Subject: Steam Winter Sale, so much Wargamey goodness at 50-90% off ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
... and quite a bit of questionable crap, too.

This time I threw down on Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa, Distant Worlds, Hold the Line, Drive on Moscow, and Ultimate General: Civil War ... even though the last one looks goofy, I'm a sucker.

A lot of great games on sale, what did you find? Any you recommend others steer clear of, even at half price?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
“... an iron curtain has descended across the Continent.” — Sir Winston Churchill (1946)
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
Unity of Command with both expansions. Covers the entire Eastern Front of WW2 from Operation Barbarossa to the fall of Berlin. One of the most elegantly designed games I've ever played.

On the heavier side, but not much heavier than the Decisive Campaigns series, I'd recommend Gary Grigsby's War in the East. The expansions are also pretty good if you just want to play the scenarios and not the full campaign. If you like WITE, you'll probably like Gary Grigsby's War in the West too. (Although, be warned: It is quite a step up in complexity compared to WITE.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to be a Krampus, but it just gets on my nerves at times, wargame publishers, Slitherine especially, port your damn games to Linux!

Of all the games mentioned here, of which I'd like to try most, Unity of Command is the only one that runs on Linux, thus I already own it.

I know I'm a niche within a niche within a niche, but still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
“... an iron curtain has descended across the Continent.” — Sir Winston Churchill (1946)
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewbwm wrote:
Sorry to be a Krampus, but it just gets on my nerves at times, wargame publishers, Slitherine especially, port your damn games to Linux!

Of all the games mentioned here, of which I'd like to try most, Unity of Command is the only one that runs on Linux, thus I already own it.

I know I'm a niche withing a niche withing a niche, but still.

Oh, I get the feeling. If it wasn't for gaming being almost exclusively on PC, I'd be running Mint Linux.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won’t! George S. Patton
mbmbmbmbmb
SeriousCat wrote:
Unity of Command with both expansions. Covers the entire Eastern Front of WW2 from Operation Barbarossa to the fall of Berlin. One of the most elegantly designed games I've ever played.

On the heavier side, but not much heavier than the Decisive Campaigns series, I'd recommend Gary Grigsby's War in the East. The expansions are also pretty good if you just want to play the scenarios and not the full campaign. If you like WITE, you'll probably like Gary Grigsby's War in the West too. (Although, be warned: It is quite a step up in complexity compared to WITE.)

I second all of what Cameron recommends as I have everything but WITW that he lists here.

Not sure if any of these are on sale now but I would add 1775: Rebellion, Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front, Advanced Tactics Gold Edition and Vietnam '65. All of these are, IMO, well worth the cost and are extremely fun & challenging to play.

I know that some folks don't consider it a wargame, but Twilight Struggle also deserves to be very high on this list and the digital version is very well done and captures the board game's nuances very well indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Siso
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
Praise the sun!
mbmbmbmbmb
I play computer wargames a lot and I think I can recommend the following ones:

- Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops. It's Harpoon but updated and better. I just love this game but keep in mind it has quite a learning curve and it relies on you knowing the basics of modern warfare. Radar principles, terminology, and so on. If you like Harpoon you have to play this.

- Strategic Commnand: WW2. It's maybe the best WW2 strategic boardgame-like game now available. Very nice IA, good mod support, easy to learn/hard to master, very far from the abstraction of Hearts of Iron... I highly recomend this.

- Flashpoint Campaigns. It's a great mix of boardgame and PC game with the best command and control model by far, since Command Ops. Cold war gone hot and really good scenarios. A bit abstract on the resolution of things but the feel of quality vs quantity is marvelous. Another really good one.

- Buzz Aldrin Space Program Manager. If you like the space race or played Buzz Aldrins Race into Space on the 90s, get this. Plain and simple. if not... not much for you here since the theme is most of the game.

- WITE. Real nice for the discounted price. Have been playing it in an irregular intervals since it came out. It's good but the IA is not. One patch makes the IA easy to steamroll and the next one gives unfair advantages to avoid that. And playing human vs human relies on house rules. Good but be aware.

- Qvadriga. Fast, simple and adictive. It's just like Circus Maximus with a great campaign mode in the "just one more race" mood.

- AGEOD games: a bit of hit and miss here. Love Civil War 2 or Alea Iacta Est. Won't comment on others.

Hope it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John David_ wrote:

Not sure if any of these are on sale now but I would add 1775: Rebellion, Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front, Advanced Tactics Gold Edition and Vietnam '65. All of these are, IMO, well worth the cost and are extremely fun & challenging to play.

Battle Academy 1 was a much more entertaining game than I had expected. I believe the sequel also has a Mac version these days, so I should probably try it sometime. I hope it is possible to buy it from Slitherine as a drm-free download instead of on steam though, even if that is more expensive? Not so fond of having stuff I buy locked into some cloud platform under someone else's control.

EDIT: Yes, BA2 is on sale directly from Slitherine as well. Tempting!

http://www.slitherine.com/products/product.asp?gid=541&Platf...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Edwards
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Together down the ages we have fought the long defeat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes of Normandie and expansions and Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition) and expansions are on sale. I've gone for HoN at last (I want the physical Heroes of Black Reach I think). Some great PC-exclusive games too - Order of Battle is on sale (Panzer Corps/etc will almost certainly also be on offer but I already have all of that). Total War: Warhammer too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if there are any Panzer Corps expansions that are not included in the Gold Edition? The game description says it includes "all its expansions" and "Hundreds scenarios linked together in 18 huge campaigns". But it also says "all fronts of the war in Europe and North Africa", and it looks as if there are expansions covering other fronts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Siso
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
Praise the sun!
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
Does anyone know if there are any Panzer Corps expansions that are not included in the Gold Edition? The game description says it includes "all its expansions" and "Hundreds scenarios linked together in 18 huge campaigns". But it also says "all fronts of the war in Europe and North Africa", and it looks as if there are expansions covering other fronts?

