Subject: I have Lancashire coming, is the original worth buying? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Schultz
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Lancashire and Birmingham coming my way. I saw a used copy of the original Brass for sale for $20 and wondered if it's worth picking up.

Jeremy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Parchman
United States
Henderson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say no. You will get the same game when Lancashire arrives.

Now that being said, I did buy the deluxe edition from a geek auction just last week. I wanted the metal coins and also to frame my older Brass board to hang up in the game room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancashire is the same game as the original Brass (more or less). There's really no reason to own them both. Unless your question is, is the game so awesome I want to buy a second copy now so that I can play while waiting for my new edition to show up. In which case, no, it is awesome, but you already have plenty of games to play while waiting for your copy of Brass to be printed and shipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
Lancashire is the same game as the original Brass (more or less).
This. I think the main difference is a slight rules tweak about the virtual connection to one port... which almost never came up anyway. Other than that I think the games are identical. Maybe there's another slight difference?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mauer
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
chearns wrote:
This. I think the main difference is a slight rules tweak about the virtual connection to one port... which almost never came up anyway. Other than that I think the games are identical. Maybe there's another slight difference?

They also increased the point value of L1 cotton and made a 2p variant on the standard map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawke wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
chearns wrote:

They also increased the point value of L1 cotton and made a 2p variant on the standard map.

The 2p variant having been P&P since soon after the games release, and included as standard in recent printings of the game.

In short - Brass Lancashire is the same as the original game, with some very minor errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Get Brass instead. It looks better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:

I disagree, but more importantly, I like to see designers get paid for their work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremyschultz wrote:
I have Lancashire and Birmingham coming my way. I saw a used copy of the original Brass for sale for $20 and wondered if it's worth picking up.

Jeremy

I had never owned or played Brass before the Kickstarter. The Kickstarter got my attention & I ended up supporting the KS for both Lancashire & Birmingham. I also found a cheap used copy of old Brass because I had come to like the game quite a bit. But, that was just after the KS closed & there was a long time to go.

There's only a few months left until the new edition releases. Unless you're just DYING to be able to play the game, I'd hold off.

(Or consider buying the app on Steam, iOS, Android, etc to get your fix in)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
Tigrillo wrote:

I disagree, but more importantly, I like to see designers get paid for their work.

Maybe it's because I don't speak Canadien, but how is it that the designer of Brass is not getting paid for his work if you buy a copy of Brass?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
Maybe it's because I don't speak Canadien, but how is it that the designer of Brass is not getting paid for his work if you buy a copy of Brass?

I'll help out with the Canadien's translation.
Make yourself some pop corn and go read this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
Hawke wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
chearns wrote:

The 2p variant having been P&P since soon after the games release, and included as standard in recent printings of the game.

In short - Brass Lancashire is the same as the original game, with some very minor errata.
The old 2 player variant had been different then the one offered in the Roxley edition. They skimmed the card deck (also for 3 players) rather then cutting locations from the map.

The 4 player game is preety much the same game, like mentioned. And in theory, you can play according to the old rules regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Susumu wrote:
The old 2 player variant had been different then the one offered in the Roxley edition. They skimmed the card deck (also for 3 players) rather then cutting locations from the map.
Eagle Gryphon games offered a two player map that removed some locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Kissling
Switzerland
Olten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:

You make me laugh laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Jonas21 wrote:
Tigrillo wrote:

You make me laugh laugh

I actually mean it. I prefer to have an easily playable game to this dark monster. I also prefer the old London to the new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Kissling
Switzerland
Olten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if I was rude, I know everyone has another taste.

My thoughts on this toppic.
If they hadn't made this new edition I never would have looked at this game. Which is a shame because its a really great one! I played the app, and even against bots it's great experience.
My problem with the old version is, that it looks like a flowchart, there is hardly any artwork, its just graphic design. It maybe functional, but its not immersive at all.
It looks like as if it is a dry, themeless game. But IT ISNT, I i find it highly thematic and interactiv. For me the new board is a mich better representation of the theme and the feeling I have while playing.

