Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Phelan
United States
Lake Waukomis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Five Tribes is one of my favorite games and I wanted to make a custom board
to hold the tiles and cards because Five Tribes can tend to sprawl all over the place.

I took very thin plywood, painted it white, then painted some trim and
glued it on the edges. I also put 3 stripes of trim on the bottom to lift it from the table a bit. I then cut a groove in the pink and orange boards to hold the cards and then glued a slanted piece to those boards so that the cards are slightly tilted up for readability. This is a very inexpensive and simple project anyone can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Sarkoth wrote:
This is a very inexpensive and simple project anyone can do.

I think you may grossly underestimate the incompetence of some of us (I include myself) when doing anything handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Phelan
United States
Lake Waukomis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Glue, paint, a jigsaw, circular saw or table saw and a tape measure is all you need. Biggest key is not to be obsessed with it looking perfect. Mine isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
You could achieve a similar result with chipboard/artist board + trim, a handsaw and glue, so it's really not as hard as you might think. Looking mighty fine by the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Phelan
United States
Lake Waukomis
Missouri
flag msg tools
I suppose you could even use foamcore. Would work just as well and you could buy the colors you want, so no painting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job anyway, I find you nailed the colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Phelan
United States
Lake Waukomis
Missouri
flag msg tools
I took the pink blue and orange player pawns with me to Hobby Lobby to match the colors. I tried mixing to get those colors and realized very quickly that I suck at mixing colors!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Paladin
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarkoth wrote:
Glue, paint, a jigsaw, circular saw or table saw and a tape measure is all you need. Biggest key is not to be obsessed with it looking perfect. Mine isn't.

Um, no.

The biggest key is to BE obsessed... with not losing any fingers (at least for some of us).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Phelan
United States
Lake Waukomis
Missouri
flag msg tools
If you're not willing to spill a little blood for board games, I'm not sure we can be friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon David
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paladin82Y wrote:
Sarkoth wrote:

Um, no.

The biggest key is to BE obsessed... with not losing any fingers (at least for some of us).

Losing a finger is a badge of something im sure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Takenokojon wrote:
Paladin82Y wrote:
Sarkoth wrote:

Um, no.

Losing a finger is a badge of something im sure...

Distraction. whistle
A wise shop teacher once said: "It's not the hand holding the tool you have to worry about. It's the one you're not concentrating on that's going to get hurt! Watch out for the dummy hand."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarkoth wrote:
Five Tribes is one of my favorite games and I wanted to make a custom board
to hold the tiles and cards because Five Tribes can tend to sprawl all over the place.

I took very thin plywood, painted it white, then painted some trim and
glued it on the edges. I also put 3 stripes of trim on the bottom to lift it from the table a bit. I then cut a groove in the pink and orange boards to hold the cards and then glued a slanted piece to those boards so that the cards are slightly tilted up for readability. This is a very inexpensive and simple project anyone can do.

Looks really good Sark!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Phelan
United States
Lake Waukomis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks James! I fear the only thing that spurred me to making this is the OCD invoked by the tiles not being straight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.