Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A buddy acquired a copy recently and wanted to get this on the table, so we obliged.

I'm intrigued by these sort of games because you don't have the advantage of 20/20 hindsight

In this case you are the field marshal of Northern Command, controlling three out of your country's four field armies, and limited control of the pieces of Southern Command, the Guard and the Marine Corps (evidently controlled by the Navy).

My opponent led the Northern Command of Redmark with an unprovoked attack on our peace-loving Blaustadt still in Garrison. This was apparently a hastily ordered offensive by the Redmark despot because it just involved probing attacks by Redmarkian mechanized troops. The northernmost river crossing was repulsed by Garrison troops at the bridge while the southernmost attack did force a crossing.

My overall plan was to defend the southern half of my front with, from south to north, Third Army and Second Panzer Army, while First Panzer Army gathered strength in the North. First Panzer Army started in reserve while I conceded territory in the north, while waiting to see what the Black Republic did. Southern Command was comprised of Fourth Army.

An immediate offensive was hobbled by a fuel shortage but overall things got off to a good start. In a big break, effective diplomacy (a great card) brought the Black Replublic into the war in my side and I started to array the First Panzer Army, augmented by most of the mobile Reserves in preparation for a Northern counteroffensive. My plan was to spend several weeks (turns) attriting the Redmark forces in the center-south and then launching a counteroffensive. I noticed that my opponent had a tendency to rely on high risk, low odds attacks in my opinion, so it was my judgement that I'd win the battle of attrition.

And so it proved. By the fourth or fifth turn Red forces had made little progress along the river border while losing more troops. Meanwhile I, the Field Marshal, was poised to lead reinforced First Panzer Army on a war-winning drive in the Red capital at the head of a coalition involving Black Republcan forces. The Navy picked this time (another card) to launch a diversionary invasion of Beach 3 in the the south supporting the Third Army/ Second Army counteroffensive.

While the Navy, despite Air Force support, found its invasion overwhelmed, the Third/Second offensive made adequate progress causing favorable attrition. Soon Red's Southern Command was cut off and ready to surrender. First Panzer Army prevailed on the open plains on the approaches to Redmark's capital and Redmark sued for peace on Turn 9.

Overall it was an enjoyable game. My opponent vows a rematch where I exiect he will do much better, as we discussed some tactical and strategic improvements he could try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see this old chestnut given some love. It was a good little game in its time, likely hobbled by its "fictional" setting.

We used to call it "Pocket Blitzkrieg."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.