Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion 7? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob P.
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we know if there ever will be a 7th expansion? The demon still needs to be in an expansion, right?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Personally, I hope not. The aliens have become nonsense as the expansions have gone on. The additional rules have been a fun distraction but none of them have become permanent features in our games. The reward deck is a little convoluted now (but still good) and I don’t particularly need any more player sets. So unless the designers stop jumping the shark power-wise (which, considering the sheer amount of powers, may be impossible), I don’t see what else they can add!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tinney
Australia
BROKEN HILL
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryucoo wrote:
Personally, I hope not. The aliens have become nonsense as the expansions have gone on. The additional rules have been a fun distraction but none of them have become permanent features in our games. The reward deck is a little convoluted now (but still good) and I don’t particularly need any more player sets. So unless the designers stop jumping the shark power-wise (which, considering the sheer amount of powers, may be impossible), I don’t see what else they can add!


Never say never.

I strongly disagree that the quality of the aliens has lessened. I would say that the essence cards have opened up some very interesting design space and allowed for some truly unique and enjoyable powers and that Dominion has some of the best aliens in the game in terms of playability.

I for one would love to see more Space Stations added and some more essence aliens. Who am I kidding, it doesn’t really matter what they added. If it had more aliens I’d buy it.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I’d love more hazards, more space stations, and more aliens. The last two expansions had great aliens.
There’s always room for more cosmic on my shelf.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hay
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryucoo wrote:
The aliens have become nonsense as the expansions have gone on.


Dominion and Eons have some of the most fun powers in the FFG edition and they're pretty consistently at least good, unlike certain expansions that preceded them. If they were able to manage somewhere around that level of quality indefinitely, I'll keep buying them.

And hidden alliances are probably the 2nd most worthy variant included in expansions past the Rewards deck(s).

There was that thing about a 2 player version a while ago. I signed up on the "help playtest" thing and never heard anything. Is any more on that known by now?

And Cosmic Encounter is getting to about that age and expansion count where it could see the dreaded "Expansion Expansion" - which I wouldn't mind. More techs, space stations, and hazards are sorely needed to let those variants see their day in the sun. Throw in some more distinct Hazard cards while they're at it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunspots
Planets
New Technology
Cultural Limitations
Special Ship Variants
Penalty Deck
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Personally, I hope so! While Storm was terrible, Dominion wasn't and more aliens like those can be printed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob P.
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally was hoping for more technology. That and powers which can interact with hazards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What we need it a big box expansion with more space to store and organize aliens. Also more space stations, technology, Hazards experience improvements, and maybe a few moons just because.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've love to see at least 9 expansions, so they can equal the number from the original Eon set. And then maybe one more, to surpass it.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
Pixeling ain't easy, but someone's gotta do it...
badge
LION OF JUDAH
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Another fan expansion would be great, because Eons was almost garbage if people like Bill Martinson, Jack Reda, and others didn't give the designers a wake up call that they were creating something so unbalanced, unplayable, and unfun that no Cosmic fan would want it. The little blurb in the Eon "manual" even says so.

So unless some fan or someone with the kind of experience that Kevin Wilson had was at the helm, I am purely not interested.


My personal order in expansions is thus:

Dominion (The best aliens of any expansion, and a great Rewards Deck)
Incursion (2nd best set of aliens, Rewards Deck, and orange player)
Conflict (Very good aliens, Hazards, and black player)
Eons (Mostly good aliens, alliance dials)
Alliance (Decent aliens, More cards, white player)

Storm (Just don't buy it, it's that bad.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johann Gambolputty
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Messianic wrote:
Another fan expansion would be great, because Eons was almost garbage if people like Bill Martinson, Jack Reda, and others didn't give the designers a wake up call that they were creating something so unbalanced, unplayable, and unfun that no Cosmic fan would want it. The little blurb in the Eon "manual" even says so.

So unless some fan or someone with the kind of experience that Kevin Wilson had was at the helm, I am purely not interested.

My favorite part of the Eons beta-test was discovering that one of the powers had the power to lose it's power - immediately upon the game starting, you were to flip your alien sheet over, with no hope of ever having a power for the rest of the game.

