Hide
5 Posts

Xia: Legends of a Drift System» Forums » Variants

Subject: Any try starting off with upgraded ships? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Howe
msg tools
My only issue with this game is the time is takes to play. One thought I've had is to start off with more weaponry? or possibly the 2nd tier ships? The idea being once people get tier 3 ships and good weapons the threat of real conflict with other people is very real and getting 3 points for blowing up a ship sure speeds things up.

Has anyone tried this or a variant of this? Did it speed things up? Did it make the game more combat oriented?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
For a shorter game, play to less fame.

As the players get more plays in, this particular game speeds up more than you see with experienced players in a lot of other games so your point of frustration will eventually resolve itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming you're using the rules in the expansion related to drawing missions, which can significantly speed up turns. Obviously a smaller player count or a lower FP threshold can decrease playtime as well. And it depends on your playgroup, but with more experience, players can often play faster. I often regularly start my turn while the person before me is still in their business phase. Sometimes it matters what they do and I can wait if needed, but usually I can play on.

One other idea that could be appealing or distasteful to your group is a houserule I used before Embers was released: instead of rolling dice when activating an outfit, you can take the expected value (round down). So a d6 engine gets you 3 movement guaranteed. You can roll if you want, but you can instead just take the 3. It speeds up play quite a bit because there's less rolling and more predictable movement so you can plan out your turn.

Regarding your variant idea, I think it might decrease overall time, but it would make early turns longer, and make early mistakes more costly. You could start everyone with 8k or 10k or something like that, and then let them spend it on a ship upgrade if desired. I think it might give some first player advantage to be able to pair your tier 1 and 2 ship abilities, but you could offset that with letting people play in reverse order of ship selection.

If you try it, let us know how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new mods that are in the expansion help to make the game a bit more combat oriented. You also get to start with 4000cr now instead of 3000cr (if I remember right).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Luke
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gameplay time IS an important thing to consider in choosing what you play/own, but I feel like the common methods of speeding up Xia rob it of what makes it so great....true freedom. Compare it to Firefly for instance where there's an overarching scenario/purpose which is ironic for a game themed to a show that was all about being independent and bucking restrictions and convention.

If the time commitment of Xia is a problem, I'd suggest that it's not really the game you want. But I'm a purist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.