6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Upgrading/building game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Johnson
msg tools
Hello,

I've always been a huge fan of games that involve creatively building, customizing, or upgrading as primary mechanics (like computer games such as rollercoaster tycoon and motherload), but I have yet to find a board game that operates quite in that manner. While there are obviously many "building" games such as Carcassonne, Caylus, and Catan, these don't give you the tactile feeling of improving your stats and area by adding value via new developments or upgrades. Hopefully I'm making some degree of sense! Lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some ideas:

Suburbia
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Agricola
Caverna: The Cave Farmers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Johnson
msg tools
Awesome! Suburbia has been on my shortlist to try for a while, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Suburbia is probably the closest you'll get to the 'Sim-City'-esque tyle of upgrading, there's also Unfair, which is both theme-park themed and upgrade / engine building focused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other games to consider:

The Capitals
Subdivision
Quadropolis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josiakj wrote:
Hello,

I've always been a huge fan of games that involve creatively building, customizing, or upgrading as primary mechanics
Seems like most Deck / Pool Building games would fit this. Have you tried Dominion?
Tableau Building would also be a good place to look.
Briefcase and Mystic Vale are both Deck Builders and Tableau Builders; Eminent Domain as well, though that seems less like to match what you are looking for.

A fair number of economic games seems like they might fit as well, so Among the Farms might give more of this feeling than its predecessor.

Other games to look into:
Hansa Teutonica
Spirit Island
Roll for the Galaxy (and also Race for the Galaxy)

I found Colony underwhelming, but it's possible it might work for you.
Similarly, Chimera Station seems like it gets a bit absurd towards the endgame, and the tableau is limited (to 3 cards), but the upgrading workers might make this another success for you. Also Archon: Glory & Machination

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.