BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Kickstarter exclusives rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicole Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hi there! I'm not really sure where I'm supposed to ask this question, but thought I'd try it out here. I'm doing some work-related research on Kickstarter exclusives -- as in, games that have not and will not be in retail. 7th Continent comes to mind, as does Simulacra's The Wilson Wolfe Affair. I think I heard Batman: The Boardgame will be that way as well, though I'm not sure if that will have a retail pledge level.

Can anyone here let me know of any other Kickstarter-exclusive titles? Have there ever been "KS-exclusive" games that eventually find their way to retail?

Thanks!
Nicole
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a cool game called Villages that did not seem to go to shops directly.
I went to the game forum and it looks like it you may be able to get the game by contacting the creator and he will add you to a backerkit.
Some other games may have gone to something like game crafter where they make your game to order.

A large amount of the games do go retail but the little exclusives they add are not available unless they keep some for conventions and shows.

Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game and Kingdom Death: Monster do not look like they went to retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
CMON's upcoming game HATE will be exclusive to KS.

Edit to add: It is supposed to have a level that retailers can buy games at as well, but it will not go through traditional distribution channels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
Penny of king Sigtrygg II Silkbeard of Dublin
mbmbmbmbmb
GitFeatures wrote:
There was a cool game called Villages that did not seem to go to shops directly.
I went to the game forum and it looks like it you may be able to get the game by contacting the creator and he will add you to a backerkit.
Some other games may have gone to something like game crafter where they make your game to order.

A large amount of the games do go retail but the little exclusives they add are not available unless they keep some for conventions and shows.

Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game and Kingdom Death: Monster do not look like they went to retail.

Very few Kickstarter games are stated to be Kickstarter Exclusive. KS Exclusives are almost always for components rather than full games. However, large numbers of KS games are hard to buy after initial fulfilment, when the publisher only prints enough to be sure of fulfilling KS orders.

Kingdom Death: Monster is retailed from the publisher's web site, so it certainly is not KS Exclusive, even though it is not in general distribution. The Gloom of Kilforth second Kickstarter envisages that a limited number of copies will go to retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought Pandemonium Kickstarter Edition inc. stretch goals from an online shop. The box and some stretch goals had "Kickstarter Exclusive" labels on the Kickstarter page, though down the page they said they would try to get it to retail but could not guarantee it (In the "Why Pledge Now? 2. Exclusivity" section).

I'm very happy to have been able to have got a copy. Nice art and cool minis and interesting theme.

I did see Gloom of Kilforth in online shops but it was soon out of stock. I'm on board for the Kickstarter reprint and expansions, which I think are still available on Backerkit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are quite a few that only fund enough to be available to Kickstarter backers. But, I don't know that the intention is for them to be Kickstarter exclusive. 7th Continent and the upcoming CMON game are the only ones I've heard will only be sold via KS (or second-hand).

With Batman, it seems a miss to have that IP and go KS exclusive with it. I could see it only being available through KS and direct purchase from the publishers. I know there were issues with Conan's retail release that also caused some of the expansions to not be printed. I think they want to avoid this issue with Batman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.