Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Janssen
United States
Lake Zurich
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that the board game has a problem with the exposed traitor being too powerful. Does the card game have this too?

I've only played 6 games and only one of those with an exposed traitor, but it was painful! It was a three player game. We had 5 white and 3 black swords. One player made a complete boneheaded, obvious play and so we knew she was the traitor. We called her out, she was a traitor, and we added a 6th white sword. We were one away from winning and 4 away from losing and the two loyal knights knew exactly who to trust.

On the traitor's turn, she could only take the top two cards and play one of them to the top of the Rumor pile. We ended up losing 7 to 6. Admittedly, she did a good job by adding question marks and tried to add any color that hadn't shown up for awhile to keep us confused. However, we still knew where we were at. The problem was, twice we hit the number we needed to succeed on a quest and both times it was then the traitor's turn. There were only 3 of us, so that could happen 33% of the time. So she'd play another card, once pushing us past our total and once just making it so the next player couldn't go on that quest.

Actually, now that I think about it, if the traitor in a 3 player game is playing well, there should be like a 67% chance of avoiding an opportunity to go on a successful quest. On their turn they can't go on a quest, so even if the number is favorable they won't. Second, they get to pick one of two cards to play so have a huge chance of avoiding playing a card that will allow for a successful quest.

I think in a game with more players this wouldn't be the case, but in a 3 player game it was brutal. I imagine in a 2 player game you wouldn't even have to try: just throw the game and if they call you out you can stonewall them until they lose.

Has anyone else noticed this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.