Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Just got my final shipment of items (super excited! Sorry everyone else still waiting =( ), and I just wanted to clarify something about some of the troops that have special recruitment rules.

Specifically:
So, for certain troops, I know for sure they cannot be picked during the recruitment process. An example being The Giant Spiders, since on Arachne's character board she has a power where she gets them for free during the recruitment phase. There's also a line that says something along the lines of "This is the only way Giant Spiders can be recruited" (its too bad they didnt write this on the Giant Spiders card somewhere, it would make it easier to track).

But in contrast, Artemis has a similar power where she gets her Hounds for free... but her power does NOT have the "this is the only way the hounds can be recruited" errata. So this leads me to believe that anyone can recruit the Hounds if Artemis isnt chosen as a divinity? I wasnt sure if it was that or they just forgot to put it on the power description. Another good comparison is that Hephaistos also has this power and it also has the "this is the only way..." rule.

So just wondering: Troops with special recruitments like this, are they up for grabs by anyone if they dont have that "This is the only way they can be recruited" line or was that just a oversight?

Also, is there a list of all the "Special Recruit" Troops out since the Troops themselves dont have the special rules listed? Off the top of my head here's what I can remember:

-Have "This is the only way XXX can be recruited"

Giant Spiders (Arachne)
Circe's Wolves (Circe)
Circe's Pigs (Circe)
Lava Golems (Hephaistos)

-Don't say other Divinity teams cant recruit them (Though Scylla's Tenticles and the Spartoi are intertwined with Scylla and Dragon of Thebes respectively)

Hounds of Artemis (Artemis)
Saytrs (Pan)
Scylla's Tentacles (Scylla)
Spartoi (Dragon of Thebes)

Thanks in advance all for the discussion! =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Castro
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they try to make this self-evident in the game by no providing you with a recruitment card for troops that are not meant to be recruited by other gods.

Don't quote me, but I think "Circe's Wolves, The Spartoi, Giant Spiders, Hounds of Artemis, Scylla's Tentacles, and Villagers don't have Recruitment cards."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jfc1005 wrote:
I think they try to make this self-evident in the game by no providing you with a recruitment card for troops that are not meant to be recruited by other gods.

Don't quote me, but I think "Circe's Wolves, The Spartoi, Giant Spiders, Hounds of Artemis, Scylla's Tentacles, and Villagers don't have Recruitment cards."

Yeh I saw someone mention the recruitment card missing in another thread just now, and agree its a good way to justify they aren't recruit-able (though id still love an official ruling on that). We actually like using the character boards still just because we like to look at the full info when picking, so I forgot about those recruitment cards.

I just wish they would have added the "This is the only way..." clause on all the people that have this power and not just some of them.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blottie
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The character boards also shouldn't have a recruitment value on them if you can't recruit them outside of special use. So you don't need to use just the cards, if the character board doesn't have a recruitment value, it can't be recruited through normal means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blottieb wrote:
The character boards also shouldn't have a recruitment value on them if you can't recruit them outside of special use. So you don't need to use just the cards, if the character board doesn't have a recruitment value, it can't be recruited through normal means.

The Troop Character Cards (they don’t have boards) don’t have recruitment points on them so that doesn’t work for knowing whether or not you can recruit the Troops normally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jfc1005 wrote:

I did find one Troop that messes up this rule just now. The Lava Golems who can only be Special Recruited by Hephaistos have a Recruitment Card .

I think it might be just a print mistake really, but yeh at this point I just had to tell everyone the list of locked troops at the beginning of drafting. I’m thinking of separating them out of the rest of the Troop character cards too just to make team picking easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no troops have recruitment values as they are all 1...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loig wrote:
no troops have recruitment values as they are all 1...

But not all troops can be recruited by the regular draft and can only be recruited by drafting certain other people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.