It does include all. It has Panzer and all the grand campaigns, Soviet Corps, US Corps, and wven Sea Lion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John David_ wrote:
SeriousCat wrote:

I second all of what Cameron recommends as I have everything but WITW that he lists here.

I know that some folks don't consider it a wargame, but Twilight Struggle also deserves to be very high on this list and the digital version is very well done and captures the board game's nuances very well indeed!

The Winter Sale is enormous, it's a good bet that just about any game you think of is on sale. All of the games you listed are on sale!

I have Twilight Struggle and it is great on PC, so fast and easy to play, only downside is waiting for the AI. And it isn't slow, it's just that all other parts of the game are so fast ... it's on sale for $4.49

Is the 1775 adaptation good? It and 1812 are on sale. But they are from HexWar and a lot of their products look like a whole lot of notworthit, even at 5 bucks a pop when on sale.

The Unity of Command Trilogy is $7.49. If there was a "must buy" that would have to be it. It's amazing in every way, worth full price, now 75% off!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won’t! George S. Patton
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:

Is the 1775 adaptation good? It and 1812 are on sale. But they are from HexWar and a lot of their products look like a whole lot of notworthit, even at 5 bucks a pop when on sale.

I think 1775 it's a good port of the board game and even more worth the price now that it's on sale! Some folks have a complaint about the dice rolls that the AI seems to get as compared to their own, but I've found it to be reasonably even and fair for both sides.

The AI turns can be a bit more slow-paced then some would like but overall, the gameplay is fine as I'm not in any rush and use the time to my advantage by planning out my response to the board state that the AI is creating with its move/strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone play Steel Division?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SabreRedleg wrote:

I end up playing quite a bit as I have two friends that love it, though im not quite so enthralled myself. I usually play Guards Armoured and try to crocodile everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
Is Conflict of Heroes faithful to the board game in terms of rules?

It is very, very faithful and even improves on it in some ways . . . when it works.

The game has long gone without support and is hit or miss as far as getting it to work.

At this point, I can't recommend it any longer at any price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad Battlefront never put Combat Mission on sale.
But hands down the very best squad level game ever made.

Recommend also Command: Naval modern warfare and Flashpoint Campaign mentioned above.
They are often on sale.

DCS 50% off at moment on most aircraft now. But be prepared this is a simulation with 200-400 page manuals for each aircraft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
eker wrote:
Too bad Battlefront never put Combat Mission on sale.
But hands down the very best squad level game ever made.

Recommend also Command: Naval modern warfare and Flashpoint Campaign mentioned above.
They are often on sale.

DCS 50% off at moment on most aircraft now. But be prepared this is a simulation with 200-400 page manuals for each aircraft.

Combat Missions is AWESOME. For anyone who likes tactical combat, this series is a must. Expensive but worth every penny.

Mandatory stuff - makes CM worth a ton of gold

http://battledrill.blogspot.no/2013/08/blog-post.html

http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike rosberg
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Mission is great but much prefer Graviteam Tactics: Mius Front or Tank Warfare: Tunisia (same platform as Mius Front) for squad level action. Both games + expansions are on sale on Steam and are much cheaper than CM even when they aren't discounted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
Rekim wrote:
Combat Mission is great but much prefer Graviteam Tactics: Mius Front or Tank Warfare: Tunisia (same platform as Mius Front) for squad level action. Both games + expansions are on sale on Steam and are much cheaper than CM even when they aren't discounted.

Could you explain the differences between Gravteam and CM?

Tried Graviteam - but did not click for me.

Feels like they tried too much.
Loosing Command and Control is OK and realistic. But loosing control over the game itself is just stress.
No doubt it is a great game - but not for me.
Maybe I am too familiar with CM GUI
- and not able to switch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike rosberg
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:

Could you explain the differences between Gravteam and CM?

Some of the more obvious difference that I have noticed:

-GT titles are single-player pausable real-time-strategy games. Play is similar to CM in real-time mode. No We-go support with GT

-The standout feature for GT games is the campaign system. They feature large strategic maps (also historical) on which players control battalion and regiment sized units. Operations on the strategic map determine the tactical battles that are generated. The outcome of tactical battles are reflected on the strategic map.

-The visuals and sound in recent GT titles are a step above CM IMHO. Both have an excellent physics models.

-The user interface of the two titles are functionally very similar, however, the documentation and tutorial system is not a strong point with Graviteam games. If you are familiar with CM chances are GT will not be difficult to learn.

-CM covers more theaters. GT games have numerous modules per theater.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matrix Games’ Lock n Load Heroes of Stalingrad is 50% off now. It is an excellent port of the LnL system to the PC.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/349/details/Mark.H..Walk...:.Heroes.of.Stalingrad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything good on Steam that covers the Western Desert campaign?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neill
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SabreRedleg wrote:

I'd say it is my game of the year! It does a fantastic job of conveying scale (often you cannot see the guns that get you), and combined arms (you cannot just tank rush). The AI is very good - even normal difficulty is a challenge. Most importantly, I've never felt angry at the game - if I lose, I know why, and I learn from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
Taskforce 58 wrote:
Anything good on Steam that covers the Western Desert campaign?

Gary Grigsby's War in the West has an expansion, Operation Torch, which covers the desert war after the 2nd Battle of El Alamein. Not much of the desert war left, I'm afraid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neill
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pelni wrote:
[q="John David_"]

EDIT: Yes, BA2 is on sale directly from Slitherine as well. Tempting!

http://www.slitherine.com/products/product.asp?gid=541&Platf...

Thank you! It's half the price of the Steam version too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.