Subject: Athena's Owl attack? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Stallings
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Flying creature attacks are not limited by line of sight obstructions.
Can the owl attack over los obstructions or is it limited to clear los as Athena is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BillStallings wrote:
Flying creature attacks are not limited by line of sight obstructions.
Can the owl attack over los obstructions or is it limited to clear los as Athena is?

THEMATICALLY I get what you're saying, but just strictly from game rules and RAW, I would say the attack is coming from Artemis and she isn't a flying creature (so no bonus of ignoring LoS).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the rules, the way they are written, that it requires LOS.

But let's be honest, thematically I think you have to ask whether Athena is directing the Owl against something she has seen, or if she is launching it and we assume that a goddamn giant mythical owl that keeps company with an arguably 40+ foot Goddess (If the statue that was in the Parthenon is used as a reference) has enough brain power to attack something on its own. laugh

I haven not played yet, but purely conjecture on reading my stat cards, I can't imagine it being extremely OP if you do assume that a giant mythical owl (That also has enough brain power to not attack friendly units, and is at least 5 - 10 ft tall given the scale, not to mention it's wing span) has enough cognitive reasoning to be directed to "Hunt" and seek out an enemy she can't see.

(I know I keep harping on its height, my point simply being is, if it's on her shoulder, we can safely assume, that given a mortal owls already amazing eye sight, it can see shit super far away from it's 35 ft perch).

This is the fun of the game methinks, it's a sand box of 40ft Gods and Goddesses (Not you Hera, your hate and spite has made you short, or maybe it's just because you are old and dealing with osteoporosis) and their acolytes doing their thing and you can decide to some degree how to have that fun and magic happen on the table. After all, it is a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominick Piantoni
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Generally the power will say it negates LoS, sort of like Artemis' Golden Bow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.