Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh G
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
I find some of the writing on certain cards a bit confusing and easy to interpret multiple ways. I'm not sure when this card was revealed, it might have been one of the starting cards and we've only played two games so far, so I'm not going to add spoiler tags.

I don't actually have it in front of me right now, so the text might be slightly off, but here goes:

Rationed Event: Data Transfer
Regardless of location, two characters may swap 1 Player Card from their hands.

Again, I don't have the exact text so it's a little bit off, but it clearly states the second half of that sentence (swap 1 player card from their hands). We interpreted that as both players in the swap may give the other player ONE card each. So I give you one card, you give me another card.

BUT, I also thought it might simply mean that ONE individual card changes hands (i.e., I give you a card but receive nothing) therefore only one card is "swapped". However, if that were the case, why wouldn't it simply say: "one player may give one player card to another player regardless of location". It's the difference between "swap" and "give".

I just want to make sure we got that right.

As an additional question, if we did it correctly, there's also the question of hand limit. Let's say we both had 7 cards. If I give you one card, for a split second I have 6 and you have 8. So do you then discard before giving me back a card? Or does it happen simultaneously, so no one has to discard?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
We played that it was a swap (1 card each) and that it was instant (so there was never a point at which someone had 8). I can see the reading of part a is slightly ambiguous (would be nice if it said "1 card each"), but as you say, if they meant give, they would have said give. I don't understand how you can reasonably think they would happen one at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ftl ftw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you played it correctly. "Swap 1 card" means I give you one card and you give me one. Since it's called "swap" and not split into two separate parts (you give me one and I give you one) then it happens simultaneously and nobody has to discard cards if both were t 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.