Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/opioid-fentanyl-overdose-deaths...

Deaths from drug overdose is up 21% vs. last year due to the opioid epidemic. Good thing the Republicans have their eye on the ball and have been doing everything they can to address the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
The law of unexpected consequences strikes again - the police kill enough blackmen it shows up in the stats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/opioid-fentanyl-overdose-deaths...

Deaths from drug overdose is up 21% vs. last year due to the opioid epidemic. Good thing the Republicans have their eye on the ball and have been doing everything they can to address the problem.
'

Oh my, I had no idea the growth rate was so high in the past few years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/26/us/opioid-crisis-public-h...

Quote:
The current opioid epidemic is the deadliest drug crisis in American history. Overdoses, fueled by opioids, are the leading cause of death for Americans under 50 years old — killing roughly 64,000 people last year, more than guns or car accidents, and doing so at a pace faster than the H.I.V. epidemic did at its peak.

President Trump declared the opioid crisis a “public health emergency” on Thursday, though he did not release additional funding to address it. Had he declared it a “national emergency,” as he promised to do in August, it would have led to the quick allocation of federal funds.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/03/27/opioid-crisis...

Quote:

The circle of patients gathered for group therapy at a doctor’s family practice in McKenzie, Tennessee, could well represent the face of the state’s opioid epidemic.

They were in a small city in a rural county, fertile ground for prescription drug addiction, though they traveled from as far as Nashville and Missouri. They were young or middle-aged and ranged from blue-collar workers to businesspeople. They said painkillers prescribed after accidents or injuries paved the way to their dependence on opioids.

They also were all white.

Of all deaths in 2015 from opioid and heroin overdoses nationwide, about 90percent of the people were white.

Black people accounted for little more than 8 percent, according to U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data.

https://www.npr.org/2016/12/17/505965420/study-communities-m...
Quote:

Study: Communities Most Affected By Opioid Epidemic Also Voted For Trump
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
The sad thing is:

A combination of Tylenol and Advil worked just as well as opioids for relief of pain in the emergency room, a randomized trial has found.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/08/well/live/alternatives-to...

But of course a patentable, addicting drug is preferred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
The sad thing is:

A combination of Tylenol and Advil worked just as well as opioids for relief of pain in the emergency room, a randomized trial has found.

I've been a regular user of naproxen (similar to ibuprofen but lasts longer) + acetaminophen for several years due to pain caused by sciatica and psoriatic arthritis. Usually only take the naproxen, but I'll add the acetaminophen when the pain is really bothering me. The two medications work in slightly different ways and when combined fight pain better than increasing the dosage of either one by itself.

For those who only buy those fancy brands, Aleve = naproxen, Tylenol = acetaminophen, and Advil = ibuprofen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure the tax cut that just passed will trickle down to solve this problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
The sad thing is:

I don't think you'd get the same results for other types of pain.

It takes awhile for medical results to trickle into the brains of doctors, but we'll probably see that mix used for sprains in ER visits soon enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar the Woebringer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I wonder how rising obesity levels affects this also.

My kids play (rec level) soccer and it's astounding how heavy kids are--and these are the ones out playing sports!

When I was a kid in the 70s I recall one "fat kid" in my class, he'd get picked on, I remember that...I had some old pics from elementary school and saw him--he was just a little heavy, you wouldn't even call him fat by today's standards. As a society we really need to be paying more attention to our food (myself included!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
US life expectancy drops for 2nd year in a row.

Several years into ObamaCare we are finally feeling its true effects... Shortening of Lifespans... Maybe free medical coverage isnt all its cracked up to be?

sfox wrote:
Good thing the Republicans have their eye on the ball and have been doing everything they can to address the problem.

If something isnt working, I guess a repeal would be the next best thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mb
sao123 wrote:
sfox wrote:

Several years into ObamaCare we are finally feeling its true effects... Shortening of Lifespans... Maybe free medical coverage isnt all its cracked up to be?

Nice try. It's the effects of the opioid epidemic, in actual fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khalid Shabazz
United States
NYC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
sao123 wrote:
sfox wrote:

... and maybe a problem caused in part by having a profit motive to drug prescriptions could be solved by taking the profit motive out of healthcare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As listed above, many of the people dying are in Republican states.

Republican states are noteworthy for crippling the Affordable Care Act.

Also in general the age of the people dying from the opioid epidemic is mostly the age of people who don't need the Affordable Care Act yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what's with the sudden rise in the last couple years? It's not like this is a new crisis. I just don't get the sudden spike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
So what's with the sudden rise in the last couple years? It's not like this is a new crisis. I just don't get the sudden spike.

Pharmaceutical companies marketing opiods to doctors and directly to the public has resulted in far more opioid prescriptions. They are dangerous, but they also produce what many people consider to be an enjoyable high when you overdose on them. So the easy availability combined with the common knowledge of using them to get high results in a lot of people dying.

