Subject: Faction Introductions and Reference Sheets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Ogilvie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've introduced several people to this game, and they have all enjoyed it, but seeing as I'm the only StarCraft nerd of the bunch, we found that one of the biggest obstacles to getting a grip on the game we've had is stuff like "how do I know what the difference is between a Marine and a Firebat before I've memorized all the cards in my deck?" or "how do I know which character I want to be?" or other kinds of questions that arise from being unfamiliar with the setting. Additionally, many people find the research deck pretty unintuitive to sort through until people already know what they're looking for.

I've printed off some excellent guides that folks on the boards have produced, but I realized that what I was looking for was something that could sort of inform people about what units and characters were what and also what techs worked for them all in one go.

So that's what I've made! Each faction gets its own sheet, describing briefly their leader and what sort of strategy their cards aim for, their race and what kind of advantages/disadvantages they have in general, and then each unit that belongs to the faction with a bit of flavor text and a minor gameplay tip for each. On the other side of each sheet is a more familiar quick reference of the min/max values for each unit, plus a list of very briefly summarized technologies that are relevant for each.

I drew my initial inspiration from checking out msmilo's tech tree, and I ended up referencing StefanSasse's strategy guide a lot to make sure I was providing reasonable advice.

Anyway if there's anyone still around looking at StarCraft stuff, check them out! I'd love to see if people find these helpful.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/157294/bloodysloths-facti...

A couple of previews:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
I think is a great idea and the protoss faction look great! Please share the rest when you have done it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
... ...
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful stuff, great job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ogilvie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vica8081 wrote:
I think is a great idea and the protoss faction look great! Please share the rest when you have done it.

Oh the rest is done! Check out the link in the OP. I just threw up Aldaris as an example. Sorry I wasn't very clear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kory
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
I treasure the real-time strategy genre above all dissimilar things within the entertainment sector
badge
A data addict who you are likely to encounter on this site, especially if you are reading this message.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rafael simao
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a pretty good idea! I was just wondering how to introduce the units to a group this weekend. Thanks for sharing your effort!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ogilvie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mestrejonas wrote:
That's a pretty good idea! I was just wondering how to introduce the units to a group this weekend. Thanks for sharing your effort!

If you end up using these, I'd love to know how it turns out!

I've already spotted a couple of typgraphical/grammatical errors that I need to get around to changing, but if I can find more, or if there is anything especially helpful or especially confusing about any of the entries in the reference sheets, that'd be great to know before I work on an updated version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ogilvie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an update, I have a new version uploaded which fixes up some errors, clarifies some language, uses a new, more legible font, and shrinks the printing size so that they can now fit under the lid of a Plano 3650 storage box when printed and cut out.

Check em out!

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/157294/bloodysloths-facti...

edit: I also am working on a quick-and-dirty version friendly to printers that cannot rock margin-less printing, though my official recommendation is to get it printed on nice card stock from a local UPS store or something.

edit 2: Aaaannnnd they're uploaded. There is now a margin-safe version of the summaries as well as a full image version available for download.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Just saw your great paint job! Would you consider putting up a painting guide, technique, etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ogilvie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah for sure. I'm not sure if it warrants its own thread, so I'll just go through the process here:

I was cognizant, when starting out, of my propensity to be really way into a project at first, and then to peter out as it nears completion. I was also aware that this would be the largest project, number-wise, of any miniatures project that I had undertaken so far. Those two things, combined with the fact that these older FFG minis honestly leave a little to be desired as far as paint-ability is concerned, led me to go for a really simple paint scheme that I could crank out at a pretty fast and even pace while watching youtube videos, without getting bogged down or stressed over very fine detail and decision making.

As such, the minis aren't the most elaborately detailed paint jobs I've ever done, but I'm still really proud of finishing the whole job, and they certainly look better painted than unpainted. I only mention this all to excuse myself for just how simple all of this was! Also worth noting, I'm a creature of habit that was way into Warhammer back in the day, so unless I note otherwise, all the paints I used were Games Workshop's Citadel model paints. Anyway, here we go:

For the Terrans:

I first spray primed the entire army with Leadbelcher Spray paint. Then I detailed all the visors and glass with Abaddon Black base paint, everything that was supposed to be grey and non-metallic with Skavenblight Dinge layer paint, the white Medic armor with Ceramite White, and the Firebat armor with Wild Rider Red.

For the team colors, Mengsk/red was easy. I just detailed those parts I wanted in Evil Sunz Scarlet layer paint. For Raynor/blue, I started with Caledor Sky base paint, but that was too dark, so I ended up mixing it with Baharroth Blue edge paint until I got a suitably vivid color.

There were a few odd details. The medic's visor is bright blue; I used straight Baharroth Blue for that. Terran units also have a number of lights fixed to them which I used Dorn Yellow edge paint for; I also used this color for the jets at the backs of the Valkyries, Vultures, and Battlecruisers. Siege Tanks also have a flat bit on the back of their turret which is yellow-and-black hazard striped; i used Abaddon Black and Yriel Yellow layer paint for that.

Then, I washed the entire army with Nuln Oil wash.

After that, I highlighted raised edges, corners, and the upward-facing bits of curved surfaces. Wherever there was Leadbelcher, I Highlighted with Stormhost Silver layer paint. Wherever there was Skavenblight Dinge, I highlighted with another lighter mixed grey that I had made for another previous project; if I were to pick a Citadel color, I'd probably go with Dawnstone or Administratum. For everything else I just highlighted with the original color.

