Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie» Forums » General

Subject: First timer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I've prepared a topic (a 4 pager) with my board game life before the introduction. Then just clicked on previous. Damn. Missed that one. Will try in some bullets:

* Got into board gaming when I was young (monopoly, Hotel, the usual stuff,..)
* Getting older (student) party games came along. At university I've played Risk ***** of times with abreviated rules. Those were the days
* Still playing
*BAM

Got to an age where you can afford to buy an Imperial Assault Set. Started painting (I like it). I've got a group of 8 (best friends) who are realy enthousiaste playing this game. And another army(who would like the gameplay in a non SW-setting, with less complicated rules..). About SW: I love the setting...

So, here we are on heroscapes. I saw some movies on YouTube. Seems like a great game.
Got hands down on ROTV -second hand- (50 $) & -first set- (50$).
To Do or not do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
That is an answer only you can make. For those of us who were fortunate to get everything before the game system ended, that was an easy choice.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain_badass wrote:

Got to an age where you can afford to buy an Imperial Assault Set. Started painting (I like it). I've got a group of 8 (best friends) who are realy enthousiaste playing this game. And another army(who would like the gameplay in a non SW-setting, with less complicated rules..). About SW: I love the setting...

Couple thoughts:

* Heroscape is an easier rules set than Imperial Assault...Much more of a beer & pretzels feel.
* Heroscape is usually always played as a skirmish, not with scenarios
* Heroscape doesn't require any painting...but you can paint other figures and make cards for them in Heroscape
* Heroscape is non-star wars, but folks have done custom cards for SW figures, so best of both worlds

Be warned that if you play a little and like it, you will be compelled to hunt for more (gotta have it all!), and these days some expansions are pricey.

For many of us Heroscape will always hold a special place in our hearts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How much money do you have. It's a great, fun system. But, OOP and going to cost you a ton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain_badass wrote:
And another army(who would like the gameplay in a non SW-setting, with less complicated rules..). About SW: I love the setting...

Star Wars Heroscape
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zade Koch
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Heroscape has clearly withstood the test of time. It has a fantastic ruleset which balances complexity with simplicity. As others have mentioned, it can be very collectible and since it's out of print, content can be pricey. Still, the game shines even if you have nothing more than the single master set.

I highly recommend the game. It's an extremely unique and entertaining offering that has fantastic potential for custom expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain_badass wrote:
So, here we are on heroscapes.

If you want to try it out first, I hear these sets can be picked up for about $5. This will tell you whether or not you want to pick up more.

Arena of the Planeswalkers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks. Bullet point 1 is probably the main thing that convinced me to start buying/playing this.

The painting: I like it but If possible I really prefer pre painted.

Just told the Good news to my friends:

"Whaaaat! Samurais vs police vs dragons vs ...!"

Thanks all for the Good advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s not that expensive. Come on over to Heroscapers, be patient on the trades and sales sub forum, you’ll find what you’re looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.