While it still has some bugs that made it through QC, Eons adds a lot of fun and unique powers to the game, with essence cards being a fantastic addition. However, it's incredibly off-putting how the Eons aliens were not all credited to their original authors - this raises some concerns about if this would happen again if the next expansion is fan-sourced like Dominion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are still many options that haven't been included, some of which Phil pointed out above ... I'd love to see another (and another and another) expansion for Cosmic, but from what I've seen over the past few is that the more input they get from the public/fans (but under the direction of the more seasoned vets), the better the expansion.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And of course there are still many letters of the alphabet not yet used for expansion names.

Back in 2011, I suggested these, one of which they used. (Not that I'm claiming it was because of my post.):
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
So let's see... possible names for further expansions...

Cosmic Alliance - include some new aliens that deal with alliances, such as Magnet, Crystal, Delegator, Ghost, Subversive.

Cosmic Machination - maybe new tech and intrigue-tricksy aliens

Cosmic Phenomenon - maybe new hazards, moons, and other game modifying things

Cosmic Business - the Lucre expansion

Cosmic Politics - (instead of Phenomenon) Prisoners?

Cosmic War - War cards?

Cosmic Battle

Cosmic Law


And here is an excerpt from another post of mine in 2011:
Quote:
Cosmic Subterfuge
Cosmic War
Cosmic Alliance
Cosmic Trouble
Cosmic Machinations
Cosmic Politics
Cosmic Business
Cosmic Phenomena
Cosmic Valor
Cosmic Knowledge
Cosmic Wisdom
Cosmic Justice
Cosmic Quest
Cosmic Revolution


But FFG has said, in rather strong terms, that they're NEVER going to do a Lucre expansion.

So we've got BFGHJKLMNOPQRTUVWXYZ.

So how 'bout:

Cosmic Beauty
Cosmic Fauna
Cosmic Glory
Cosmic Hellfire
Cosmic Jokes
Cosmic Knowledge
Cosmic Legion
Cosmic Master
Cosmic Negotiation
Cosmic Opportunity
Cosmic Prophecy
Cosmic Question
Cosmic Revolution
Cosmic Tournament
Cosmic Underground
Cosmic Victory
Cosmic War
Cosmic Xylophone
Cosmic Yo-Yo
Cosmic Zealotry

That's 20 more expansions! Let's get going!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
But FFG has said, in rather strong terms, that they're NEVER going to do a Lucre expansion.


Well, I dunno what they're doing now, but there was a period in between Cosmic Dominion and Cosmic Eons when that door was open. That's about all I feel safe in saying. whistle

Quote:
Cosmic Revolution


That'd be a brilliant name for expansion #7...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And while I'm at it, let's make sure that the names of the new aliens - at least some of them - rhyme with other aliens so they can fit into the Cosmic Encounter Alien Song. I had to use a number of off-rhymes last time.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Osborn
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if it would be an expansion or another game entirely, but I would love to see an official 2 player variant.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
StrikeByFire wrote:
I'm not sure if it would be an expansion or another game entirely, but I would love to see an official 2 player variant.


About a year ago, Future Pastimes had a fairly public playtest of a 2-player Cosmic Encounter game. It was planned as a separate game, but I haven't heard anything about it since the playtest ended.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just can't imagine CE working as a 2-player game. Don't get me wrong, CE's my favorite game, but the mechanics of the game are... not that interesting in a void. The game really only works in the context of politics and negotiation.

If there was a 2-player version, I think it would have to be an entirely new game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
I just can't imagine CE working as a 2-player game. Don't get me wrong, CE's my favorite game, but the mechanics of the game are... not that interesting in a void. The game really only works in the context of politics and negotiation.

If there was a 2-player version, I think it would have to be an entirely new game.


It is, and it works. It feels like Cosmic, even without the politics. There were some clever changes to the traditional game to make it happen. I played over a dozen games, I think, and had quite a few moments that were just classic Cosmic Encounter.

I'm really hoping it gets published, but I don't know if it will.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Penguinised wrote:
Ryucoo wrote:
Personally, I hope not. The aliens have become nonsense as the expansions have gone on. The additional rules have been a fun distraction but none of them have become permanent features in our games. The reward deck is a little convoluted now (but still good) and I don’t particularly need any more player sets. So unless the designers stop jumping the shark power-wise (which, considering the sheer amount of powers, may be impossible), I don’t see what else they can add!


