Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just made a textual connection and am throwing it out for speculation.

Spoilers for the end of The Dunwich Legacy
Spoiler (click to reveal)
One of the epilogues follows a Gené Beauregard, apparently a professor or grad student, exploring an abandoned Dunwich.

And for a player card from Path To Carcosa
The flavor text on Field Work reads
Quote:
If this didn't get Gené into the Explorers Club, nothing would.
. The art depicts a young woman calmly observing a large beast from a distance.

So who is Gené? I don't know all the Arkham Files investigators, but I haven't found any information on such a character. She's certainly a Seeker type. An eventual investigator? Maybe in a Dunwich sequel or another novel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not an existing investigator. Hell, I'd say it's quite possible that it's just a red herring. FFG probably know that there is always someone who is willing to read too much into something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dunwich Legacy design notes explicitly tell you to look for references to the original story throughout the campaign. If people read too much into their stuff, it's because they want them to. It could be a red herring, sure, but I doubt it's FFG trolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Release the Report
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see her turning up as an ally in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Mundane has his finger on the pulse of truth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Deas
msg tools
mbmbmb
We might hear more from Gene in the game, but this might be one of Fantasy Flight's many characters that are limited to appearances in the flavour text. Most of the flavour characters I've seen from Netrunner have remained in those italicised sections, although some have appeared on card art and one even became an identity in time. So the answer to the question of whether we'll see Gene Beauregard more in future is a very definite maybe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't be surprised if s/he turns up as a sidekick in one of the novellas, and then later on as a useful ally.

Feels like they're building something up. Remember that the allies (other than ones we know like Joey the Rat) have been oddly unmentioned in other Arkham Files games. For instance, I don't think Peter Sylvestre is anywhere (I may be wrong). I find it odd to include allies like these because the investigators and lore are so entrenched for longtiime fans that the new allies feel kinda bland. There's no clue as to who they are.

It feels weird to take Peter in a deck (to me) over Joey the Rat for instance even though I know he is almost objectively better in every way. He feels rather like a tool (another machete) than a character.

Probably just me, but I've been with the games a long time now.

I'm hoping they're trying to do a bit of mythos updating for allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny, I feel much the opposite, and it's because I'm not as familiar with the FFG Arkham characters. I prefer a few hints about a character with plenty of space to fill in the details myself. I'm disappointed when I find out there's already several games' worth of background for a character for whom I've developed my own head cannon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's fair CSerpent, but I do find plenty of wiggle room to create headcannon just from the unpredictable turns that a given game can take.

For instance, I will always remember the scenario of Mansions 1st edition where I was playing Sister Mary. While the Gangster I was partnered up with was walking around seemingly avoiding nearly all things mythos, Sister Mary was constantly on alert and ended up chasing a Hunting Horror or Hound of Tyndalos or something through the hallways of a nearly empty all-girls school with nothing to fight it with other than a fire-extinguisher.

She crit on her attack and the fire extinguisher exploded, but the dang monster got away anyway. Meanwhile, the guy with the Tommy gun was searching through the closets of (presumably) the girls' dorm.

Needless to say, we lost, but as far as Michael McGlen was concerned, nothing particularly interesting happened and Sister Mary was a ranting loon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
headcannon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sebastianmarkow wrote:
CSerpent wrote:
I just made a textual connection and am throwing it out for speculation.

Spoilers for the end of The Dunwich Legacy
One of the epilogues follows a Gené Beauregard, apparently a professor or grad student, exploring an abandoned Dunwich.

And for a player card from Path To Carcosa
The flavor text on Field Work reads
Quote:
If this didn't get Gené into the Explorers Club, nothing would.
. The art depicts a young woman calmly observing a large beast from a distance.

So who is Gené? I don't know all the Arkham Files investigators, but I haven't found any information on such a character. She's certainly a Seeker type. An eventual investigator? Maybe in a Dunwich sequel or another novel?

Thanks for spoiling in the title

I don't follow. If someone considers a name a spoiler, then I'm sorry. That's beyond my personal standard for a spoiler though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, then, what is it that you feel I've spoiled? Particularly "in the title"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently a name, which would not have any context at all if you consider it a spoiler (because you would have to be unfamiliar with the character), and if you do have context still gives you no information about what was marked in the spoiler tag.

I don't follow either CSerpent. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.