Portugal
Vila Nova de Gaia
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
Nosin' aroun'
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Does anyone have any idea how we have messed up? We completed game 1, then went into game 2. On wrapping up we have no idea how to proceed to game 3.

There was no update in any crate that we opened for rule 26 which, since it hasn't been updated, still gives the details on how to end game 1.

Yours frustratedly,
surpriseSprydle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Ward
United States
Newport News
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you have card 400 on the table through game 2? If not, pull it out now and do what it says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rowley
Portugal
Vila Nova de Gaia
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
Nosin' aroun'
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, we'll do that, but I'd like to know why. What did we miss?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
after you finished the first game, you extracted card 17, that gave you the rule 26 you talk about in your original post. By following indications from card 17, you should have keep extracting cards until you reached the card 21, which tells you to extract card 400 and read the text exposed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rowley
Portugal
Vila Nova de Gaia
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
Nosin' aroun'
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnnymaxx wrote:
after you finished the first game, you extracted card 17, that gave you the rule 26 you talk about in your original post. By following indications from card 17, you should have keep extracting cards until you reached the card 21, which tells you to extract card 400 and read the text exposed.

Thank you!

I can see what happened now. We usually only play at the weekend, but when we received Charterstone yesterday afternoon we were so eager to start playing that we forgot that we hadn't eaten, that it was a week night, etc, etc.

Because of this, we started to get really hungry and took a break to eat. By the time we finished eating, it was already quite late and we may have rushed the ending just a little, and not paid as much attention as we should have. Thanks for getting us back on track!

We both love the game so far, and I'm a little annoyed with myself that I messed up.

Cheers,
Sprydle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sprydle: I should have included a note in the game that you should play the first game with a full stomach and a good night's sleep.

You only missed a little bit, so it will be easy to catch up on. Also, make sure to check out the FAQ--it's divided into sections so you won't read more than you should:

https://stonemaiergames.com/games/charterstone/faq/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rowley
Portugal
Vila Nova de Gaia
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
Nosin' aroun'
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Sprydle: I should have included a note in the game that you should play the first game with a full stomach and a good night's sleep.

You only missed a little bit, so it will be easy to catch up on. Also, make sure to check out the FAQ--it's divided into sections so you won't read more than you should:

https://stonemaiergames.com/games/charterstone/faq/

Hehe. You can try to make something idiot proof but some of us are rather accomplished idiots!

We both absolutely love this game - thanks so much for creating it!

Sprydle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big fan of Legacy games. I love campaign games in general, but Legacy games are special because of the permanent status of things. It gives us that fear of making the wrong choince during the game, and also the satisfaction of learning to live with our decisions with no turning back. Not to mention the complete satisfaction of having a completely customised board, a world that only you and your group knows how it was made, only your world have this shape and form and it is there to remember you all of the stories played forever.

The problem, gameplaywise, is that it is really easy to miss something due to table talk or any kind of distractions. I remember in Pandemic Legacy my group made a mistake that made our next 2 games too easy, and later we made a mistake that made our games seemingly impossible by the end of the campaign. We only got that mistake when it was already too late. In SeaFall, one time we also missed one particular instruction that really hindered our game, but this time we noticed in the middle of said game, since we were already experienced from Pandemic Legacy and realized that we should have missed something because it should not be so hard.

I think what I want to say with all of this is that the most important thing to do in a Legacy game is to read everything with total attention. Read flavour text, read the footnotes of a card, of a rule, everything. Sometimes we have the feeling like "ok I got this, the rest is just flavour text let's move on!" and this is when mistakes happen.

So far, I can honestly say that my best experiences with board games were with Legacy Games (and Twilight Imperium, of course ^^), and since Charterstone was my third I was really carefull with all the reading and everything was really smooth. It is a joy (and an amazement) to try to put myself on Jamey's foot while he was designing the game and writting the rules and cards. There is so much that must be double, tripled checked, so much that he must make sure it is written so it doesn't break the fun for anyone, that it is no wonder he said somewhere he is not doing Legacy games anymore. Which is a shame, because I was really counting on it for that future and final Scythe expansion he keeps teasing us about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.