Subject: Solo play city setup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
arry -
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Hi,

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but here goes.

Quote:
reveal
and discard the 4 top cards of the deck and use their cost
numbers to determine the positions of the tiles. The first
city is placed counting from top left to right and down, like
reading. Skip any illegal placements (like areas reserved
for ocean). For the second city you step backwards from
bottom right in the same fashion.

How exactly do you do that?

If the first card is Virus (cost 1), then the city tile is placed to the top-left corner (Uranius Tholi), that right?

What if the first card is Indentured Workers (cost 0)? Do you place it in Uranius Tholi (seems wrong because 0 is not 1, and Virus places there)? In bottom-right (the slot with word Aronia), because 0 is one less than 1, and the loop goes this way (seems wrong because weird)? Or do you place the 0 in Uranius Tholi, and by virtue of that place the 1-cost in Tempe Terra (this invalidates all the solo games I've played before)? Do you burn it and draw a normal card with a positive cost (seems the most acceptable, at least bright and positive, outcome)?

Thanks for your attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Either redraw or place it in the first legal spot.

See: Re: Solo play setup and Indentured Workers pulled during setup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arry -
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Thank you, and shame on me for not having searched enough before posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, I've played probably 30 solo games and this has never happened to me. Now I know what to do when it does (though I probably would have just put it in the first location anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arry -
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Another fun question!

My cities came into areas #34 and #35 (the last two areas of the longest stripes of hexes in the middle). There are no valid placements around the second city. Where does its greenery go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I thought you'd look here...the answer is slightly cryptic
badge
Water has many forms, mostly in the form of hexes
mbmbmbmbmb
The city on 34 is an illegal placement, since it's next to the city on 35.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arry -
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Steve C wrote:
The city on 34 is an illegal placement, since it's next to the city on 35.

Good point, didn't think it applied for the starting city placement. But this just moves the question one step further: with a city on #33, its greenery on #34, the second city on #35 is again boxed in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is no legal placement for the second city's greenery tile, then you cannot (and do not) place a second greenery tile. If this ever actually happens to you after a decent shuffle, I'd go buy a lottery ticket, and don't forget your towel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arry -
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
If there is no legal placement for the second city's greenery tile, then you cannot (and do not) place a second greenery tile. If this ever actually happens to you after a decent shuffle, I'd go buy a lottery ticket, and don't forget your towel.

Easy when you can run 3000 simulations in 5 seconds. Who can be bothered to shuffle 200 cards when you have Technology! [science tag]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Mai
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty notable edge case though. Hex space 35 is the only space that is adjacent to exactly one non-ocean space. With the first city on 25, its greenery on 35, you'd skip placing the second greenery tile in this scenario with the lack of a legal spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.