mike hayes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Four players sit down to play Monopoly.

No trading takes place.

A winner emerges after 3 rounds having bankrupted the other three players.

How?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean 3 rounds of each player having there turn (therefore 12 turns) or 3 dice rolls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spike1 wrote:
Four players sit down to play Monopoly...A winner emerges...

There is no winner when anyone sits down to play Monopoly.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
However you achieved it, it would be my favorite game of Monopoly ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There can be more than one dice roll in a player's turn (doubles.) Specific "Chance" or "Community Chest" cards might be needed. And my head spins at the thought of going to jail being important for the winner or losers.

Beyond those thoughts, I don't much care to spend any more time on it. I don't even have the game anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mb
All players start with 1500M.
Round 1: The winning player starts first. She rolls a (1,1) and then a (6,6) landing on the first orange. (She gets a chance card while going there and receives 200M) She buys the plot for 180M (1520M remaining). She rolls a (1,1). She buys the next orange plot for 180M (1340M remaining). She then rolls another double that lands her in the prison. The rest of the players all roll a (1,2) landing on the second brown plot but all pass on buying it (also no one bids for it in the auction).
Round 2: Someone spills their tea onto the gaming table and the game is put on hold. When the mess is dealt with the players are forced to reshuffle the chance cards since while resetting the game someone took a peak and got caught. The first player gets out of the prison and rolls a (6,6) landing on chance while passing through start. She receives 200M from the chance card (again) as well as 200M from Start. (1740M remaining). She then rolls a (5,5) and then a (5,4) and buys the last orange property for 200M (1540M remaining). She builds a hotel on all three for 1500M total bringing her to 1540M - 1500M = 40M. All other players land on the first hotel by rolling a (4,4) and then a (3,3). They pay up (1500M - 950M = 550M remaining) and roll a (1,2) landing them again on a hotel and bankrupting them (550M - 1000M).

That's in two turns. If you want you can just give the first player a "Walk to start and get 200 paid" chance on the second turn and turn this fairly to a three turn victory. PS: I actually took out my free copy of Monopoly out and read the rules just to do this. It was not worth it. (Also same thing can be done with any other colour up to orange with the exception of brown I suppose)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could do it in three turns easily.

Turn 1 - I douse the board and pieces with a liberal amount of lighter fluid.

Turn 2 - I go to the kitchen and find some matches.

Turn 3 - I toss a lit match onto the board and dance around it gleefully while the other players run away. Game over, I win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
You can do it in 1 round if each other player spends all their money on a property that goes to auction.

You can do it on a single turn if you keep rolling doubles and land on community chest over and over again since there are cards that make other players pay you. You will have to cycle through the deck a few dozen times, but it's possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Uglum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shortest game of Monopoly:

Player 1: "Hey let's play Monopoly." (Player 1 grabs Monopoly)

Player 2: "Hey let's not."

(Player 1 puts down Monopoly)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
You can do it in 1 round if each other player spends all their money on a property that goes to auction.

You can do it on a single turn if you keep rolling doubles and land on community chest over and over again since there are cards that make other players pay you. You will have to cycle through the deck a few dozen times, but it's possible.

But you can't get more than 3 straight doubles in a turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
To play Monopoly I'd sure need a double (Scotch, that is).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svitjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a forum for Monopoly. Ask there. Why do geeks think Monopoly is "General Gaming"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Harris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll bite:

Player 1:
Rolls double 6s
Rolls double 6s
Rolls 6+5
Ends on Shortline without purchasing anything with $1500

Player 2-4:
Doesn't really matter as long as they buy a property

Turn 2
Player 1:
Rolls double 1s
Buys Park Place for $350 - has 1150 left
Rolls double 1s
Buys Boardwalk for $400 - has 750 left
Rolls 1+2, passing go, getting $200, landing on chance, gets a go to go card and gets another $200 - 1150 left

Players 2-4:
continue along buying some more property

Turn 3:
Player 1:
Pays $800 to place 2 houses each on Park Place and Boardwalk and a 3rd house on Boardwalk

Players 2-4:
Land on Boardwalk and owe 1400 each - all go bankrupt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Swift
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Player 1 plays normally, the other 3 players play to lose. There are 2 ways to lose quickly:

1. Land on a property, allow it to go to auction. Bid all your money on it. Go bankrupt as soon as you have to pay something (e.g. Tax) that costs more than you can get for mortgaging the property.

2. Land on a property, buy it. Repeatedly mortgage and un-mortgage the property, paying the fee each time until you run out of money. Go bankrupt as soon as you have to pay something (e.g. Tax) that costs more than you can get for mortgaging the property.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonie van der Tweel
msg tools
mbmb
Dinoopoly (the monopolyclone I could inspect the rules of) sends the player to nearly extinct (=jail) on the third double.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hayes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Cameron has pretty well spelt out an answer in the spirit of how I asked it (though you could say that the losing players land on both Park Place and Boardwalk on their final turn)

A harder challenge is to find out how it can be done in 2 rounds (it is possible). Can you find a solution under these playing conditions?

1. No trading between any players.
2. After drawing and completing action of a Chance or Community Chest cards, the card is put on the bottom of the pack (as per usual in the game).
3. The winner has luck on his side and plays with intelligence.
4. The losing players try their best but luck is against them.

As an aside, I don't think we should casually dismiss playing-matters of this old-chestnut of a game. This Christmas, millions of kids will be playing a game for the first time and for many of them it will be Monopoly.

Later, Monopoly will be used as a benchmark against which these kids
rate the next game that they play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
ooozan wrote:
The winning player starts first. She rolls a (1,1) and then a (6,6) landing on the first orange. She rolls a (1,1).

She is already in prison. The third double sends you there.

Edit: Cameron has it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So...the best possible outcome for short monopoly games ends up with someone in prison?

And people say that violence isn't the answer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spike1 wrote:
As an aside, I don't think we should casually dismiss playing-matters of this old-chestnut of a game. This Christmas, millions of kids will be playing a game for the first time and for many of them it will be Monopoly.

Later, Monopoly will be used as a benchmark against which these kids
rate the next game that they play.

Thank God for PanzerBlitz.

We had Monopoly in the house before I was born. Wooden tokens. Wooden houses and hotels. A small square box that had to leave the board separate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. No trading between any players.
2. After drawing and completing action of a Chance or Community Chest cards, the card is put on the bottom of the pack (as per usual in the game).
3. The winner has luck on his side and plays with intelligence.
4. The losing players try their best but luck is against them.

I like that. It's a lot easier if everyone spends $1499 on their first buy for no reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Picksburd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a real life case or a hypothetical situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Fox
New Zealand
Titirangi
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
Set up table for Monopoly in front of games shelf...

Three rounds in: "Why are we playing this when we could be playing Scythe or Blood Rage?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.