Subject: 2P party update, Tinker+? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to a sidequest tweaking things my brute has managed to reture himself at level 3. This has unlocked the new class
Spoiler (click to reveal)
elementalist
who is in no way suited to toddle around with the brute's tinker pal. I'm eyeing up the Graghart and Scoundrel as options, with melee-crag looking more survivable but less my tastes. Is there much hope for a scoundrel tinker duo? Damage output shouldn't be any problem, I am most worried about input...

Thanks for your time!

Edit:sorry my spoiler tags failed on first post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a tinkerer/scoundrel combo thread just a handful below this one that has been fairly active.

I'd say they are a viable combo. I play in 3 parties and solo in 2 different campaigns and have seen lots of scoundrels and combos.

I'm currently playing my own scoundrel for the first time and find her to be the most survivable out of my party of Scoundrel, brute, lightning and angry face classes. Shes super deadly and can take hits all day but that could be partly due to lots of unlocked spoiler items.

Tinkerer is capable of supporting her well but will not be next to enemies for bonus xp very often. The tink's summons could be useful in that manner as they are some of the toughest in the game.

I'd consider tinkerer and triforce class as an option though.
Both would be excellent at aoe damage and big hits and the tinkerer is good at generating elements but doesn't use them so that's a big plus for the Elementalist.
. While all classes can play together, I would think you would find the tinkerer and triforce go together better than tinkerer and scoundrel. That said, depending on you, scoundrel is much less complicated to play just considering the one class alone, where as triforce class could be one of, if not the hardest to get the hang of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fe3dback, will check the thread. I just worry about so few HP on two characters when it comes to the triforce. I love the idea and think in a 3p party it would be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yah triforce definitely takes some getting used to. With both being ranged you would have the advantage of being able to dish out your dmg at range and avoid some damage. You would be in the biggest trouble from really fast acting and moving heavy hitters like bears or rending drakes and any lone elite targets with high health as you'd both specialize more in low hp aoe atks. Low hp yourselves is pretty minor a concern in my experience, it just allows you to make a couple more mistakes if you have more hp. Plus scoundrel is only a couple hp higher. I recommend an invisibility cloak either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cragheart and Tinkerer should be fine as well.
No need to go melee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if going triforce:

I am looking at ditching Formless Power, Brilliant Flash, and Malleable Evocation.

Formless power feels like the magical equivilent of a shrug. Sure it can use anything, but with a little care you can have the right elements around to make better use of your other abilities most of the time.

Brilliant Flash:a little healing with an unhelpful element, and looting... easy pass for me.

Malleable Evocation:Just as I feel that I'll have *some*elements to use all the time I don't think I'll have enough in a 2p party to really make this card shine often. It's not bad but if one has to cull it can go.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Siddiqi
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
Formless power is an essential part of the class for the bottom ability. +1 attack is how you make a lot of your aoes effective. And it will often turn out you have spare elements you can't quite used on your next turn, eg from attack mod draws, so it sees a lot of use. This is true even if no other party member is infusing for you. I always equipped it first up until I hit level 7
and could just vengeance things instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree about formless power. It was one I always brought. It really nice to be able to make use of those sun and dark elements.

Malleable is very situational. I often brought it along for the bottom but it is very tough to get anything not terrible out of the top. If you can get all 4 in one turn then it can be fun but what you want is cards that will be good every time. With the tinkerer heals shouldn't be too necessary.

For perks I tried to add as much elements generations to the deck as possible to get those flowing. Then aoe's turn into big element generators.

Agreed with above though. Crag will work great and will never let you down. Crag can work amazing is any party with any player in any position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Siddiqi
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
meziemer wrote:
I agree about formless power. It was one I always brought. It really nice to be able to make use of those sun and dark elements.

Malleable is very situational. I often brought it along for the bottom but it is very tough to get anything not terrible out of the top. If you can get all 4 in one turn then it can be fun but what you want is cards that will be good every time. With the tinkerer heals shouldn't be too necessary.

For perks I tried to add as much elements generations to the deck as possible to get those flowing. Then aoe's turn into big element generators.

Agreed with above though. Crag will work great and will never let you down. Crag can work amazing is any party with any player in any position.

I agree about malleable. When I brought it along it was for the bottom move and heal options rather than for the top attack. Shaping the Ether seemed better for a flexible multi-element attack since it starts off as attack +1, has better range and allows for a stun infusion. On the other hand, I've never used its bottom ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the input everyone. In the end I used an alternate method for deciding which to play, thought uo by a lroblem we ran into for my wife's first character.

When she made her tinker we rwn into a problem with her personal quest cards.

One involved brewing poisons, the other a quest for some legendary axe.

She didn't feel either was the kind of thing she envisioned her tinker actually caring about. I solved the problem (No way I was going to start her foray into Gloomhaven with a negstive experience) by dealing her two new goals to pick from. One of those felt much better to her, wnd we've had good times playing.

So in order to decide which class I would play of the two I wanted (triforce or scoundrel) I drew my personal quests first and just rolled with what made sense. One didn't for either, and the other said 'Scoundrel!' So there we have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.