I know some people dont mind if a game is just all about mechanism (maybe you too?). but for me, I need more, clever mechanism, strong theme, gorgeous artwork. This is in my opinion the ideal package.

you fear that the artwork it is destracting or too dark? According to the great guys and girl from Heavy Cardboard, its absolutely no problem.

Another thing. If I want to play the game in my gamegroup, the theme alone will not sell it to my friends... industrialisation? Coal and cotton tranport? But maybe with the great artwork (dont you admit that the map looks intriguing?) I can lure them in. And once they are playing, they will realise that its a fantastic game!

Cheers and merry christmas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Don't worry, Jonas. I wasn't offended at all. I know I'm in the minority here (and that it's most likely a very small minority). I agree with completely that mechanisms on their own do not make a great game. Unless it's an abstract. To me, having a close tie between mechanisms and theme in a credible setting are the most important thing. And no extra complexity for complexity's sake like you see in so many modern euros. That's why Martin Wallace is the greatest designer in my opinion. Nice artwork and bits is great to have but it isn't doing much for immersion in a Euro. I'd much rather have a great game with indifferent artwork than a mediocre game with fantastic artwork (e.g. Scythe). I just do not like the artwork chosen here so I prefer the non-interfering style of the Warfrog edition. It's a shame your friends are not willing to look beneath that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawke wrote:
They also increased the point value of L1 cotton..

No kidding. That seems like a significant rule change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mauer
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
photocurio wrote:
Hawke wrote:
They also increased the point value of L1 cotton..

No kidding. That seems like a significant rule change.

Supposedly it's not, it turns building L1 cotton from "always a bad idea" to "occasionally not a bad idea"

Not sure how exactly how that was calculated, though I understand that it's based on the records of the orderofthehammer online play site as well as expert opinion from top Brass players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonas21 wrote:
If they hadn't made this new edition I never would have looked at this game. Which is a shame because its a really great one! I played the app, and even against bots it's great experience.
My problem with the old version is, that it looks like a flowchart, there is hardly any artwork, its just graphic design. It maybe functional, but its not immersive at all.
It looks like as if it is a dry, themeless game. But IT ISNT, I i find it highly thematic and interactiv. For me the new board is a mich better representation of the theme and the feeling I have while playing.

I have a different response to the art. I love the art, by Peter Dennis, on the original edition. I find the art on the new edition to be overly dramatic and distracting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Kissling
Switzerland
Olten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
photocurio wrote:
Jonas21 wrote:

I have a different response to the art. I love the art, by Peter Dennis, on the original edition. I find the art on the new edition to be overly dramatic and distracting.

Ok, the artwork itself is not bad. But on the board they are so lost on these monotone ereas...
The good thing is, that people who like the old edition can stay with it. But the new edition will draw new people in! Something I doubt the old edition is still able to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... I am disgusted and disappointed, but I still want to believe people can be honest and sensible.
badge
If am still here, it is only for the gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
The original player colours are as ugly as they are functional (at least for non-colour-blind people).

However, art is not pretty/strange pictures. The board looks very much like a development map on which an 18th/early 19th century industrialist would chart his progress and the progress of his competitors/partners. It has that kind of attention to both artistic detail and accuracy so specific of that era still richer in manpower than in machines.

What's more, it depicts you as industrialists who are developing their region in the same way a painter turns a canvass into a work of beauty. You optimistically attempt to get rich and famous respectable by developing technology nobody else has dared to implement into reality and by providing a livelihood to people nobody else would employ for the same kind of wages. No greedy capitalist would open an iron works thinking "I am building this to fill nature and the people's lungs with soot, and make everybody's life miserable for my sadistic satisfaction."

This is what the original art conveys so well - and so in tune with the story told by the game - and is so meh or entirely lacking in the app UI or in the new edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.