Subject: What's this Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All my niece can remember is it was building a French town (or something), 1-word title, tile-laying kinda like Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Next, what's a game about building houses and hotels, 1 word title, sounds like "colonoscopy"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Great! Next, what's a game about building houses and hotels, 1 word title, sounds like "colonoscopy"?

Killme?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Esbech
Denmark
Odense M
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Anachrony? Not sure I'd call exosuits "hotels" though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

The more obvious it is, the harder it is to find, sometimes, you know
Happens to everyone.

By the way, what's with using city names to name games?
I come from Orléans, yet I'm not a meeple you can put in a bag, shuffle and place on a board that barely resembles the region I was born in thank you.
And it should have been called Loiret, really. Or Région Centre.

Anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Esbech
Denmark
Odense M
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
russ wrote:

The more obvious it is, the harder it is to find, sometimes, you know :)
Happens to everyone.

By the way, what's with using city names to name games?
I come from Orléans, yet I'm not a meeple you can put in a bag, shuffle and place on a board that barely resembles the region I was born in thank you.
And it should have been called Loiret, really. Or Région Centre.

Anyways.

So you and two friends didn't go to university and find another friend who was a scholar there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arctic Jack wrote:

IDK if this is the game, but it's certainly captured my interest. What are your thoughts about this game? And does it play well w/2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DonkeyJay wrote:
Arctic Jack wrote:

IDK if this is the game, but it's certainly captured my interest. What are your thoughts about this game? And does it play well w/2?

Where do I start with the greatest Euro ever designed?

I've played it over 800 times. I broke into the top 100 players on BSW. I Got a handful of wins over some top 10 players. Eventually I burned out on it when I realized that if I wanted to progress any further I would have to study it. I couldn't justify studying Caylus over other games I love such as Chess, Backgammon, Checkers etc.

To tell the truth Caylus ruined euro-gaming for me. Every time I sat down to play a euro they just couldn't hold a candle to Caylus. Eventually I just admitted to myself that Caylus was the epitome of Euro design and left Euro gaming behind and headed back to abstracts and light social games.

Caylus has zero randomness apart from the set up. 99% of my plays were the 2 player game where I found my preference. It plays great 3 and 4 player, some people say the 5 player game takes too long but I have next to no experience at that count.

If you like games where the winner always deserved to win and you have to really think and play the best moves at every point along the way, then Caylus can't be beat by any other Euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arctic Jack wrote:
DonkeyJay wrote:
Arctic Jack wrote:

Caylus has zero randomness apart from the set up.

If you like games where the winner always deserved to win and you have to really think and play the best moves at every point along the way, then Caylus can't be beat by any other Euro.

OMG, I think I'm in love. And it will pr'ly remain unrequited, because I don't know any serious gamer in my area. cry Damn you, Bernard... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DonkeyJay wrote:
Arctic Jack wrote:

Nothing to see here. Keep moving...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DonkeyJay wrote:
Arctic Jack wrote:
DonkeyJay wrote:
Arctic Jack wrote:

Caylus has zero randomness apart from the set up.

OMG, I think I'm in love. And it will pr'ly remain unrequited, because I don't know any serious gamer in my area. cry Damn you, Bernard... shake

If you like your games super dry and super long, you're in for a real treat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DonkeyJay wrote:

You don't have to be a hardcore serious player to enjoy Caylus. My wife and I are casual players (a few plays each year) and we enjoy it very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geof Givens
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

It feels like one too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
DonkeyJay wrote:
Arctic Jack wrote:

Wait, so it's not Carcassonne?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:
DonkeyJay wrote:
Arctic Jack wrote:

Wait, so it's not Carcassonne?

What my niece played was indeed Carcassonne.

But I find Caylus more intriguing. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.