9 Posts

Chimera Station» Forums » General

Subject: Components too hard to attach / detach? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam P.
msg tools
mb
I'm surprised I haven't been able to find any discussion on this. I must be a weakling (:

The worker components are too difficult for me to snap together. I can manage a few, but as the contours of the bases dig into my skin, and the domes of the heads slip out of my grip, I imagine having to repeat this routine every time I send a worker to the Worker Splicing Lab action space... and now I'm already considering getting rid of my copy, without having even played the game once. It's frustrating.

Has anyone else had this problem, or at least felt the components are tighter / stiffer than they need to be? Or is my complaint laughably dismiss-able?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been some people in the groups I have played it with that have difficulty with the parts.

I assume after a little use the connections will loosen up and be a little easier to connect/disconnect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It helps a lot if you make a "turn" or "screw" movement while (de)attaching parts.

Make a clockwise movement with your left hand, whilst making a counterclockwise movement with your right hand.

I hope I've explained myself a bit clearly, but indeed: straight-up pushing them on and pulling them off is hard. Doing the screw/turning movement works wonders. Definitely try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only found the brain components to be a bit difficult to attach/detach.

In general, the screw movement is a good recommendation. Additionally, for attaching components, it is often easier to put the worker feets down on the table and attach the other components from above, pressing straight down to the table (instead of holding everything in both hands).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
MetalPirate wrote:
I only found the brain components to be a bit difficult to attach/detach.

In general, the screw movement is a good recommendation. Additionally, for attaching components, it is often easier to put the worker feets down on the table and attach the other components from above, pressing straight down to the table (instead of holding everything in both hands).

The table method is what I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a strongling, I snap back and forth, and I won't stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam P.
msg tools
mb
Well, twisting the pieces and pushing down onto a table surface are both things I've tried, and while they help a little, I still have too much trouble. I guess I just don't have the strength. Either that, or the pieces need to be broken in somehow, like stiff shoes.

Regardless, thanks for the advice, all! I'm glad these techniques are working for some of you, at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The table method helped me too. As a side note, I have found that if I'm not careful I get a pinched finger when snapping pieces together.

On the whole though, I think I'd rather have it be too hard than too easy; I don't want them to be in danger of falling apart! They seem to be of really good quality and functional design; I'm impressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Soper
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
At the expense of a little dignity, perhaps you could enlist the aid of one of the other players, someone who is having no difficulty with this?

What? This is not a cooperative game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.