Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Carey
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just picked up Armada much to her chagrin. We are both gamers who love Star Wars and have enjoyed minis games, but I think she's been wishing that I would never be able to choose between X-wing and Armada. After getting both starters "for christmas" and then opening them early devil I have decided I like Armada more.

So we picked up quite a few expansions already...

We of course have the starter set as well as:

For the Imperials an ISD, VSD, Interdictor, and Imperial Fighters

For the Rebel scum a CR90, Assault Frigate Mk II, Rebel Transports, and Rebel Fighters

Is that a good start? If I was to pick up 1-2 more items what should I get? We also have a copy of the Corellian Conflict and are eager to start a 3v3 game of that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Have fun, you have plenty of ships.

A Liberty would look good with the Reb fleet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are near a Barnes and noble, they had a lot of armada 50% of about a week or so ago.... there may be some left.

Also pick up the campaign, I found it great for new players because it limits the builds you can do to start and that takes a lot of the complication out of the building and lets you get used to moving ships about and combat.

Armada is great, X-wing is more popular but I think thats due to the much shorter play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Leary
United States
Elizabethtown
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malloc wrote:
If you are near a Barnes and noble, they had a lot of armada 50% of about a week or so ago.... there may be some left.

Also pick up the campaign, I found it great for new players because it limits the builds you can do to start and that takes a lot of the complication out of the building and lets you get used to moving ships about and combat.

Armada is great, X-wing is more popular but I think thats due to the much shorter play time.

And if you ARE near a B&N, keep an eye out for the near-weekly discount coupons, which DO apply to clearance items. I picked up a large amount of Imperial and Rebel capital ships for 70-80% off over the past 3 weeks from B&N... I even grabbed a second core set, as $30 was too good a price to pass on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
1 or 2 more items?

Rouges & Villains, Nebulon expansion.

Unless the other members of your play group have ships of their own, that's not really enough for a CC campaign. I know, because we're a group of new players and we're starting one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestions for you would be the Gladiator Star Destroyer pack and the Hammerhead 2-ship pack.

Screed is a staple for any list relying on critical effects (such as ACMs, and Assault Proton Torpedoes out of the MC30 pack). The Demolisher is one of the most powerful meta units in the game, and a keystone piece of the Empire.

The Hammerhead gives you Leia, who is a pretty potent commander on lists that use pretty much only one command. Hammerheads also give you activation bonuses by way of cheap activations, and they are not bad as cheap gunships either. Better than Nebulons in this role in every way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Carey
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone!

And yes we are planning the campaigns and no, no one we know has any Armada stuff

My guess was that if I could put together about 650-750 points worth of ships for both sides that we could have a reasonable amount of variation for each fleet... Of course I'll need more than that if we do the mega battle!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RicharDISNEY
United States
Rescue
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My two pence....

Gladiator
Rogues and Villains
c30

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I second (or third?) getting a Gladiator. It's a great ship that fills a nice void in your Imperial line-up. It's speed 3 so you can have some good repositioning battles vs all those faster Rebels ships you own.

Because you have a Rebel Transport, I would recommend picking up the Imperial Assault Carrier expansion (aka the Gozanti Cruiser). It's especially helpful to own if you're going to play the Corellian Conflict campaign as the Imperial player might not have enough points to buy a "big" ship between turns, but they should be able to afford something like the Gozanti.

If you wanted, you could skip either the Gladiator or the Gozanti and get a Raider. They're one of my favorite ships, but require some finesse to fly and play properly. Ultimately, you're going to want at least 1 of each of those.

Finally, I don't recommend the Liberty before buying Home One. Even though I think the Liberty is one of the best looking ships in the game and tons of fun to fly, Home One is more forgiving to newer players as it can take a real beating and dish out some big hits, and it comes with a fantastic commander - Admiral Ackbar!

I'm glad you picked the campaign expansion. I'm now starting my 3rd CC campaign and I think it's a fantastic way to play Armada. You can shape some very compelling narratives around what happens and that makes the game far more enjoyable. For example, we had Vader and Leia as our respective Grand Admirals last time so it was always fun when they met on the field (space?) of battle.

With regards to the campaign, don't be afraid to start your fleets at 300 (or even 250) points. It's totally doable and actually makes the fleet building phase in between battles more interesting as your fleets have room to grow and change over the course of the campaign (plus it means you don't have to own a ton of ships to play). Have fun and good hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmbmb
Any opinions on the Star Wars: Armada – Imperial Light Cruiser Expansion Pack?

I like the design, but wonder how useful it really is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bgg_Lurker wrote:
Any opinions on the Star Wars: Armada – Imperial Light Cruiser Expansion Pack?

I like the design, but wonder how useful it really is?

First off, Moff Jerjerrod is a very strong Imperial commander who breathes new life into the Victory Star Destroyer so it's a solid buy just for that card alone.

Other great cards in the Arquitens expansion that are useful for a number of ships: Minister Tua, Reinforced Blast Doors and Dual Turbolaser Turrets.

As for the ship itself, I like it a lot. I just wrapped up a Corellian Conflict campaign where I was running several Arquitens + Slaved Turrets with Vader as my commander. They are quite squishy, but make great long-range snipers (5 red dice with Slaved Turrets + a CF dial and rerolls with Vader) and can put out a surprising amount of damage for the cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.