Walter Gottlieb
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game. But in my several games against my roommate (both 2-player and multiplayer), he has used the same strategy every game and won with it almost every time:

1) Uses Warfare (never Colonize) to get Advanced planets, preferably ones with Research icons on them, or Metallic planets with Warfare icons on them if he can't find any Research planets
2) Uses the Research role whenever possible to get technology cards with Research icons, to maximize the number of Research icons in his deck (both from the extra Research cards from leading the role and from the icons on his tech cards)
3) As soon as he gets 4 Research symbols, he leads the Research role to get Data Network
4) As soon as he can after that, which is sometimes even on the very next turn, he uses Research again with the icons from Data Network (he never ever plays it for its action) to get Adaptability
5) Now all his Research cards (of which he has a lot now) have all role icons and he can boost or follow anything as much as he wants, and he wins.

I know this game isn't flawed and I'm pretty sure this strategy can be beaten! The game seems like it offers so many good and strong options for different playstyles. But this strategy completely ignores what feels like an entire half of the game (the Colonize, Produce and Trade roles, not to mention the other two planet types and their associated technologies). But this strategy seems to be too efficient and none of the other strategies I've tried can reliably keep up. I bet there are a lot of things that I just haven't thought of yet. What can I do?

As an afterthought, the reason why he wins so much may be that he has his strategy decided on before the game starts, while I like to try different strategies and choose them during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, interesting. I lose to my wife all the time, guess I'll try this next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy. Survey-Warfare strategy with fast depletion of the warfare deck gives you faster points and should end the game before the aforementioned strategy even comes to adaptability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luiginumber1 wrote:
But this strategy completely ignores what feels like an entire half of the game (the Colonize, Produce and Trade roles, not to mention the other two planet types and their associated technologies).

That is because ignoring half of the roles is perfectly fine.

You don't need colonize and warfare. You should pick one and focus on that. Get rid of the cards for the other role. Yes, you don't get to follow, but you get an extra card draw. Following a bad (for you) role can be a much less appealing option than drawing a card that will help you (because if it won't, you should've gotten rid of it).

I don't know about that specific strategy, I haven't played in a long time, and I don't even remember what cards do. But it seems to me from your description that your opponent is winning less because of the specific combo he focuses on and more because you're lacking focus and trying to do everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.