GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,483 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Alternatives to Foamcore/Foam Board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connie V
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

My apologies if this has been asked before (a search didn't turn up much), but what alternatives have you found, if any, to foamcore/foam board for board game inserts? Specifically, I'm looking for something that would yield a more attractive finished product, even if it comes with an additional cost or difficulty. I understand that foamcore is very functional - I'm just looking for something that has a bit more style.

I have a fair bit of experience with crafts of different types - and have never worked with a material that is uniformly so difficult to sand/cut/finish into an attractive end product. No mater what knife I use, when I try to cut down uneven edges, I end up with gashes in the foam core. Because I can never get the edges even and smooth, when I have worked with foam core, I am always a bit unhappy with the finished product (even if it's fully functional!).

Any input you have would be much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have access to a laser cutter, 1/8" or 3mm plywood, wood planks, or cast acrylic ... or even heavy chipboard. The accuracy, reproduceability, the durability, the ease or production, are amazing.

No laser cutter? No shame in that, they aren't cheap and install and maintenance is a pain. Look around for a fablab or maker space in your area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

A high-speed sander makes foam core (and just about anything else) much easier to work with and easier to get a quality result. A couple of bucks, but you'll buy it once in your entire life.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some 1/8" thick PVC sheet material I am going to use to build some organizers once I get some fabrication space.

This is the stuff:
https://www.acmeplastics.com/expanded-pvc-foam?st-t=adwords&...

It is soft to cut & form but plenty rigid and light.

Score with a razor knife then snap, and sand edge. Easy to rout, carve, or sand for rounding corners.

With some patience and practice it can be formed to shapes too.

Parts solvent weld together for a rock solid joint with this :

https://www.tapplastics.com/product/repair_products/plastic_...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I go to thrift stores and purchase their beat up copies of board games for a dollar (risk, payday, monopoly...who cares!).

I cut up the boards from these games to make inserts and spray paint them to desired color.

The boards are very sturdy and have the plus of being thinner than foam board. Board game boards are typically 1 - 2mm where as foam core is 3 - 5mm.

Additional plus is that you can use most fast acting glues (crazy glue stuff) and have glued points sturdy in 10 - 30 seconds, instead of hours with white glue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a really cool idea. especially nicer boards, they have a great feel. But why paint them? The old graphics are great as found objects. Like old trunk labels!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
That's a really cool idea. especially nicer boards, they have a great feel. But why paint them? The old graphics are great as found objects. Like old trunk labels!

Oh for sure you can match up some gameboards to the theme of the game you are making the insert for but sometimes you can't.

Having the graphics from the classic Risk board game on inserts you have made for Eclipse doesn't really jive so well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Mueller
United States
East Moline
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just made a hot wire foam cutter and will soon try to make some inserts with locking components. Have to see how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
If you have access to a laser cutter, 1/8" or 3mm plywood, wood planks, or cast acrylic ... or even heavy chipboard. The accuracy, reproduceability, the durability, the ease or production, are amazing.

No laser cutter? No shame in that, they aren't cheap and install and maintenance is a pain. Look around for a fablab or maker space in your area.

I would think you can just use a jigsaw as well (though you may need to do some tape prep or something to help protect against tearout) - the cuts don't exactly appear to be complex. The 1/8"plywood would have been my suggestion as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.