9 Posts

Unearth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Forgotten Song - order of re-rolls rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Gilmore
msg tools
mb
I think it is Forgotten Song that makes all dice on Ruins with a particular number re-roll, i.e. add dice showing a 1 would be re-rolled.

If there are multiple dice that need to be re-rolled, what determines the order they of the re-rolls?

This can have a large effect, because the re-rolled die might give it's owner a stone from the Ruin, or might cause the Ruin to trigger before the other dice on it can be re-rolled.

We wen't with player turn order, then current player choice to determine order, i.e. all current players dice re-roll in order they choose, then next player's dice all re-roll in current players chosen order, etc.

But we couldn't find anything in the rules or FAQ that specifies this.

_IG_

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure it's simultaneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gilmore
msg tools
mb
How do you simultaneously determine who gets the limited # of stones on a Ruin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see your issue there.

I still think you re-roll simultaneously (i.e. the ruin can't be resolved before everyone re-rolls). But after that, if multiple people are owed a stone, I'd probably do what you did...and in turn order you take stones until it runs out, then the rest just pull from the bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gilmore
msg tools
mb
That doesn't seem right.

From the rules "Whenever a die is rolled, rerolled, or a card is played, check to see if the total of all the dice on any Ruins Card is greater than or equal to the claim value of the Ruin"

If it is simultaneous and then evaluate the Ruin, it should say "When all dice are rolled, rerolled...". The singular word die should mean that after every die changes, you evaluate the Ruin.

But, of course, it could just be badly worded. There are a lot of ambiguous or missing things in the rulebook/faq.

_IG_

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha...I think you are overthinking this

Forgotten Song clearly says, "Reroll all dice showing that number." So you reroll them all at the same time, then follow the rules as written...

"Whenever a die is rolled, rerolled, or a card is played, check to see if the total of all the dice on any Ruins Card is greater than or equal to the claim value of the Ruin".

Sure it could say "die/dice" to cover both cases, but I think it's pretty clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Morrow
msg tools
I disagree that he's overthinking this. This is a significant rules hole that deserves an answer from an official source, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Harner
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All dice are re-rolled at the same time. The player who played the card chooses the order that Stones are taken. Then the Ruin is checked to see if it has been claimed.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gilmore
msg tools
mb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.