Armen
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'm interested in getting some Medium-Heavy Euro games that look great on the table.

A few Euros I'm currently considering:
Bora Bora
Burano

I'm wondering what else exists out there that folks have played and had a good experience with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recently picked up Lisboa; looks pretty amazing. Just played solo so far but I like the mechanisms in this one, and I tend to generally enjoy tableau building, multi-use cards, player boards, building stuff and getting stuff, so this game has a lot going for it IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lewis & Clark

Just make sure to play with a lower count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armen
United States
California
flag msg tools
skybreak wrote:
I recently picked up Lisboa; looks pretty amazing. Just played solo so far but I like the mechanisms in this one, and I tend to generally enjoy tableau building, multi-use cards, player boards, building stuff and getting stuff, so this game has a lot going for it IMO.

Thanks for the suggestion! I've heard about that game, but the heaviness rating of 4.43 scared me away from it. I'm moreso looking in the below 4.00 heaviness games. Is it really that heavy of a game in your experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thought of another game that looks nice: Shakespeare. This is a medium-weight game but is very tight and so it feels heavier than it probably is. I have the expansion (Backstage) but haven't had a chance to play it competitively yet (did some run-throughs of it though) but it appears the expansion is probably a must-include.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Elysium is beautiful. Even the box is a work of art laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, since you asked for medium-heavy in the OP... that's about where I'd put Lisboa from what I can tell so far. The rulebook is pretty dense (very wordy) but in actuality the game-play is pretty smooth and the included player aids are helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingOfKabob wrote:
skybreak wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion! I've heard about that game, but the heaviness rating of 4.43 scared me away from it. I'm moreso looking in the below 4.00 heaviness games. Is it really that heavy of a game in your experience?

The rules will take a while to explain to first-time players (about 1 hour), but once you get started, the game flows very smoothly. The heaviness may be due to the variety of clergy tiles and action spaces; all the possible combinations make it seem overwhelming, but most of the tiles don't make it onto the board during one game, so you only need to know the purpose of the ones that are actually in play. I've played it three times, all with 4P, and loved every single game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skybreak wrote:
Well, since you asked for medium-heavy in the OP... that's about where I'd put Lisboa from what I can tell so far. The rulebook is pretty dense (very wordy) but in actuality the game-play is pretty smooth and the included player aids are helpful.

4.43 isn't close to medium heavy. I have played two 18XX games and Vlaada's big two and the two Vital's games hurt my brain as much as anything I have played. Both of Vital's games I have played are considered lighter. 18CZ is a 4.2 and while yes, it has a rather nice flow like 18XX games have, there's a lot to process, and again, Lisboa has a weight of 4.43 which should be noticeable compared to 18CZ.

Note, I have enjoyed all of the heaviest games I have played, but I accept people tap out at lower weights.

Sredni Vashtar wrote:
The rules will take a while to explain to first-time players (about 1 hour)

Also understand how that sounds to a person looking for a medium heavy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar

Monster Lands (Kickstarter; Pledge Manager opens up soon; Late Pledges available)

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yamataï
Steam Time
Nippon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Wießler
msg tools
mbmb
Viticulture Essential Edition is the game for you! So beautiful and not too heavy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yedo
The Ancient World
Archon: Glory & Machinations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmi T.
Germany
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
Lass mich!
badge
Geh weg!
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe
also
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
and I second
Viticulture
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zorko
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add a vote to Scythe and Viticulture, great beatiful (especially scythe) games.

I also have a suggestion which might be little lighter than what you want, but take a look at Takenoko. It is certainly colorful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jędrzej Jarocki
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
Sci-fi theme makes every game better.
badge
Nexus Ops fan
mbmbmbmbmb
Five Tribes, Stone Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fresco is kinda nice looking!

I'll also second Viticulture EE and Yedo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+a million for Viticulture: EE, but it won't be "medium-heavy" without the Tuscany: EE expansion. I can't recommend this enough. It's gorgeous, it's very replayable, it's a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Lewis & Clark, Lisboa, Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar, and Elysium

Also:
Otys
Agra
The Oracle of Delphi
Chimera Station
Dungeon Petz
The Gallerist

Burano and Bora Bora are excellent games, so good choices!

For medium (not medium-heavy):
+1 for Shakespeare, Fresco, Yamataï, Five Tribes, Steam Time, and Archon: Glory & Machination

Also:
Abyss
Quadropolis
Cleopatra and the Society of Architects
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo seems to be missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
Exton
Pa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They look nothing like Bora Bora, but I think all 3 games in the "Dungeon" universe (that's Dungeon Lords, Dungeon Petz, and Alchemists) look beautiful on the table. They're all certainly colorful and fairly weighty.

Another option that may work for you is Archipelago, which may not start out looking like much, but can end up with a spectacular looking table presence.

(The illustration on each tile is pretty amazing too.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Tzolkin (get the gears painted)
+1 Lewis and Clark

Bora Bora is a great game.
Luna, another Stefan Feld, is quite appealing to the eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re4isnumber1 wrote:
+1 Tzolkin (get the gears painted)

They really can look amazing:
https://www.google.de/search?q=tzolkin+gears+painted&source=...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Voyages of Marco Polo
Village
Merlin
+1 The Oracle of Delphi, Lewis&Clark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.