Subject: Scythekick Help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anybody know of an online "manual" or help resource to explain how to get the most ouf of this app?

Mainly the Automa parts. The interface, particularly in the module that shows you how to move the Automa figures - I cannot figure out. Perhaps I'm dumber then most but I can't quite grok it, and it's all icon driven without any help screen/tutorial to show you around.

I think the faction picker and scoring are mostly self-explanatory, but wondering about the Automa. I'm getting Wind Gambit for Christmas and might upgrade to that module too, but waiting to see if I can make sense of the movement/Automa deck part first.

Also confused about "Premium" and "Early Adopter" (apparently I am one, since I got it a while back and am only now trying to use it) IAPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't used it personally, but if I've read things correctly, a thorough understanding of the automa manual is required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
MASK Crusaders... working overtime... fighting crime... fighting crime!!! Secret Raiders...
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a set of Automa rules for solo play included in the Scythe base game. You need to have a good understanding of those rules in order to use the Scythekick app effectively. Before I used the app, I learned to how to manually maneuver the automa utilizing the cards included in the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the Automa game well and have played many times. But I had bought the app awhile back and thought I'd use it as a accessory and also check my movement. But I am just struggling with the iconography.

Edit: I was playing around with it again tonight and it started to make a little sense. The toggle on the faction picker for the movement map was throwing me off I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kaiser
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love this app but I was struggling too at the very beginning (specially with the Automa).

Go with this video. You will find some helpful manual like instructions in the video descriptions below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn5fzUBVM5c
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim C
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Dan, I should probably include some in app hints or make a overview video. On iPads, the faction badge has a "Choose Faction" label but on smaller screens, you just tap the badge.

When choosing factions, you can select any of the home bases (or occupied territories as well). The controls in the lower right let you select the current unit, and then tapping on territories lets you toggle that unit. It does track to make sure you don't have more units than you are allowed, so for example in moving the character, you have to toggle it off in the old location and toggle it on in the new one.

For the Automa movement, everything is controlled by the icons in the top left, which correspond to what is on the current card. You proceed from left to right until you find the move that works (except in the highest difficulty, when all actions are performed). With Airships, the move airship icon is added at the end and used immediately after the character moves (or worker, in the active variant). The app tracks automa gains the effects of combat gains and losses. If the automa loses a human originated combat, you have to use the toggle mode to return its pieces to the home base.

When performing automa movement, the source territory has a solid ochre color, and the destination territory has a solid brown outline. Sometimes, the source and destination are the same, in this case, that's usually a valid move so you wouldn't pick another move action. To trigger the airship move, however, you do need an actual change in territory for the character.

With the Wind Gambit, there are two additional indicators. A dashed brown outline indicates the destination if the Automa doesn't have sufficient power to attack with Blitzkrieg, and the ochre outline indicates a source territory for a combat unit that might join the battle with the airship.

I hope that helps. If you have any suggestions on how to improve this, let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim C
msg tools
mbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
Also confused about "Premium" and "Early Adopter" (apparently I am one, since I got it a while back and am only now trying to use it) IAPs.

When the app switched from free to freemium in version 3.0, existing users (before version 3.0) kept all the functionality that they had previously (Premium: more than one automa, more than 2 factions, Invaders: Togawa and Albion), and had an option to purchase the Early Adopter upgrade to avoid the once per day nag, and also enable future upgrade purchases.

So essentially, Early Adopter is a discounted Premium plus Invaders available to pre 3.0 users.

You need either Premium or Early adopter to buy the Automa Helper or Wind Gambit upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the tips! It's making a lot more sense now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Dopacio
Spain
flag msg tools
Why I can't see any map on the app? I installed the android version and then I paid the upgrade (thinking that the map helper was included in this) but nothing... in the purchasing screen there is only two options, the upgraded version or the wind gambit... help please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty Craine
United States
Linden
Michigan
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/themillshow
badge
Me
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have Android, so please don't take this as gospel, but I heard that the Automa Helper was still a work in progress on Android. So you may not be missing it. It may just not be there. YET! But I have no doubt Tim is working on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim C
msg tools
mbmbmb
Dusty is correct. We have a bunch done, just not ready yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Y.
United States
flag msg tools
Hi Tim,

I have a question. I blindly upgraded to premium and purchased the invaders from afar upgrade without thoroughly checking the app. How do I cancel my purchases?

I believe the App doesn't allow naming the players and manually picking the faction and player mat. Also, It doesn't save the outcome of the game which I was kind disappointed about. I was hoping it to have a stat feature like the 7 wonders app.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim C
msg tools
mbmbmb
I handled Jake's request, but I wanted to also share a user guide in this thread:

https://medium.com/@scythekick/scythekick-user-guide-dd50312...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Taylor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello Tim,

Can you please help me? I just bought the app and looked at the user guide but it appears my automa page is not working correctly even with the purchase. It does not show any faction tab or automa cards no matter where I swipe. It just shows the board an nothing else? I got this app to use the automa. If this will not work at all on my Ipad can I get a refund? I really just want to app to work though as I love this game. What am I doing wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Taylor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nevermind I figured it out. My system needed to be updated. It was so slow it was laggy so it just appeared the cards were doing nothing. Everything works at normal speed now and works so well for my solo games. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim C
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks. I'm glad it is all sorted out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.