Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the secret to using the craft based characters successfully in Talisman. I love Talisman, and it's my #1 game, but I have never been able to use the Craft/Magic characters to any real success. I get beat down by the strength based characters, and there always seem to be more strength based enemies, rather than craft based in the games that I have played, so it seems really hard to level up. I was just wondering if there is something that I'm missing or misinterpreting in the rules. As it is, I always try to use strength based characters, because I know that I have a better chance of actually accomplishing something, but I want to be able to experience the game fully with either type. Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the character.

The generic answer is "spells". You can hold more and usually have an easier time getting more.
Also, you will need some STR, but not necessarily a lot. Usually a couple extra points and a Sword will do.

Going by the base-game characters: Druid, Prophetess, and Wizard all have easy access to spells. Spam as much magic as you can.

Ghoul, Sorceress, and Wizard can all attack using CFT for combat instead of STR, so if you fight other players often you should mostly break even.

Minstrel is a little hit-n-miss. If you get a decent Animal early, then you're set. If you just can't find any Animals you'll have a rough time.

The Priest is accepted as just weak.

Monk is closer to a STR character, as he has effective 5 STR for battles.

Elf should try to abuse "Woods-aportation" if at all possible (and has above average starting stats anyway).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So instead of holding onto a spell until the perfect time to use it, just burn it to get to the next one, hoping to get something to boost you up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Halborn wrote:
So instead of holding onto a spell until the perfect time to use it, just burn it to get to the next one, hoping to get something to boost you up?

Depends on the spell and how easily you can replace it (and what expansions you have, and...).

Like if you're a Wizard with a Healing spell, just use it for a quick 1 life. Don't bother waiting until you'd get 3 out of it.
If you're a Monk on the other hand, then feel free to wait a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Harzer
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
"That German Bloke"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you may need to hunt for easy pray around the board to begin with, but you just need to use craft based combat as much as you can, use the spells and/or find some weaponry. I have been playing them successfully once you got just enough strength to beat your average enemy. I also love to take a chance in the levelling up places where you roll a die... but there is nothing wrong with having a preference

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Gunther Herzog
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add to what others have said...

Consider your route to the Crown of Command. I'd rather face the vampires with a craft based character and a slew of followers to feed to the bloodsuckers instead of my own life, instead of having to Dice with Death, which is, um, more dicey? (And even if you have enough lives to eventually get lucky, it takes longer)...

And to take the Vamp route, you have to get through the mines first, and that's a craft challenge where you'll want craft 11+ to get decent odds (unless you're the Dwarf, or have some other card that reduces your number of dice).

Then there's the Prophetess, who in our games has been quite possibly the most powerful character in the game, so much so that some suggested taking her out of play. Until I convinced everybody that the Monk was more powerful. But that was before the official ruling that only starting craft applies to his strength bonus. But now I'm getting off track, so I'll shut up right about here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it may not seem like it at first, but craft characters have several advantages over their more physical rivals:

1. There are more spaces on the board that give you craft than strength (Mystic, Temple)
2. There are more adventure cards that provide craft bonuses (Familiar, Maiden, Solomon's Crown)
3. The path through the Inner Region is easier for craft characters
4. Craft characters usually have better special abilities (spell cycling)

None of these are particularly striking on their own, but taken together I think balance the 2 types of characters pretty well. Of course there is something to be said for just taking the Troll and smashing everything in sight

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PlowStr8 wrote:

Then there's the Prophetess, who in our games has been quite possibly the most powerful character in the game, so much so that some suggested taking her out of play.

Yeah, we banned the Prophetess in the 2nd edition game. The Revised 4th ed. Phophetess is slightly less ridiculous...

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChrisSmith4773 wrote:
1. There are more spaces on the board that give you craft than strength (Mystic, Temple)

?

Result of 7 is +1 Craft, but result of 6 is +1 Str, no? While the odds of getting a 7 are better than getting a 6, both stats are still available from the Temple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Forest, Prophetess and Mystic both allow to gain craft.
The craft path can seem more difficult at start, but if you optimise the special abilities of your character, victory is possible.
It also is important to grade up strength as well as craft.
Even if one dimension is finally higher, the other one should go up to ar leasr 6 or 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
The Forest, Prophetess and Mystic both allow to gain craft.

Crags = Forest for Str, but also in reach of City (Enchantress), though with half of City space being bad, I avoid it unless A) starting stats with no real Objects I care about keeping/losing or B) playing Rogue, in which case, City-spam FTW. Really only the Village is a Craft-only boosting spot on the main board, plus it generally doesn't have a downside like Crags/Forest/City, unless being of certain alignment is going to force you to ditch Followers/Objects. Forest and Village being in close proximity to one another on the opposite corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am seeing that I really probably should be taking more risks. High risk = high reward, I guess. I, generally, have avoided spaces such The Mystic and The Enchantress, simply because the Enchantress can turn you into a toad or the Mystic can screw you over with an unwanted change in alignment. I don't mind risking the crags or forest because the worst that can happen there is that you lose a turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystic I would say is at least 90% completely risk-free venture. Even though there are cards limited for specific alignments, they have to come up first and you need to have them AND then roll the wrong result (1 or 4). With 5-6 being positive (6 assuming you can have another Spell), Village is arguably the safest spot on the board. Village's main downside is it being two away from Graveyard and Forest, so if you're of Good alignment, rolling a 2 for movement next turn will force you to go to one of those two spots.

Personally, I prefer to try and avoid Crags/Forest as much as possible (unless I have result modifiers or don't even need to roll), gimme a card draw over potential missed turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.