Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Tips For Easier Housekeeping When Playing Solo With Multiple Characters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin
Australia
Terrey Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi

What are you guys doing to keep track of things easier and make the game flow faster when controlling multiple characters solo?

I am using dice to track the enemy health as its an easier visual cue.

I have the character action cards spread out on the table in a grid and mark the selected cards with cubes.

Looking for tips that I can incorporate into my gameplay to make it easier to track things.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie P
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
Uberstax help a lot to save space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James K
New Zealand
Petone
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to do a solo campaign eventually, when I do I'm thinking about themeing the names of the characters in each "lineage" to distinguish them. Perhaps using a distinct title for the characters of a lineage, or giving them names that start with the same letter of the alphabet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justinas K.
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
use apps, GHTrack for enemy hp tracking is great.
there are others that can help with enemy modifier deck and ability cards decks like gloomhaven AI.
there is a page that helps tracking all campaign not only monsters and such, just don't remember now what it is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Quimbey
United States
Santa Fe
New Mexico
flag msg tools
What I do is:

1.) Use use GHTrack for enemy hp tracking, this MASSIVELY reduces headaches in the base game. (I don't recommend D20s or roll downs as much as this app. It is seriously the best way to track damage I've found.)

2.) I use different colored dice to quickly reference monster stats. For instance, I took all the D6 out of One Deck Dungeon (never play it anyway) and use them as follows

Pink: movement
Blue: Standard damage
Yellow: Elite Damage
Black: Range

I put all the dice in a line above the monster stat card, this way when an enemy is out you can quickly see what the damage, movement and range is so you can add or subtract quickly and calculate damage without looking in two or three different places. After you determine this you use GH track to input damage.

3.) PLANOS PLANOS PLANOS Look up Y.A.S.S. on bgg. Best storage solution there is and it goes miles to reducing fiddliness and setup time. It's also better than any insert could be because you can see the reverse side of tiles as well. Using these tips I've never felt the game to be fiddly like I did when I played without them and I can usually go from opening the box to ready to play in about 10 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo R
msg tools
Oh man thank you for the tip on the One Deck Dungeon dice. I have two copies of the base game sitting unused and this is going to certainly help my son and I with our campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
I have the characters all infront of me (usually playing solo with 4 of them) with some space in the middle. The attack modifier decks are on the left edge for #1, on the right edge for #4 and towards the middle for #2 and #3 so that I don't accidently draw from the wrong modifier deck. The handcards are laying ontop of the character sheets face down, then I chose cards for each character, one after another, and place them with the leading ini card face up on the free space in the middle so that the cards chosen for this round of all 4 lie next to each other. Close to that, I place Monster envelops and ability cards so that I can quickly oversee the initiative order. To increase the speed I sometimes keep the monster ability cards and the modifier deck away from my table and instead place my tablet or smartphone there, using an app which in one click draws new cards for all monster or modifier cards when they attack.

If I apply any condition, I always place it next to the monster or character figure, so that I can quickly see what everyone got while planning my move without forgetting something.

For damage I use the recommended standard mechanic with damage tokens on the monster sheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee Wongsa
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use an LCD tablet to keep track of initiative numbers and turn order:
https://www.amazon.com/IGERESS-Writing-Electronic-Digital-Dr...

I also use dice on the monster sleeves to track health. And dice to track character health and XP. And dice on hazards or traps to indicate the amount of damage dealt. (I have a lot of d6s...)

Any condition tokens are placed near the character mini or monster standee. It's easier to remember to remove them this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-One thing that helped my group with the initiative values was to use the silver circular tokens that have numbers on them. First everyone flips their cards. Second I take a token for each player + the monsters on the board and put a token on the stacked player cards and the monster ability card in numerical order. No one takes the token off until it's their turn. On the player or monster's turn I remove the token from the pile. The token stays near the player or monster's pile so you can tell who went in what order to break initiative ties. I grab the tokens on the cleanup phase and repeat.

-A second thing I have found is that for whatever reason I would forget when a monster gains + to shield. When a monster has or gains shield, I add one of the mini summon chits to the board using the number of gained shield (IE the #1 summon for plus 1, #2 for plus 2).

-I put a money token on the monster number when I'm playing a scenario with spawned / summoned monsters so I know who drops a coin and who doesn't. Spawns and summons don't drop anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
2.) I use different colored dice to quickly reference monster stats. For instance, I took all the D6 out of One Deck Dungeon (never play it anyway) and use them as follows

Pink: movement
Blue: Standard damage
Yellow: Elite Damage
Black: Range

I put all the dice in a line above the monster stat card, this way when an enemy is out you can quickly see what the damage, movement and range is so you can add or subtract quickly and calculate damage without looking in two or three different places. After you determine this you use GH track to input damage.

I might have to give this a shot. I played 3/4 of a round looking at an Archers range stat as their damage stat last night...... "DEAR GOD THESE GUYS ARE HITTING HARD TONIGHT!"

Just out of curiosity, what sized dice does it use?
Never mind, guess I could have just looked this up..... Standard is the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Smith
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
orientcoyote wrote:
Uberstax help a lot to save space.

How many sets of Uberstax do you have? Looks quite handy! Each pack of Uberstax holds 6... is that enough for, say, three players to accommodate two "levels" of card holding?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie P
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
I only have one set unfortunately but I thought about what you were suggesting too. I got another set. That would be the best count for 2 levels of card holding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CoOp Legacy
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
5 sets of uberstax for 3 characters is what I run. You might be able to get away with only 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.