Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: Wow - looking for some thoughts from folks who finished the game - spoilers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary M
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,

So my Seafall game just ended. I was winning by a lot, and in a good position to dominate glory overall.

But frustration boiled over.

We were stuck on the masques mission and discovering the final island mission, and we had the secret of the statues missions left as well.

And we looked ahead to what we missed out on, and we have no idea how we would've unlocked either objective.

We clearly missed the importance of the inquisition...

So the four society leaders add +5 to the check to discover the final island, is that the idea?

How did we access the maps quest?

If somebody could briefly figure out what we missed...we would've kept playing the game until the book ran out, unable to advance at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, questioning people is incredibly important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Box 5 is supposed to go as follows:

- Interrogate advisors. A few of them tell you that for the rest of the campaign, when you interrogate advisors, you can shine the light on their backs as well.

- You continue to interrogate advisors, and find the back of a few of them have the symbol on the last island insert and a +5. This is a chart to the end of the world (the first person to see one of these gets the milestone).

- Someone with one or more of these advisors attempts the final island discovery and succeeds. You open Box 6. That's all there is to it!

There's a sideline with the statutes, but that's not actually required:

- Some advisors tell you, on interrogation, that everyone can now shine the light on the tomb map. You find there are seven markings on it, each a three symbol sequence.

- Some advisors tell you, on interrogation, that everyone can shine the light on tablets they own. You find each tablet has a conversion of one symbol to one digit.

- You find additional tablets or steal sufficient from others to decode an entire three digit number from the tomb map.

- You do an Explore action at an open tomb, following the rule of "pick a number from the tomb map" to pick the decided number. You either discover the Secret of X (earning a milestone and hence 6 glory plus possibly an end-game bonus)...or you gain 1 glory and get very annoyed at the lack of other reward for the effort you've gone to.

The secrets do help with something in Box 6, although not really in a significant enough way to make a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary M
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think our problem was that once the milestone for interrogating society members was completed, we didn't do it ever again.

We lost how important it was. We would have continued playing the game unable to progress...thankfully my friends actually cancelled the game cause they didn't want to play anymore because I was so far ahead.

We never, ever would've finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
You get glory for interrogating advisors, so there's a definite incentive to do it and very little disadvantage. I think that rule is sufficient to push the game towards its conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary M
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fair enough. Like I said, we didn't do it after the milestone departed. Too worried about spending extra money on advisors when they came up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So very much on this page that should be spoiler-tagged for those who come across it by way of Google...

Note that
(Box 5)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
enmity placed due to interrogation has no impact on *reputation* cost! Yes, interrogation is essential to finishing the game, which is why it's introduced so prominently as a new rule, and given such a nice bonus (1 glory, and not even an action?! Yes, please!

Also,
(Box 5++)
it's not overly difficult to get those 30 successes for the final island. Not easy, mind you, but not overly difficult. You need a minimum of one Wave Chart, of course (+5 successes). You could have up to four, if your opponents aren't paying attention, or have been too worried about interrogation enmity (additional +15 successes). The temple is powerful, if you can build it (+9 successes). You can still use the normal charts (up to +2 successes each). Then you have your dice pool (not too hard to get 12-15 dice if you've worked on exploration). And you don't really *need* all 30 successes, you just need to survive. So if you've got any two upgrades on your flagship, you can safely soak 4 damage (so you need only 26 successes). If one of your upgrades allows you to use fortune, all the better (+2 successes).

All told, that's a potential for almost 50 successes I've listed there (assuming an average roll). You only need about half of those things to succeed. And there are a few other options I didn't list.

In any case, I'm sorry you had a disappointing experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary M
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ahhh the extra cost thing was critical. Yes, makes sense. Like I said we stopped doing it right after the milestone was defeated. Missing out on that one detail derailed us completely.

With the charts it definitely would have helped. I think I could've done it, I had the ability to get very high dice, I had stocked a ton of research cards.

Oh well. I enjoyed it. Loved the theme thought it was a great game. Missed the one nuance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Garyaxe wrote:
Fair enough. Like I said, we didn't do it after the milestone departed. Too worried about spending extra money on advisors when they came up.

one extra money for a glory is an outstanding ratio of points per money spent. it can be worth it to buy cheap advisors that aren't that helpful just to interrogate them. i'm really surprised no player decided to do that. in our campaign it was rare to see an uninterogated advisor within a few games of box 5 opening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.