra 'conflict' to resolve in terms of negotiation for the alliance.

Note also that this is theorycrafting on my part; I have not played yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Smith
Switzerland
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are Lotus clan, you could potentially betray 3 times in one season. That seems pretty strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwagner wrote:

Yes, of course! Why else would they put 3-5 players on the box?

Hugely sub-optimal player counts go on boxes all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SwissQueso wrote:
If you are Lotus clan, you could potentially betray 3 times in one season. That seems pretty strong.

Which would be a net of +9 strength (you gain two, and each opponent loses one per mandate) -- quite strong!

Then again, if Lotus was allied, the alliance could (for example) Recruit as many as five times per turn! Imagine doing that after building a few strongholds; that could end up out-strengthing Betray.

There seem to be a lot of "OP" strategies. I'm looking forward to exploring them to see how well they work in a real game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wolfe
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
There seem to be a lot of "OP" strategies.

Which is really a hallmark of Eric Lang designs. Not that I'm complaining. This game is a great time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Panguin wrote:
Becq wrote:
There seem to be a lot of "OP" strategies.
Which is really a hallmark of Eric Lang designs. Not that I'm complaining. This game is a great time.

Although if everyone has access to a different OP strategy, they're not really overpowered anymore, are they ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wheeler
United Kingdom
Folkestone
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmb
“And when everyone’s super, no one will be”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.