Subject: RIP World Camelot Federation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip DeWalt
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Noticing there has not been any update to the World Camelot Federation for a couple of years I emailed Michael Nolan to ask what the deal was and his wife responded that he'd passed away sometime in 2015.

It's a shame nobody has stepped forward to keep the website active. I'm afraid the WCF will just atrophy in his absence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
Mudsharkbytes wrote:
Noticing there has not been any update to the World Camelot Federation for a couple of years I emailed Michael Nolan to ask what the deal was and his wife responded that he'd passed away sometime in 2015.

It's a shame nobody has stepped forward to keep the website active. I'm afraid the WCF will just atrophy in his absence.

That is a shame. That site is a great resource, which I've recommended many times. I'd hate to see it go up in smoke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
This is sad news. I'd had a couple of email conversations with him myself.

EDIT:
Maybe the OP could post in the abstracts general forum looking for someone willing to take over?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Mudsharkbytes wrote:

That is a shame. That site is a great resource, which I've recommended many times. I'd hate to see it go up in smoke.

You folks are MUCH more familiar with that site than I am, I've only breezed through it a couple of times, but would it be feasible (with the widow's permission, of course) to absorb the data and information there into our images and files here before it disappears?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip DeWalt
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I suggested to his widow, Marilynn, that maybe she should post a notice of his passing at the top of the WCF page. Her reply:

"I have no idea on how to post a notice on the web site. I also don't know of anyone willing to take over the web site. Since I am not well versed in the game I am of no help. But I am open to anyone who would be willing to take it over."

So I assume she'd be perfectly fine with somebody else managing the website, assuming a knowledgeable and interested person shows some interest.

Nolan had a huge collection of Camelot paraphrenalia, not just multiple editions of the games. It's kind of a shame there isn't anyplace appropriate to donate them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad news indeed...

If someone wants to take over the website, I hope she has the necessary info to pass along (e.g. passwords).

It's an interesting 21st century problem which a lot of website owners don't think about or plan for... what happens to someone's website when they die?

(I hope Aldie has made some kind of arrangements for BGG...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I just sent a GM to Aldie asking if there's any way BGG could help. I presume an organization specializing in abstract games would absorb the WCF or something but Aldie might have more resources and better ideas how to help out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the database, there are 52 subscribers to Camelot,
one of them (er, us) ought to step up to the plate, but I'm not
optimistic. I've had Camelot on my shelf for years. Its on my
"someday maybe" list for Boardspace.net.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip DeWalt
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ddyer wrote:
Its on my "someday maybe" list for Boardspace.net.

I guarantee I'd play if you took it off your "someday maybe" list and put it on your "done" list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Fadden
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
I saw this thread from a Google search of "Michael Nolan."

I just joined "Board Game Geek" so I could reply to you and others here.

I worked with Michael Nolan (World Camelot Federation founder) for a number of years. He was helping test my Camelot playing program (Chaxx).

I was off working somewhere and I fell out of contact with Michael, and then years later I checked the web site and with no activity for a couple of years it did look like Michael had perhaps passed away. He was in his 90s when I last talked with him.

I'm volunteering to take over support/maintenance of the World Camelot Federation web site.

I'd like to contact Michael's wife and ask her permission, etc.
We'll be lucky if she has the password or if she has any way for us to gain administrator ability over the site.

Let's do this. I just need help in getting contact information.

Let's also keep this thread going... Anyone else have thoughts on this subject?

By the way, I'm mentioned on the web site. I think Michael Nolan's wife might remember me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Fadden
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
I was trying to reply directly to your comment (instead of just appearing to add a comment at the end of this thread).

I'm volunteering to do this task.

It looks like I'm posting multiple times on this subject... yup, I see no one has commented further since December... Just trying to wake this subject up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
RFadden wrote:
I was trying to reply directly to your comment (instead of just appearing to add a comment at the end of this thread).

I'm volunteering to do this task.

It looks like I'm posting multiple times on this subject... yup, I see no one has commented further since December... Just trying to wake this subject up.

Rick, if you use the Quote function it will help make things clearer regarding which post you are replying to. Part of the learning curve here.

Welcome aboard, and thanks for your help with this effort!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Blizzard
Canada
Salt Spring Island
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if Rick Fadden did take over the website? And anyone have contact information for Rick?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WW Johnson
msg tools
I am the designer (creator) of River Camelot and would very much like to see The World Camelot Federation website preserved. I was at Michael Nolan's home back in 2010 and saw first-hand his vast collection of Camelot related items - absolutely incredible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.