Popular Tags: [View All]
Vlad
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,
so we played 3 2-player games now and while we love the theme here the game is just not a challenge and that is definitely a problem for any sort of longevity.

We found it too easy first couple of playthroughs so we decided to start with 2 rifts open, 1 equipment card each and the highest 'difficulty' of 9 time machine pieces. At no point were we even close to 'losing' the game. It's very easy to get castaways and bring them back and it's very easy to fight off any dinosaur with a repel weapon. I guess those two things are supposed to bring tension but they just don't.

Have any of you figured out how to make the game more challenging but still keep it winnable? We have a bunch of ideas but that would mean playtesting and we might just move to a different game at that point. The theme is fantastic. This game deserves better rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladk wrote:
Hey guys,
so we played 3 2-player games now and while we love the theme here the game is just not a challenge and that is definitely a problem for any sort of longevity.

We found it too easy first couple of playthroughs so we decided to start with 2 rifts open, 1 equipment card each and the highest 'difficulty' of 9 time machine pieces. At no point were we even close to 'losing' the game. It's very easy to get castaways and bring them back and it's very easy to fight off any dinosaur with a repel weapon. I guess those two things are supposed to bring tension but they just don't.

Have any of you figured out how to make the game more challenging but still keep it winnable? We have a bunch of ideas but that would mean playtesting and we might just move to a different game at that point. The theme is fantastic. This game deserves better rules

You realize every game here has a Variants forum? That's the first place to look for house rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did not know that, thanks. Doesn't seem to be anything in there for this game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played 3-4 times (3p only) and only won once. And that was on the lower difficulty levels. Though we always "choose" our characters randomly to mix things up.

There's just a lot of chaos in the game. That's not a complaint, as I don't mind it one bit. But things can go your way (or not) depending on how the hexes flip, the cards come out, and the dice roll.

Also, Driving Off a creature isn't mechanically any easier than Killing a creature - and worse it causes you to expend a Will token. We know we're in deep, sweaty jungle trouble when an 8-Brawn creature appears. As it usually does.

It might also be easier with more players? In our last game, by luck, castaways tended to appear on the opposite side of the board from the heroes. That's less likely with more players, as there's better board coverage.

A simple 'make it harder' variant is to change the starting position of the Paradox track. Use the 4-player starting point for 3 players, for instance. You could also play the equivalent of a 4p game (two characters each) and see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladk wrote:
Did not know that, thanks. Doesn't seem to be anything in there for this game though.

Nod. I think what he means is that if you have ideas about variants that could be compelling, if you post them there, it's generally where other folks will look for and comment on variants that you propose with thoughts or suggestions.

I've not had the string of winning that you have, but I definitely think that 2P has been easier to grapple with than higher player counts (though there's nothing innately about the way the game adjusts for player count that would suggest it's easier for two: it just seems to play out that way for us).

So you're able to get all the pieces and recover all the equipment and send castaways back consistently? Our games, grabbing equipment was always the kicker, since the residual equipment at game end added to the paradox pain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First two games we didn't fully finish equipment deck but we were in single digits paradox so it didn't really matter. Last game we played for all 9 machine parts so the deck ran our quite a bit before we got the last part. For 2 players 16 cards are removed from the deck so the deck is not that big.

In the lats game we ended with one castaway on the board but he was only worth 1 paradox so we just let him die. Should've probably houseruled 'no castaway left behind'.

It might be that we are just that lucky but being able to spend will tokens to add dice just makes most encounters a non-issue. Maybe that's the tweak to try.

I'm thinking we maybe increase paradox every turn or spawn a bunch of dinosaurs right away to have some sort of danger. I think at the most we've had 3 creatures/castaways on the board at one time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladk wrote:

There's this: A variant trait "Predatory"
I have no idea if it's any good, but the writer said the idea was to make the creatures more deadly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Vladk wrote:

There's this: A variant trait "Predatory"
I have no idea if it's any good, but the writer said the idea was to make the creatures more deadly.

I saw that but the author says it's untested. I have ideas on how to improve things but I'd rather play something that's already good vs playtesting a game that I think could be good. I might come back to it when new Jurassic Park comes out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.