Subject: MIA Game designer; Benoît Vogt rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Castro
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me of is it odd for the game designer to show so little attention to the comments section of his game? It is supposed to be an exciting time as the game is making it into the hands of his patrons and supporters for it's grand debut. Many of which have questions, comments and congratulations that they would like to pass on, but Benoît has not posted anything here for over half a year. Where is the love?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe he's busy working on Ragnarok.

I find it odd that now we expect designers to be actively engaged on BGG. I mean, it's cool when they are, but the game is out there, you don't need the designer (or BGG) to enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, he does log on, even today (I presume to read; "Hi, Benoît!" kiss), but the man never has posted a lot. I also find it nice if designers post, but they surely are not obliged to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jfc1005 wrote:
Is it just me of is it odd for the game designer to show so little attention to the comments section of his game? It is supposed to be an exciting time as the game is making it into the hands of his patrons and supporters for it's grand debut. Many of which have questions, comments and congratulations that they would like to pass on, but Benoît has not posted anything here for over half a year. Where is the love?

My experience with a few games has been that it is the exception not the rule for the designer to be involved. It is nice to get occasional rulings and/or intent, but not an expectation we should have.

I actually don't know much about the origin of the rules... was he the designer of the original Mythic Battles too? Was there ever a designer's diary?

If he used to be active and is not any more, it's likely he's focused on working on the next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
...was he the designer of the original Mythic Battles too?

Yes. He was the designer of the first MBP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Castro
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We definitely do not need Benoit, to enjoy the game. Maybe my view is skewed, but if my game finally made it to my backers and they were all energized and full of questions and comments, i'd feel responsible to on occasions provide some feedback. I only ask, because this is what I have seen from other game designers. I am not ready for MBP to fall by the wayside so early in it's life cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jfc1005 wrote:

This is another misstep I think Mythic has made. Benoit used to pop in here when the Kickstarter was active (I think he may have actually even answered one of my questions), but as others have said, now that the project is "complete", he's likely occupied with other projects, i.e. JoA.

It's a shame really, because if there's something close to celebrities in this industry, other than top reviewers, it's the designers. He, and other designers, miss a good business opportunity by disappearing, because the small effort it takes to stay in touch with fans has lasting repercussions for the scale and scope of the future success of the company.

The closest we get to Benoit now are anemic responses from Quickworthy on the MB KS page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nexbot wrote:

This is another misstep I think Mythic has made. Benoit used to pop in here when the Kickstarter was active (I think he may have actually even answered one of my questions), but as others have said, now that the project is "complete", he's likely occupied with other projects, i.e. JoA.

It's a shame really, because if there's something close to celebrities in this industry, other than top reviewers, it's the designers. He, and other designers, miss a good business opportunity by disappearing, because the small effort it takes to stay in touch with fans has lasting repercussions for the scale and scope of the future success of the company.

The closest we get to Benoit now are anemic responses from Quickworthy on the MB KS page.

The other side of "celebrity" is taking the blame for any gaps/issues/problems the community finds...and with this many detail-oriented, quick-to-complain fans(as we've seen with the shipping deal), it can be a little daunting.

Designer Andrew Park was very involved in the forums during the early days of Star Trek: Attack Wing but was quickly overwhelmed with the number of questions/concerns/trolls/etc and dropped off, presumably to save his sanity.

They could solve a lot of problems by publishing an official FAQ soon, and keeping it up to date on a regular basis based on feedback from the community.

If the rulings come from Benoit himself, all the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Castro
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nexbot wrote:
jfc1005 wrote:

The game author for JoA is Pascal Bernard. Benoit is given a mention at the very bottom of the credits list as a "Publisher", so i doubt he has much to do with the design.

I truly hope that their business strategy in not to start pumping out regular kick starters and then forget them a few months after delivery. That would be both a chock and a crying shame. Despite the lack of retail, games need support, love and exposure to survive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
The other side of "celebrity" is taking the blame for any gaps/issues/problems the community finds...and with this many detail-oriented, quick-to-complain fans(as we've seen with the shipping deal), it can be a little daunting.

I completely agree with you, it can be a huge pain in the ass (relatively speaking), which is why I think the greatest customer loyalty will go to those who actively engage with their customers. That goes for any industry.

