Hide
5 Posts

Outdoor Survival» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules for trails rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Kaminski
msg tools
1. Do you pay 1 movement point to enter mouth of trail, regardless of point of entry, or do you only pay 1 if you enter it from the direction it points (not the other five possible points of entry)? (Like with how ford's are adressed in the rules)

2. If you are on a trail at the beginning of your turn, do you have to roll for direction ability, or can it be assumed you can always follow the path in a straight line? (That is, in lost, and you roll a 1, then a 4, would you be forced off the trail?)

3. Lastly if you have a direction change option, I assume you can intentionally veer off into a hex you can't enter, thus prematurely ending your turn.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

1. Like the fords, you need to be entering from an open side, otherwise you pay for the terrain it's in until you're on it.

2. Case C always applies. Do not roll for random direction, but do roll for turn changes in case you get to the end of the trail or wish to leave it.

3. Not quite sure what you mean by 'can't enter'. You must always have the movement points to enter any hex, but yes if you have a direction change you can leave a trail--and pay the movement points for the relevant terrain.

By the way, if you haven't discovered already, scenario 2 is the most interesting. Some people play scenario 1 and give up on the game because it seems rather pointless. Scenario 1 is rather pointless IMHO, unless you want to get an idea what its like to be lost in the wilderness. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kaminski
msg tools
Thanks!

Suppose your on a river with two movement points left. Suppose the current direction you're moving would take you onto the plains two more spaces. Let's say you'd prefer to stay on the river. You note that, by rolling a 2 in lost, you're allowed one direction change after your initial random direction. The question was: can you turn in the opposite direction to technically push you into the mountains (you initially came from) but, with only two points left, you can't make it so you stop/stay on the river as you'd like?

In other words, does a change in direction only occur if you actually move at least one hex in that direction? Or can you try to turn, but then stop due to movement points exhausted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

Ah, I see what you're after.
Well, in your specific example, no, you can't turn around 180 degrees. Moving a Person Counter, case G.
This type of maneuver isn't really covered in the rules. That is, there is no explicit denial of it, but Avalon Hill's games had a general expectation that you couldn't attempt a move that you couldn't complete, so I would say that the intent with this game was that you could not attempt such a move.

However, that kind of 'failed attempt' really fits the theme, and it would seem perfectly reasonable that a hiker in the wilderness might attempt to go somewhere that s/he later discovers to be too hard or harder to accomplish than expected. And given how hard this game is to beat, I think allowing this kind of maneuver might be an agreeable addition. I would suggest it should be treated as a house rule. As long as everyone agrees, then go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kaminski
msg tools
Thanks. Yeah it would seem that one ought to move at least one space to qualify as using/doing a change of direction (and thank you for reminding me he change in direction can't be to double back). I'll probably stick with that interpretation.

After playing a few times with the more flexible "house rule", it certainly does make it a lot easier, but by no means "easy" (eg. In 'lost' change of direction at all is only available 33% of the time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.