Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aram Schvey
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see two potentially contradictory rules about whether a location card can be used while it is under attack:

Rule 4, under "The Importance of Locations and Location Cards" says that "If you lose a location on the board due to raiding or conquest (and your opponent does not elect to settle it upon victory), the location is out of supply, or the location is under attack, then its corresponding Location card is effectively a “dead” card in your deck until you either recapture it, the battle ends, you re-establish supply, or you remove the card from
your deck (see 4.4 – Supply, for more details).

Seems very clear that a location card for a location under attack is dead.

BUT... Rule 4.4 says:

A location can trace a line of supply over any number of regular land connections and across any number of Sea Zones, except for those that are enemy-controlled. Supply can be traced into or through unoccupied areas, friendly or uncontrolled Sea Zones, and areas where a battle is taking place.

In short, under 4.4, supply can be traced "into...areas where a battle is taking place." That would suggest that a location under attack (but which has not been conquered) is not out of supply (and that the card can still be used).

If I recall the rule correct from A Few Acres of Snow, a location card for a location under attack is dead, and I'm guessing that's the correct rule in Hands in the Sea. But it would be great to get clarity given that the rules seem to be in tension with each other (at least per my reading).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out of supply and under attack are 2 different conditions where the card is dead...the 3rd being when you actually use it. So yes it is a dead card until you survive the attack (otherwise you lose and give it to the opponent).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.