Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G. H.
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to post this based on a conversation happening on the, " So you think wargames are dying ... " forum, where Tom Cundiff asked what the age groups are for wargamers on BGG.

So, Here's a poll, along with any comments you want to make.

Here are the definitions:

The Baby Boomers [mid 1940s - mid 1960s]
are the generation that were born mostly following World War II. These are the old grognards... old guard who cut their teeth on early Avalon Hill, SPI, Battleline and others.

Generation X, commonly abbreviated to Gen X, [mid 1960s - early 1980s]
is the generation following the baby boomers. These gamers saw the sunset of both Avalon Hill and SPI, and the introduction of the second wave of wargames by GDW, TSR, Steve Jackson games, Columbia block games and others.

Millennials, also known as Generation Y, [early 1980s - early 2000s]
were born in early to mid-1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years. These folks have seen a blossoming of game companies such as GMT, Decision games, Avalanche Press, MMP and others.

Generation Z, also known as the iGeneration, Post-Millennials, [early 2000s -...]
is the cohort of people born after the Millennials. Demographers and researchers typically use starting birth years ranging from the mid-1990s to the mid-2000s. These folks are starting early and have all sorts of new game companies popping up, such as Legion wargames, White Dog, Hollandspiele, Compass, Victory Point, Academy, Flying Pig, Tiny Battle, etc. etc. etc.

Poll
Wargamer! What generation are you?
Baby Boomer [mid 1940s - mid 1960s]
Generation X [mid 1960s - early 1980s]
Millennial [early 1980s - early 2000s]
Generation Z [early 2000s - ...]
      1112 answers
Poll created by m0rtaar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Thor Wagner
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
No one wants to mess with an irate aquatic rodent!! Angry Beavers Clan of Canada
badge
FIOR GO BAS
mbmbmbmbmb
I was established in 1963 cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. H.
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A mighty fine vintage. I must say the 60s were a good time to be born... we are witnessing a huge renaissance of wargame resources, after a relative desert of the 90s when AH and SPI cratered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
You forget the Xennials: those of use born between 1977 and 1983, "old enough to have lived a childhood free of the internet but young enough to have spent their working lives online".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. H.
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about getting a bit more granular in my poll. But I didn't
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redcap
England
Higham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
m0rtaar wrote:
I thought about getting a bit more granular in my poll. But I didn't

Apparently granola in the diet rather than a poll is more useful?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Wargamers, what generation are you?

I'm part of the self-centered "Me" generation that came of age in the wild and crazy 1970s, the "Me" decade.

I participated in your poll.

Now give me some GeekGold or a free game or something.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This one:

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played *with* my first wargame in 1964. I won't claim that I was quite actually *playing* it then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
GET OFF MY LAWN YOU WHIPPERSNAPPERS! IN MY DAY THERE WEREN'T NO "EUROS", THERE WEREN'T NO "CARD DRIVEN" GAMES. WE ALL HAD 3 GAMES AND WE LOVED THEM!

Uh, sorry...what was the question? modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salo sila wrote:
You forget the Xennials: those of use born between 1977 and 1983, "old enough to have lived a childhood free of the internet but young enough to have spent their working lives online".

Yeah, I'm right on the cusp between GenX and Millennial, and only started using the internet when I was in my senior high school years. I generally consider myself GenX because whenever I see a headline of "Millennials are __________", it doesn't seem to apply to me laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Salo sila wrote:

Ha! This could describe (some) boomers as well. "Online" is a decade or two older than the WWW, depending how you care to define it.

I'm a little older than these "Xennials" ... I remember hearing rumors of this world wide web thingie, thought it sounded cool, but also odd. We already had a worldwide web of computers. What was coming was standardization and a prettier face to look at ... which in turn led to greater ubiquity, far faster than even optimists dreamed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Old enough to remember this last glorious moment ...

P.S. Named after #14, the greatest Leaf that ever played, who started his career in 1960.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Averett
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
uh...whose turn is it?
badge
I spent 100gg for this?!?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was born in the mid '60's. I chose GenX because my wife was born in the '70's, so that was the deciding factor. I sorta think that my age is a lost generation. I had a teacher in high school who went to one of his high school reunions (I don't remember which one, but he graduated in 1967 iirc) and there were only 3 guys there. He said that it was a sobering reminder of the times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being born six weeks after Sputnik puts me dead center of the Boomers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Salo sila wrote:

I prefer the term "Old Millenial." I hate the term "Millenial," but putting "old" in front of it makes it sound a little more dignified than "Xennial." Unless you say "Ex-ennial" as opposed to "Zennial," then it sounds kind of cool, I guess. (Born in '83, here.)

I remember The Cold War (mostly the end of it) and Desert Storm, while most of my peers don't, which is a weird feeling. I was kind of a weird kid, though, always interested in world events.

Edit: Since everyone else is saying, I started wargaming the first time in around 1993-94. A neighbor game me his old copy of Rise and Decline of the Third Reich and I also found a copy of Flashpoint: Golan at a dollar store. I re-entered the hobby in 2007, after about a 10 year lapse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salo sila wrote:

That term is a new one to me.

I recall watching the internet start up. Remember Compuserve? FIDONet BBS'? AOL (before it became a joke...wait there never was such a time)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a late boomer ('61).

On the downside, there was a massive demographic bulge in front of me that made career advancement a serious challenge.

On the plus side, there's always at least one radio station that plays stuff I don't hate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My father said I was sitting in his lap watching the procession when JFK was assassinated. Of course, I was only 2 plus a little, and I don't remember it. But that makes me a Boomer.

Played my first hex wargame in 1970 and read Galland's "The First and the Last" in the spring of 69.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a Gen X (1972) that laid mainly dormant until 1984 when I received A&A for my 12 birthday and the rumbling began building by 1990 when I found Sixth Fleet then finally exploded in the 1998 with my first real job (disposable cash! wow ) which coincided with my introduction to the internet and then the floodgates flew open and, as of today, the I have reached 510 on the wargame flood stage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
delp1871 wrote:

Glad that wasn't red.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gen Xer where I started with this in Social Studies Club in High School:

which led to borrowing this in the library:

which eventually led me to find these in a discount store:

and this led to the glory in College that had me pay for this:

and the many other games since.

The funny thing is, I've never owned a copy of Axis and Allies yet I've always felt the need to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kruse
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
HEXES AND SOLDIERS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok David Janik-Jones, we (St. Louis Blues fans) don't have a Stanley Cup moment as of yet to wax nostalgic about but i was all of 13 years old when this happened:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Old enough to think Seasons in the Sun was a cool song.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.