Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have this but have been considering it. Now, I don't know the size of the player boards, but if they are 8.5 x 11 or smaller, would it make sense to scan the boards and print and maybe laminate them to keep them flat.

Are the player mats 8.5 x 11 inches or less?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeville wrote:
I don't have this but have been considering it. Now, I don't know the size of the player boards, but if they are 8.5 x 11 or smaller, would it make sense to scan the boards and print and maybe laminate them to keep them flat.

Mine started to warp some, but I put them under my TI4 box for a day, and they've been perfectly fine since then. Perhaps I've been fortunate, but I haven't experienced any worse warping with Gaia Project than I have with most other games with similar player boards (Lisboa boards actually warped worse, but they flattened out easily as well).

I certainly haven't experienced irreparable warping that would lead me to take such drastic measures as to create new boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeville wrote:

They're smaller than that, yeah.

I think weight would be a better solution -- I do need to do that on mine, they're bowed rather noticeably, which made putting pieces on the tracks a little fiddly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
Mine warped out of the box. I straightened a couple of them myself no problem but after a couple days of playing I noticed the rest straightened on their own. Honestly as with complaints in general issues always sound worse than they are because people without problems you rarely hear from. I would open it up and give it about a week to see if their work themselves out before taking any corrective measures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
I'm holding out for a Euro 'til the end of the ni-ight...
badge
Misumena vatia
mbmbmbmbmb
I laid everything out on the table for 3 days, flipping the boards occasionally. They're all nice and flat (and dry) now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Glass
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying this too. Just got this yesterday and tried to play but the boards kept warping (even after trying to gently straighten them) so bad that we stopped playing and are just going to let it sit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc McConley
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Legal Blokus board using all the pieces
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same experience as a lot of others: player boards and hex tiles warped soon after starting to play, put them back in the box, and they are flat again.

Otherwise, the components are of very high quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had them under heavy boxes for over a day and they seemed flat but when I left them out for a few hours, they started to curl again. I don't know if I should just leave them out, or put them under some heavy games again. Very disappointing for a game of this price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don’t think this is a matter of component quality. The issue is related to humidity differences between point of manufacturing and final destination. As the boards dry out, they tend to curl. Situation is similar with all porous products and can be remedied by leaving them out of the box and flipping them periodically or stacking heavy objects onto them. This issue is especially more prominent during winter months where heating inside homes tends to dry out the boards more rapidly. Again, I’ve not noticed it to be more sever with this product compared to my other games with similar thickness player mats, but ymmv.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They should let them dry before selling them, if that's the case.

Terwox wrote:
They're smaller than that, yeah.

Now that I have the game in my possession, I measured and they are not smaller than 8.5 x 11 inches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just received Dinosaur Island and the warping board issue is far worse. I just wanted to point this out for any passers by that this isn't an issue exclusive to Gaia Project by any means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris District
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumb question, but when you guys are putting heavy stuff on top of these, are you laying each board out individually with stuff on top? or just a stack of all 7 of them with stuff on top?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Baker
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I have been using the method of placing the boards out individually with nothing on them and letting gravity do it's work. I flipped them periodically throughout the day and I have gotten pretty good success. Some of my boards were close to an inch of warping while playing on Thursday. Today most of them are laying completely flat while some still are lifted by just a couple millimeters. It has been a couple of days so I don't know that this is the best method, but it is working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After about four days, they are laying flat. I used a combination of heavy games on top of the mats and just leaving them out with the occasional flip. The latter seemed to work better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried some techniques suggested. Thus far, the one that seems to be effective is the boards laid out individually with occasional flips. After a couple of days, they are mostly flat throughout an entire play (just a couple of millimeters of warping; it was about 10 to 15 mm before).

The heavy books method seemed ineffective for my boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Pluntky
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only had to type "gaia project w" and google auto-completed with "arping boards"... yeah it's an issu. All the hexes and player board were severely waped and I have oven over 1000 game and never seen anything like this for punchboard before. I hope it will resolve itself like it seems to have done for some people in the comments above. Gonna try to let them out to dry and flatten them with something heavy..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Steinhauser
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine have warped several times, but they always seem to go back to flat without me having to do anything to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Glass
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After several months of play and storage my boards are now laying flat with no more warping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.