Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Which version of the game will I get if I buy it now? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
O P
msg tools
mb
Hi guys,

I just recently played the game and am seriously considering buying it myself. The thing is, I saw that I missed OS 3 by a few months, so unfortunately I won't be able to get that.

I looked at Amazon and some other sites and saw that they're selling the base game for a reasonable price (kindda), but I'm not sure which version of the game I'll get. I would love to get the latest one with all the changes, but I'm assuming OS 3 will get to retail only sometime next year.

Is there a way I can know which version of the game I'm buying? Also, would you wait for OS 3 to hit the market before you buy the game, or just buy whatever version is on the market currently?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Copies on shelves now are probably first or second edition, but you can easily download the errata. I wouldn't wait until OS3 ships if you want the game, as there is no telling how many copies will actually make it to retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto! Just buy the game. You won't regret it. The game is fantastic as is and a little errata fixes any issues that there is right now. A someone who previously passed on a few expansions and now is having a heck of a time tracking them down, you regret it if you wait and miss out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O P
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the input

Other than the errata changes, is there any difference in components or quality that I need to be worried about from first or second edition? asking just in case I'll be able to choose which one I want.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claymore Nash
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
IIRC second edition has a slightly different nightgaunt model (it's just how its tail is attached, no cosmetic difference) and thinner but less brittle plastic trays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Carroll
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Cthulhu Wars Homebrewers Unite!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Petersen Games online shop has the improved Nightgaunt figures and reprints of the OS2 faction cards. If you wanted to get the Core game now, I would assume that OS3 versions of the faction cards will be made available on the PG store or eBay once OS3 is in the backers' hands. My own Core came from the first Kickstarter, and for a while I was using printouts of the errata alongside the faction cards. Once you know the errata, you don't even really look at the printouts any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatOldOne wrote:
Other than the errata changes, is there any difference in components or quality that I need to be worried about from first or second edition? asking just in case I'll be able to choose which one I want.

If you get the 1st edition, you may end up with the (visibly) inferior miniature production run. Petersen Games had to switch to a different supplier because they were so dissatisfied with the first run of miniatures. This is confirmed by PG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O P
msg tools
mb
Thank you for the all replies guys.

So basically I want the OS2 version of the game to avoid lower quality miniatures, but I would still need to use the errata for it. That's fine imo.

If I take a look at Amazon for example: https://www.amazon.com/Petersen-Games-PETCTHU01-Cthulhu-Wars...

Is there any way to tell which version is it other than to send the seller a message?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatOldOne wrote:

So basically I want the OS2 version of the game to avoid lower quality miniatures, but I would still need to use the errata for it. That's fine imo.

If I take a look at Amazon for example: https://www.amazon.com/Petersen-Games-PETCTHU01-Cthulhu-Wars...

Is there any way to tell which version is it other than to send the seller a message?

Not really.

I'll note that the "inferior" first run really isn't that different from the second run - some people had problems with the Nightgaunts breaking, and a couple of the models (notably Hastur) had larger gaps in the seams. But the average person is not going to notice a difference by looking at them. I have the first run, and have painted all of them, and they look fine. Unless you are a miniatures collector and extremely particular, I wouldn't worry about which version you're getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O P
msg tools
mb
AmadanNaBriona wrote:
GreatOldOne wrote:

Not really.

I'll note that the "inferior" first run really isn't that different from the second run - some people had problems with the Nightgaunts breaking, and a couple of the models (notably Hastur) had larger gaps in the seams. But the average person is not going to notice a difference by looking at them. I have the first run, and have painted all of them, and they look fine. Unless you are a miniatures collector and extremely particular, I wouldn't worry about which version you're getting.

Good to know, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First edition also has the unique box with all the backers' names printed, so 2nd isn't strictly better if you're into that kind of thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E J
msg tools
Second edition box is slightly smaller ad has slightly revised nightgaunt figures (to be less breakable, although why this didn't deal with the other too-breakable figures is bwyond me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nightgaunts were to a large degree the most fragile (i.e. require replacements), such that apparently redoing their molds made economic sense. The other molds are much less fragile, and therefore it's presumably not economical to redo those molds unless/until they wear out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O P
msg tools
mb
Btw, just to give an update to people, I ordered from Amazon and got the OS2 edition.

Unfortunately, the shipment or something was handled badly and I got a torn a box and 2 broken miniatures

I glued the miniatures, so they should be fine, but the torn box is really depressing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claymore Nash
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Aw, that's a bummer. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.