I think a good example of this was that Xia dude. He used to be all over everything. Does anyone know if he kept up with that?

jfc1005 wrote:
The game author for JoA is Pascal Bernard. Benoit is given a mention at the very bottom of the credits list as a "Publisher", so i doubt he has much to do with the design.

I truly hope that their business strategy in not to start pumping out regular kick starters and then forget them a few months after delivery. That would be both a chock and a crying shame. Despite the lack of retail, games need support, love and exposure to survive.

I wasn't aware he wasn't a "full" designer. Regardless, I agree with you, for though I've griped about not getting my copy on time as promised, I'm still very much looking forward to it, and I do hope the game continues to receive support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jfc1005 wrote:

Folk like Jamey Stegmaier set a high bar for their fellow designers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I.M. Jeremic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You put a game out and that is it. It will succeed or fail on it's own merits. This designer actually did way more than most designers generally do in the initial KS phase.

People have lives as well as jobs and new games to design as well. Expecting every designer to do something a FEW designers have done is ridiculous. Even if every other designer did it and it is a tiny minority it still shouldn't be expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tzinc wrote:
You put a game out and that is it. It will succeed or fail on it's own merits. This designer actually did way more than most designers generally do in the initial KS phase.

People have lives as well as jobs and new games to design as well. Expecting every designer to do something a FEW designers have done is ridiculous. Even if every other designer did it and it is a tiny minority it still shouldn't be expected.

Game companies are about selling a product. In general, providing customer support for products is considered a good thing by consumers, and can have a positive impact on future sales. It's not *mandatory* (and all too many companies opt against it), but it's good salesmanship. And consumers have the right to demand it, even if those demands aren't met.

Note that I say "game companies", not "game designers". This salesmanship I refer to can be a team effort, and need not be the designer himself. But I think game companies who produce imperfect games but work to make their customers happy after publication probably succeed more than game companies who produce imperfect games and ignore their customers after publication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever Benoit is in videos, he is very quiet and understated. He may simply be a non-social personality type, less likely to jump into conversations with strangers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
Whenever Benoit is in videos, he is very quiet and understated. He may simply be a non-social personality type, less likely to jump into conversations with strangers.

Fair enough; I addressed this in my second paragraph above. Mythic could find someone else on the team, preferably involved with design/test, to perform that role (and probably work with Benoit behind the scenes to ensure accuracy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
jfc1005 wrote:
Is it just me of is it odd for the game designer to show so little attention to the comments section of his game?

give them a break.. it is like 2 days till Christmas and they just finished up a grueling hardcore and HUGE kicker... maybe give the guy a break and let me just have some time with the family and chill a little. I am sure they will be hanging out and posting after new year and stuff.. maybe before.. but yeah.. its Xmas dude, let the play with is kids and stuff : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:

They could solve a lot of problems by publishing an official FAQ soon, and keeping it up to date on a regular basis based on feedback from the community.

This.
They are doing nothing but talk about shipping at the moment.
Plenty if unanswered questions around the net.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skipeo Uchiha
United States
California
flag msg tools
My hope is that Benoit is busy behind the scenes prepare a FAQ of all of these game question coming up as more people start to play. But most likely is prob on holiday until next year.

As for the last updates being nothing but shipping updates it is kind of mandatory at this point as i would say at least 80 percent of the comments on kickstarter are about shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Castro
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TragicTheBlathering wrote:
jfc1005 wrote:
Is it just me of is it odd for the game designer to show so little attention to the comments section of his game?

give them a break.. it is like 2 days till Christmas and they just finished up a grueling hardcore and HUGE kicker... maybe give the guy a break and let me just have some time with the family and chill a little. I am sure they will be hanging out and posting after new year and stuff.. maybe before.. but yeah.. its Xmas dude, let the play with is kids and stuff : )

I don't expect anyone to do much of anything during the holidays, but as i previously stated, he has been missing from here for over 6 months... was that not break enough?

I guess my mistaken expectation is in part due to his involvement while the campaign was live. I personally was hoping he would return to say hi and provide input while the game was being highly conversed here... which has been the case for the last month or so. Of course he nor his staff nor their company have to do anything about it. Just feels like they are letting an opportunity slip on by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.