Or in summary, a lot of kids stealing their grandmothers drugs to get high on. Also plenty of cases of people getting their doctors to prescribe the drugs to them (paid for by insurance/medicare) with the goal of selling them into the drug market to generate extra money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
sao123 wrote:
sfox wrote:

Well thats easy to explain...the opiod epidemic stems from:

The forced oppression of the liberal agenda on decent people causing a mass epidemic of depression:
a)Supporting gateway drugs like marijuana which lead to stronger and stronger drugs
b)Continuing to deny the military necessary funding to fight our war on terror thus lengthening it by unnecessary years
c)failing to support common sense immigration policies to support american workers and the war on terror
d)anti-america, pro-commie pro-globalist policies
e)Supporting enemy Muslim countries, while denouncing our israeli allies.
f)Supporting a disgraceful campaign against religion
g)failing to fund/support the nationalized manned space program, which served as a national rally point for decades
h)years of high taxes on working middle class families to pay for the to lazy to work and those who chose to do poorly in school or drop out
i)failure to promote responsibility and self reliance
j)destruction of the traditional family structure
k)pushing the disgusting homosexual agenda
l)promotion of promiscuity, and birth control through abortion, instead of commonsense abstinence policies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

Hard to find much but apparently part of it is due to a heroin crack down. Synthetic opioids are much, much, much, ...25 times, much, much stronger than heroin.

As experienced users denied heroin switched over to synthetic opiods (like fentanyl (sp)), they died due to the difference in potency per dose size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
sao123 wrote:
sfox wrote:

The forced oppression of the liberal agenda on decent people causing a mass epidemic of depression:
a)Supporting gateway drugs like marijuana which lead to stronger and stronger drugs
b)Continuing to deny the military necessary funding to fight our war on terror thus lengthening it by unnecessary years
c)failing to support common sense immigration policies to support american workers and the war on terror
g)failing to fund/support the nationalized manned space program, which served as a national rally point for decades
h)years of high taxes on working middle class families to pay for the to lazy to work and those who chose to do poorly in school or drop out
l)promotion of promiscuity, and birth control through abortion, instead of commonsense abstinence policies

These are the reasons drug companies have been lobbying congress to weaken the DEA's response to the drug crisis? You really should read something besides right wing wack-a-doodles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
sao123 wrote:

Man, I can't tell whether you're a complete fucking idiot, or really good at pretending to be one on the Internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edgarthewoebringer wrote:

Obesity would cause more backaches, hip issues, diabetes, heart conditions, strokes, etc.

mlcarter815 wrote:

Despair in older white males. We discussed this in March: Re: New Lowest Class?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

Pharmaceutical companies marketing opiods to doctors and directly to the public has resulted in far more opioid prescriptions. They are dangerous, but they also produce what many people consider to be an enjoyable high when you overdose on them. So the easy availability combined with the common knowledge of using them to get high results in a lot of people dying.

Or in summary, a lot of kids stealing their grandmothers drugs to get high on. Also plenty of cases of people getting their doctors to prescribe the drugs to them (paid for by insurance/medicare) with the goal of selling them into the drug market to generate extra money.

But didn’t we know that was a problem five years ago? I would have expected a slower slope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

Hard to find much but apparently part of it is due to a heroin crack down. Synthetic opioids are much, much, much, ...25 times, much, much stronger than heroin.

As experienced users denied heroin switched over to synthetic opiods (like fentanyl (sp)), they died due to the difference in potency per dose size.

Ok, that makes more sense than doctors suddenly overprescribing against current trends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:

Obesity would cause more backaches, hip issues, diabetes, heart conditions, strokes, etc.

mlcarter815 wrote:

I thought old white males prefer to use a gun or hang themselves. It’s women who typically go with less violent methods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

mlcarter815 wrote:

I thought old white males prefer to use a gun or hang themselves. It’s women who typically go with less violent methods.

Despair causes obesity, and all its attendant health issues, plus self-medication with alcohol or opiates makes the situation worse, since they then can't pass drug tests. They may accidentally overdose; the combo of alcohol and opioids may do them in, especially alcohol's dis-inhibiting effect; and they may run out of their prescription opioids and overdose on stronger street drugs.

It would make sense that the wives (and families) are suffering, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

mlcarter815 wrote:

Despair causes obesity, and all its attendant health issues, plus self-medication with alcohol or opiates makes the situation worse, since they then can't pass drug tests. They may accidentally overdose; the combo of alcohol and opioids may do them in, especially alcohol's dis-inhibiting effect; and they may run out of their prescription opioids and overdose on stronger street drugs.

It would make sense that the wives (and families) are suffering, too.

I don't know. Every documentary I've seen about the opioid crisis has this framed as a middle class issue and I've never been drug screened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.