Never say never.

I strongly disagree that the quality of the aliens has lessened. I would say that the essence cards have opened up some very interesting design space and allowed for some truly unique and enjoyable powers and that Dominion has some of the best aliens in the game in terms of playability.



Most of Dominion is a gobbledygook mess, imo. And I personally find that the essence aliens add too many moving parts for next to no return. But then I prefer my Cosmic when it’s simpler and streamlined, rather than everyone being heads down reading screeds of text. Also not a fan of ‘zany’ (cringe) and love more elegant and clever powers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryucoo wrote:
Most of Dominion is a gobbledygook mess, imo. And I personally find that the essence aliens add too many moving parts for next to no return. But then I prefer my Cosmic when it’s simpler and streamlined, rather than everyone being heads down reading screeds of text. Also not a fan of ‘zany’ (cringe) and love more elegant and clever powers.


We deliberately aimed Cosmic Dominion at the top end of complexity because it was aimed at the players who love that. But there are a lot of players who agree with you, and I hope that future expansions (if they happen) keep that in mind.

I wish that FFG were a little more adventurous with the expansions. All six have consisted of a small box with 20-30 aliens and a little bit of something else -- a player color, a small card-based variant subsystem, etc. Why not have an expansion with NO aliens and a major, but still fairly simple, variant subsystem? A moons expansion. A lucre expansion. A variant warp. Eon used to do this all the time.

Point being, after 200 aliens or whatever, the grounds for elegance are largely exhausted. Another expansion aimed at that audience would require FFG to think outside the small box, and I don't know that they're interested in that. Considering this edition of Cosmic is the most successful one ever, they're probably wiser than me on this topic, but I can still wish...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Ryucoo wrote:
Most of Dominion is a gobbledygook mess, imo. And I personally find that the essence aliens add too many moving parts for next to no return. But then I prefer my Cosmic when it’s simpler and streamlined, rather than everyone being heads down reading screeds of text. Also not a fan of ‘zany’ (cringe) and love more elegant and clever powers.


We deliberately aimed Cosmic Dominion at the top end of complexity because it was aimed at the players who love that. But there are a lot of players who agree with you, and I hope that future expansions (if they happen) keep that in mind.

I wish that FFG were a little more adventurous with the expansions. All six have consisted of a small box with 20-30 aliens and a little bit of something else -- a player color, a small card-based variant subsystem, etc. Why not have an expansion with NO aliens and a major, but still fairly simple, variant subsystem? A moons expansion. A lucre expansion. A variant warp. Eon used to do this all the time.

Point being, after 200 aliens or whatever, the grounds for elegance are largely exhausted. Another expansion aimed at that audience would require FFG to think outside the small box, and I don't know that they're interested in that. Considering this edition of Cosmic is the most successful one ever, they're probably wiser than me on this topic, but I can still wish...


Oh aye, like I said above jumping the shark becomes inevitable when something is allowed to run on longer than it has the legs for.

Which is why I can’t really see the value in another expansion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
Pixeling ain't easy, but someone's gotta do it...
badge
LION OF JUDAH
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If I wasn't already threatened with legal action for doing so, I would release a public free to download expansion for the game with two new variants (Moons and Lucre) and 30 REALLY good aliens, some of which are quite simple and elegant. But alas...
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jendrzej Szemis
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I would love to see another expansion. I actually would like to see an expansion for expansion expansion!

Specifically, I would like to see stations revisited. It is my most favoured variant and it’s a pity it was under done when first released. I would like to see a deck of 20 to 30 cards of all different stations (minus custom art but compatible with the old ones) and just some circular generic counters that are a lot more flexible that the awful stations counters from Storm. A bunch of aliens that play with the station mechanics would also be nice.

I would also love to see some more tech cards and a bunch of aliens that mess with them.

There are a few classics aliens that would be nice additions to the game. A Witch implemented with essence cards comes to mind.

Finally I would like to see Demon given a wider release. (That the completions talking in me ).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.