For the bases of the ground units, I coated them with Dryad Bark base paint, and then slathered on a really thick coat of Agrellan Earth technical paint (NOT Agrellan Badlands, which screwed me up royally when restocking my own supply) washing the base with Reikland Fleshshade, and then drybrushing with Averland Sunset. Once that was all done, I painted the rims of the bases with Abaddon Black, spray-finished the lot of them with Army Painter's Anti-Shine Matt Varnish, and then, once that was dry, went back and detailed the glass and other shiny bits with 'Ardcoat technical paint.

Whew! That was more typing than I thought it'd be. It's late over here, so I'll leave it at this for now, and get back to y'all with the protoss and zerg tomorrow.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ogilvie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK I'm back! I should note before I move on to the protoss that I heavily utilized the newly released StarCraft: Remastered in order to figure out which colors to use where on the models. The minis for this game really vary in accuracy to the source material game, so I had to use a little artistic license here and there, but it was a really helpful source of information anyway.

So, for the Protoss:

I sprayed the lot of them with Retributor Armor. I should note here that I went to patch up uneven spots afterward with the normal Retributor Armor paint, but the colors actually don't match! I ended up cleaning up the bits I missed with the spray with Liberator Gold, which was still a little off, but much closer.

Then I picked out details. For everything that was psionic energy blue I went with Baharroth Blue. For earthy brown stuff I used Gorthor Brown. Protoss skin was all painted Rakarth Flesh. Green items where detailed with Moot Green.

The protoss of course have some unique units that warranted special attention, which really slowed down the process of churning out their armies. The archons' energy bodies were all Baharroth Blue, but for their armor I took a gamble and painted them with Dryad Bark. The Dark Archon armor was Rhinox Hide as well, and I went with Wazdakka Red for their bodies. The Dark Templar didn't feel right with normal gold armor, so I picked out their armor with I beliieeeve Gehenna Gold.

For orange's teamcolor I used Fire Dragon Bright, and for yellow's I used Flash Gitz Yellow.

Then I washed everything with Agrax Earthshade.

For highlights I used the same technique for the terrans, just running along interesting edges and blending along curved surfaces where it was easy and I thought it looked nice. I mostly just did highlights with the original colors, with a few exceptions. The Archon armor I highlighted with the same light blue mix I used for the blue terran teamcolor, and the Dark Archon armor I did highlights with Khorne Red. With some of the energy stuff I did an additional highlight with Blue Horror. The normal protoss gold I highlighted with Liberator Gold.

The bases for the ground units I dealt with in the same way as I did for the terrans.

I'm a bit short on time now, so I'll come back and go through the zerg stuff a bit later. I hope somebody finds this information useful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ogilvie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, last entry here, this time for the zerg. Before we get started, another general tip. Before I spray primed the armies, I took strips of masking tape and thoroughly wrapped the clear bases of all the air units. This was pretty tricky in the case of some of the zerg especially, like the scourge with their two stands per unit, or the queens which sort of envelop the point where they meet with the stand, making it tricky to properly get masking tape up there to protect it. I ended up using tweezers to help in those cases.

So anyway, for the zerg:

I spray painted the whole army with Army Painter's Barbarian Flesh spray primer. I patched up any unevenness with Citadel's Cadian Fleshtone. Then, I picked out all the details. Pretty much all bone spike and teeth stuff was picked out in Flayed One Flesh. The occasional eye, where I decided to bother with the eyes, was Wild Rider Red, except for the queens' eyes which I did in black. Several zerg units have some muscular bits that show up as dark blue, which I represented with Altdorf Guard Blue.

Again, the zerg have some particular units that warranted special attention. Lurkers and Devourers have a good amount of carapace that is a dark brown, instead of the usual fleshy sienna. For that I used Mournfang Brown. The Devourers also have a different, more orange skintone, which I picked out in Ratskin Flesh (or maybe Jokaero Orange? They're similar colors and I didn't write it down...). Devourers have yellow bone spikes, as well, which I painted in Zamesi Desert.

The Guardians were particularly annoying because they share very few colors with the rest of the swarm, and also they have very segmented bodies that alternate colors, making them slow going. For their pale bits I went with Flayed One Flesh, for their dark carapace I used Gorthor Brown, and of course the Altdorf Guard Blue for their blue meaty bits.

For purple's teamcolor I used Genestealer Purple, and for green's I used Moot Green.

Then I washed the lot of them with Reikland Fleshshade. Since this is the same wash I used for the bases, I painted up the bases for the ground units before washing the zerg units, instead of afterward like for the other races.

For highlights, I used the original colors, except as noted here. Of course I used the same technique mentioned previously. Wherever there was Barbarian Flesh or Cadian Fleshtone, I highlighted with Ungor Flesh. Wherever there was Mournfang Brown, I went with XV-88. I did the highlights for Gorthor Brown with I beliieeeeeve Karak Stone.

There were a couple of things I was disappointed by with the zerg. I think if I were to start over, I would basecoat the blue areas with a darker blue, so the Altdorf Guard would pop more as a highlight. Likewise, purple's teamcolor gets lost a bit amongst the other colors, so I'd maybe want to try a more vivid purple to highlight with. Just a few tweaks here and there, really.

Like with the protoss and terran I spray finished them with Army Painter's Anti-Shine Matt Varnish. After that had cured, I went back with Citadel's 'Ardcoat and picked out bits I wanted to be glossy or slimy.

And that's that! I may come back to these posts occasionally to correct or add stuff as I remember things I missed or got wrong, but that was the whole process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Thank you so much for the detailed breakdown. I'm practicing on another game's figures before tackling StarCraft, but I really want to paint this and Forbidden Stars, it adds so much to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.