Popular Tags: [View All]
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off managed to get a 4 player game in and all enjoyed it and want to play to again, now they understand the game's flow.

A couple of edge situations came up which I am thinking of addressing with a couple of house rules. I DO appreciate that 1 play is hardly enough to questions any design decisions that have been made, but I am not redesigning the game and think these may help or add to the game.

1) We had a stalemate between 2 players on the Grey ops, whereby taking the action and sending everything to the regions defeated the purpose of what we were both trying to achieve. Also by leaving the action zone would give the other player too much of an advantage. We both had 2 other agents in play (whilst players 3 and 4 only had 2) so we let this area stagnate, which blocked off the black market and reduced barrels into the Regions and start up.

So as an option, every time the Drill or Start up cards are replaced by a player before choosing one, why not add a barrel (from the supply) to the black market? This keeps this aspect of the game fluid. Thematically it works in that bribes or government money has been used in the black market?

2) In the Peak Oil stage we didn't like that the turn order for those in ties was defined by turn order starting with the player who triggered Peak Oil. So how about the following

a) Majority players takes first turn as before

b) Then whoever has the most oil in their HQ pays one oil (to leave the game) to decide the ties. If players 3 and 4 are tied resolve in the same way

c) Any ties that cannot be resolved in this manner, then put the tied pawns in the black bag and draw them out to see who goes first.

Very much looking forward to getting this back to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PlanBee wrote:
2) In the Peak Oil stage we didn't like that the turn order for those in ties was defined by turn order starting with the player who triggered Peak Oil. So how about the following

a) Majority players takes first turn as before

b) Then whoever has the most oil in their HQ pays one oil (to leave the game) to decide the ties. If players 3 and 4 are tied resolve in the same way

c) Any ties that cannot be resolved in this manner, then put the tied pawns in the black bag and draw them out to see who goes first.

When I was developing the game, I had a suggestion for Peak Oil that worked like this:

The Peak Oil stage works exactly as the rest of the game, except that when you resolve an action, you don't get your workers back. They come off the board, but go back in the box (or by the board, or whatever; you just can't use them again).

Keep going in turn order. Once you have no more workers on the board, your turn gets skipped. At some point, no one will have workers left on the board, and the game ends.

I like the elegance of this variant. I can understand why the designers and publishers wanted to go their route, but this is the way I would have preferred it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Gohrbandt
Germany
Saarbrücken
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PlanBee wrote:
1) We had a stalemate between 2 players on the Grey ops, whereby taking the action and sending everything to the regions defeated the purpose of what we were both trying to achieve. Also by leaving the action zone would give the other player too much of an advantage. We both had 2 other agents in play (whilst players 3 and 4 only had 2) so we let this area stagnate, which blocked off the black market and reduced barrels into the Regions and start up.

In my experience, this sort of blocking is mostly ineffective, and requires all players to not care that much. It‘s frequently more advantageous to move away from the contested spot rather than have part of your workforce blocked. Blocking can work for a turn or two, but doing it any longer usually means you’re missing out on points.
Also, the players with fewer agents can use the time to recruit more agents, and then dominate the agents of yours which aren‘t locked down in the stalemate.

Quote:
So as an option, every time the Drill or Start up cards are replaced by a player before choosing one, why not add a barrel (from the supply) to the black market? This keeps this aspect of the game fluid. Thematically it works in that bribes or government money has been used in the black market?

Note that the black market fills up quite a bit from the various shipping actions (pirates and ?-barrels put a barrel on the black market). I think that adding even more barrels to the bm might fill it up too fast, but you can of course try the variant and see what happens.

Quote:

😁😁😁
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
many thanks for your reply. Clearly my expereince is based on 1 play, yours on 100s I would guess.

The blocking didnt impact me (one of the blockers) as I won, but maybe the inexpereince of the other players meant they were not able to capatilise on our stand off.

Also we didnt experience much activity on the Black Market, but that was because we were blocking that space for 25% of the game.

Next time we play, if its the same players, I will give them the choice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Rodriguez Samaniego
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! looking forward to having more feedback. And if you need clarifications, we're here to help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nygaard
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this blocking scenario come up under the old print and play rules. The fight was over the recruit space. I think it took three turns for someone to give up and head elsewhere.

I can't wait to get the published copy to my table!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.