Subject: Hermes "Move your army" effect? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Dolan
United States
Rockford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
From level two on, praying at Hermes' monument allows you to "Move your army" a number of regions. "Army" is defined in the glossary as "All Hoplites belonging to a single player in a single region".

Do you have to move -all- the Hoplites in the region if you choose to use this effect?

It seems like it would, but the glossary entry for "Army" refers you to "March", which clearly states that you can move any number of Hoplites (but strangely never refers to them as an "Army").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pat Dolan wrote:
From level two on, praying at Hermes' monument allows you to "Move your army" a number of regions. "Army" is defined in the glossary as "All Hoplites belonging to a single player in a single region".

Do you have to move -all- the Hoplites in the region if you choose to use this effect?

It seems like it would, but the glossary entry for "Army" refers you to "March", which clearly states that you can move any number of Hoplites (but strangely never refers to them as an "Army").

We certainly played it as you could move what you wanted. Dunno if it's in the new rulebook (it wasn't in the beta). But your movement is stopped if you move into an area with another players army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stavros tsiakalos
msg tools
mbmbmb
At Essen during the demo games we also played it that you could choose. It is a good question for the FAQ the designers will put out after the holidays.

The term Army is already ambiguous. During battle, the term refers to all hoplites in the region, both fortified and not. But for movement, the fortified ones count as being in a different region.

An interesting follow up question would be what happens when you are allowed to more your army 2 or 3 regions (with later levels of the monument), and you first move your army into a region already containing your own hoplites. Can those tag along for the rest of the move? I would say no, as you don't interact with regions you are simply moving through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awaken Realms
msg tools
publisher
mbmb
Pat Dolan wrote:

Yes, you can actually choose number of hoplites, you don't have to move all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Misztal
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
melkathi wrote:
An interesting follow up question would be what happens when you are allowed to more your army 2 or 3 regions (with later levels of the monument), and you first move your army into a region already containing your own hoplites. Can those tag along for the rest of the move? I would say no, as you don't interact with regions you are simply moving through.

I'd also say no - you move one army, and by combining it with new hoplites you actually create another army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Samborski
Poland
Wrocław
dolnośląskie
flag msg tools
Kumoja wrote:
melkathi wrote:

I'd also say no - you move one army, and by combining it with new hoplites you actually create another army.

You're right Stavros - you simply move through, no taking other folks along for the ride.
On the other hand, you can't "hop over" enemy Hoplites, because battle happens as soon as you enter Region with enemy presence. With few moments for any blessing which lets you kill any Hoplites before actual battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Harrison
United States
Glens Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
melkathi wrote:

I have a follow-up question to THIS follow-up question: Nevermind about picking up extra Hoplites, but... can you drop some hoplites off as you go?!?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.